Pro Sites Hosting Type

Hello, I would like to start a website installation business, where I install the websites for free (Wordpress) and then charge them hosting ~$5-10/Month. To do this I would need them to have their own domain...would I be able todo this using Pro Sites? Or would it be like Wordpress.com where each blog is located at a subdomain of wordpress.com instead of it's own domain name? Also I wanted to know what type of hosting is required to run a Pro Sites type site? Should I purchase a reseller account? Or would it be better to get a VPS? Thank you for your help. In addition, if there are any resources in WPMUDEV regarding how to go about doing this, I would greatly appreciate a reference. Looking forward to hearing your response.

• aecnu

Greetings ghmaster,

Thank you for the great questions.

To do this I would need them to have their own domain

Not necessarily - this could indeed be an option.

would I be able todo this using Pro Sites?

Yes.

Or would it be like Wordpress.com where each blog is located at a subdomain of wordpress.com instead of it's own domain name?

This is how it would start out for sure though one could add the Domain Mapping plugin so that one could use their own TLD which then internally points to the sub site but reflects the TLD at all times (this can be overridden as well to direct to the sub site URL but then what would be the point of the TLD?)

Also I wanted to know what type of hosting is required to run a Pro Sites type site?

Preferably good hosting directed at WPMU Hosting that will provide WordPress centered hosting configurations to include php memory allocations and other WordPress performance related configuration items.

Should I purchase a reseller account?

If you want to sell regular hosting as well or need more then one MultiSite.

Or would it be better to get a VPS?

This is also relative to the Host and how they cut up or provide VPS's meaning do you get all unallocated server resources (the best choice done here) or are they using VM ware and provisioning just portions of the resources (most common).

In addition, if there are any resources in WPMUDEV regarding how to go about doing this, I would greatly appreciate a reference.

We have documentation for Pro Sites located here.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.