Pro Sites + Membership... Pay on Sign up?

Trying to set up a premium multisite network, much like edublogs. I have installed WP Multisite, Pro Sites plugin, and Membership plugin. My goals are:

1. To have 2 pricing plans: Silver ($10/month) and Gold ($20/month). No free plan.
2. Offer a 14 day free trial on both plans.
3. Require credit card info at sign up (day 1), but don't charge credit card until day 15 (after the 14-day free trial).
4. Account creation & site creation (I'm using subdomains for my multisite network) should be an easy, intuitive process. User signs up, they're emailed login info for username.networkname.com.

Step by step instructions for setting all of this up?

What's possible? What's not?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Hmm.. trying to wrap my head around this one. Are you provided a different level of service between Silver and Gold? If so, what's the difference?

At the moment I'm inclined towards Membership only, but that'll depend on the specifics of what you're looking to create.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

As William has helpfully pointed out to me in another thread, I'm being a bit dumb here, sorry!

First, enable Pay to Blog in Pro Sites > Modules/Gateways

Then in Pro Sites > Settings, you'll want to enable free trial and set a level to use for free trials (you could just use the Silver/Gold levels, or create a specific one with reduced functionality)

This would only ask for payment after the trial still and I'm unsure exactly how to go about that still, without making it too complicated, but I'll ask my colleagues to contribute their thoughts on that.

Phil

• William
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Phil. So to say, the Pay To Blog module in Pro Sites will allow us to "force" members to upgrade else their site will not be active.

Now the only thing I'm tentative is the setting of Paypal ... previously with Supporter, it's just to set our Paypal email addy there. But now, need to set up the API ... rather daunting.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, that's correct!

Don't worry about the API key, it's really simple - in PayPal just go to My Account > Profile > My Selling Preferences

You'll see a list which contains "API" - click on Update on that row. Choose Option 2 - View API Signature.

Then just copy/paste those credentials into the relevant space in Pro Sites settings :slight_smile:

Phil

• CasJam
    • New Recruit

Thanks guys -

Difference between Silver/Gold plans hasn't been decided yet, but it would use built-in functionality in Pro Sites (maybe limiting upload space in Silver, etc.).

I will try the Pay to Blog stuff later today and post back...

I'd really like to figure out a way to require payment up front (day 1). From a business perspective, it makes more sense to require customers to take action once (sign up and pay all at once), rather than twice (sign up for free, then enter payment 2 weeks later).

Not sure, but I think the Membership plugin allows that- enter CC info on day 1, then have a free trial period, then charge the CC, is that correct? If so, then it's a matter of syncing Membership to Pro Sites — and making the person's created site on Pro Sites only active when their Membership is active...

• William
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

CasJam, somehow when it comes to Membership plugin, I'm rather confuse - probably because I'm not certain exactly what privileges to give. That's why I'd tilted to join and be paid as Pro and enjoy everything rather than in first as Free members (which causes extra loading to hosting resources).

Anyway, got another question for Phil ... so the same API details can be used for multiple multisites?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Disable Front End checkbox should be untick right

Yup!

I will try the Pay to Blog stuff later today and post back...

Cool!

Yeah, the difficulty is how Membership works with Pro Sites in the right way... I'm just not sure how to make sure you tie in different subscriptions in Membership to different levels in Pro Sites...

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.