Pro Sites (Limit Websites Per Account)

Is there a way to restrict how many sites a member can create?

i.e.
Basic = 1 * website
silver = 3* websites
gold = 5* websites

etc etc

Forgive me if this is very clear but cant seem to figure this out?

• Sue

Hi jonpedlow

Pro Sites can't restrict the number of sites a user can create.

However you can restrict their use of sites using the Pay to Blog module (Allows you to completely disable a site both front end and back until paid). You can activate it via Pro Sites > Modules/Gateways in the network admin dashboard.

You are able to restrict the number of sites they create using our Membership plugin but there is not integration between Pro sites and Membership.

The Pro sites plugin was originally developed for Edublogs.org. The reason why we don't restrict the number of blogs created in our situation is the more blogs our users create, the more likely they are to sign up for multiple Pro subscriptions. We try to make sure that our users have enough features on a free blog that they sign up for our service while having considerably more on a Pro blog so they upgrade.

Hope this information has helped!

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• Kimberly

Hey There!

Chiming in with Sue :slight_smile:

You can set the blogs per subscription level by going to Dashboard>Membership>Access Level and clicking to Edit your desired level.

Once there you can find Blogs under the Admin Rules section on the right of the page, drag that, drop and set your limit.

If you are using Buddypress you will see a Buddypress Rules section on the right of the page and the Blogs option will be there instead of the Admin.

Hope this helps!

Kimberly

• jonhardison

Hi guys:

This is sort of what we needed to do as well. After looking at the membership plug-in we figured the lack of integration with Pro Sites would be more trouble than it was worth which got me thinking about another approach.

With how we have things laid out, we don't actually care about the number of blogs a paid user creates, but the amount of space they use. This 'may' also be true for some others, so I figured I'd post my question here as a possible alternative solution to Jon's problem.

In Pro Sites, do the space limits apply to user accounts or to sites?

My thinking: If space limits apply to the account level as is implied by the setup, it may be better to leave the number of blogs option opened but limit the physical space they have for those blogs. Is that what Pro Sites is doing? (i.e., a basic account gets 2GB of space and the account holder can create as many blogs as they want WITHIN THAT 2GB) Correct? Cuz that would actually be pretty awesome. It completely changes your service offering, and for the better I think.

...Or is the Pro Sites space limitation per site a user creates, because that would totally stink. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing how this works. Hope I did the right thing posting this here. :wink:

Jon (also)

• Sue

Hi Jon

The space limitation is per site and not per user. So for example on Edublogs.org our free sites currently have 32 MB storage space whereas a Pro site have 5 GB.

Storage space is an interesting one as it really depends on how they are using their sites. Most of our users don't use a lot of storage space and our users that do go over their storage limit generally as a result of uploading photos directly from digital camera.

Occasionally we'll get a Pro user ask about being able to share storage space between their sites but it is very rare and they'll normally make the site that they want the largest storage space on their Pro site. Alternatively, they'll just make all their sites Pro sites using a bulk upgrade.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• jonhardison

Thanx for that Sue:
    With all the conversations on the forums that go to Pro Sites being 'light' on user/account management, I'm hoping that a few options can be worked in natively. I know there are 'hacks' to get to the vast majority of needs. I just hate hacking things this way. It's just a time-bomb. It's going to go off, you're just not sure when.

For now, I'm going to try to figure out a practical solution to the issue using the tools previously discussed.
    Thanx again...

• Ashley Keable

If you want to use prosites and either limit each user to 1 blog or whatever max level then you can use this great plugin Limits blogs per user

It doesnt integrate with pro sites so you cant create different amounts of blogs for different subscritions or anything complicated. If your like me and just want every user to have a single blog each then it works perfect. You could then manually give members multiple blogs if they require them.

Hope this helps!

• jonhardison

Hi Akeable:

Now we're talkin'! Thank you VERY MUCH for that little find. That'll at least get our little network making sense for a little while. At least through our testing. Thank you!

Like I said before, there's just something very scary about the idea of adding an entirely new plug-in (with Membership) that I really shouldn't need. It's just too much 'stuff', ya know what I mean?

I'm going to click on your really, really long link now and download this plug-in. As it turns out I know that guy that developed it. He's quite good and I completely trust him.

Jon-

• Ashley Keable

Yeah that plugin becomes part of your default network settings. I use it on my site to limit each user to 1 blog which is all my members will need anyway.

I also have a separate custom landing page with prices and paypal options for a bulk account for clubs etc. Which i link to from my Pro Sites Price Comparison page. Then i simply log create them manually. I prefer to manually check bulk accounts anyway as i can then verify they are a club or organization and not just sploggers.

Works lovely and like i said i wouldnt feel comfortable allowing members multiple blogs as this would leave my site open to abuse from low life spammers and in turn ruin the sites reputation.

Feel free to send me some points for helping as always helps me towards my free membership. Wish you all the best and glad to be of help.

• aecnu

Greetings jonpedlow,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.