[Pro Sites] Login cycles back to login page

When a user logs out of a newly created pro site, then tries to log back in, the login page keeps cycling back to itself without logging the user in.

This is a fresh install of WordPress 4.9.9 multisite with Pro Sites, Domain Mapping, WPMU DEV Dashboard, and Snapshot.

Testing has shown that turning off domain mapping will eliminate this issue, even though there are no mapped domains. This is a sandbox site, so any changes are okay.

• Ashik
    • Staff

Hi drew_mathers,

Thank you for your question. Hope you're doing well today.

login page keeps cycling back to itself without logging the user in.

Well, when a user creates a site, they won't be able to login with their own login URL as they don't have any level yet (except first time only). Even after creating a site user get an email with the login link. That's clearly showing which link should be used to login. Check the screenshot

After upgrade to a level or manual upgrade by owner (here you), a user can login with their own login url. For test purpose, I've created a new site for me and upgraded it manually. Now I can login through my own url without any cycling back issue. To upgrade a site manully you can go Dashobard > Sites > All Sites > Manage (beside desired site site on hover) > Select preiod > Select level and click extend. Check the screenshot.

Feel free to reply here if you've any more questions or concerns. Have a great day.

Regards,
    Ashik

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi drew_mathers,

I tested further in your system, and I could notice the issue regarding this. It's an odd behaviour, could you please share your staging sites login credentials, so that I could bring this into our developers attention.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• drew_mathers
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Nithin,

I did an additional test with Pro Sites deactivated and Domain Mapping active. I creates a new site and new user manually through the WP dashboard. Login for this new user on the new site worked fine.

It seems that the login failure only happens with both Pro Sites and Domain Mapping active. If either one is deactivated, login will work.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello drew_mathers

As this is subdomain based multisite, you need to enable cross domain auto login from Network admin > settings > Domain mapping page.

Once I enabled the settings, I was able to login in.

Would you please check again and let us know?

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hi drew_mathers

There is no extra server load due to cross domain auto login, it just sets the same cookie for additional domains.

Why is cross domain auto login required on domains that are not mapped?

Well, usually this is not needed for most of the sites. But it seems due to some configuration on your server, the cookie is not being set for subdomains, when domain mapping tries to set the cookie. I assume, this is a little conflict between DM and your server configuration. That's why we are forcing to set cookie for all subsites enabling that option.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
      Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.