[Pro Sites] my clients plugins were all deactivated - not by anyone

all of my clients plugins were deactivated. unsure why or how. very odd, they didn\'t deactivate them neither myself. can you shed some light on this odd behaviour, it\'s the second time this has happened to this site.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Adrian,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

When I go to the "Network Admin -> Plugins" page of your site I see that some of the plugins are not active at all, some are network-enabled and some are actually active on selected sites. Therefore, I'm not quite sure which plugins/sites/user accounts should I check.

That said, could you please tell me which site(s) should I check and when (around) did this happen? Also, are they still inactive there or did you already manually activate it back?

Let me know here and I'll be happy to investigate that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Adrian,

Apologies for the delay here, we had quite a busy weekend :slight_frown:

I had a look at your site and based on the information provided this issue happened around the time when trial period expired and the site switched to paid status, is that correct?

I've created a one day trial subsite on my test site so tomorrow it should fire up the payment and I will be able to check if this happened due to trial period indeed.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Adrian!

We've been testing this on different Multisite installs on different servers. Since it's Pro Sites and we actually needed to set some new sites and let Pro Sites "do its job" on them, it took some time. Again, sorry for keeping you waiting.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce the issue in any way. It doesn't seem to be related to some bug in the plugin so something else must have happen here.

Meanwhile, support access to the site is no longer active so could you please enable it again? I'd like to take another look at the Pro Site's logs, just to make sure that I didn't miss anything and to see what additional "clues" I could find in the setup.

Let me know please, when it's enabled.

It would also be great if you could update Pro Sites to the most recent version (which has just been released) as it's addressing some important issues and bugs that either might have affected this issue or could possibly affect the site in future.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I checked the site and I got some doubts, let me explain.

First, I checked plugin list in Network Admin and all the plugins in question (from the screenshots that you provided) are not network activated. Now, that's fine if you want them to be only available on some sites and on some not.

However, on "Network Admin -> Pro Sites -> Premium Plugin Manager" page I also noticed that all these plugins are not set to be available there for any of the Pro Sites level. That would mean that when a site on your Multisite is set as a Pro Sites site, none of these plugins would be enabled there, furthermore - none of them is allowed.

I'm not sure what was the "workflow" but for example: if you manually create a site (that's not pro-site level site) and enable one of this plugins there (you can as a super-admin) and the site then is switched to the Pro Site Level site - the Premium Plugin Manager wouldn't allow these plugins.

Basically, if a given plugin is not set as available in a Premium Plugin Manager for a given Pro Site level, it will be deactivated on a site that updates to that level (from other level or upon renewal). It can be manually activated though and will stay active until the "pro sites status" of the site is changed.

I see that the site form the screenshot (/fpm subsite) was updated in Jul and I think that's when that happened. If you experienced that with other sites too, please check it as follows:

- check the current Pro Site level of the site
    - check the id of the site
    - in Pro Sites -> Manage Sites find the site by ID
    - see the last pro site status change in logs (update, downgrade, renewal) and I think you'll notice that the plugins got deactivated around that date.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Adrian,

There are two ways to go here:

1) You can actually go to the "Network Admin -> Pro Sites -> Premium Plugin Manager" and set these plugins to be available to your Pro Sites Level sites; once you do it, you can again manually activate these plugins on their sites and they will not be disabled upon update/renewal.

2) You can just manually activate them on their sites and the plugins will work, however only until update/renewal when they become deactivated again.

Another way is to just disable the Premium Plugin Manager module in Pro Sites but that's got a downside - plugins would then be available not only to "Pro Sites" sites but to all other sites as well.

Usually though, the option to go is the option #1 above. That's the most common scenario. If you want to make these plugins available to only clients that have Pro Sites Level sites but not to the other - non-prosites - sites, that's the way to go.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.