[Pro Sites] Passwords for newly issued sites don't work

When a new user creates a site (paid or free) the password sent in the welcome email doesn't work. The user must do a password reset to get a working password.

This is similar to this ticket:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wordpress-pro-sites-newly-created-users-wrong-password

The difference is that I do not have the Manual Payment gateway enabled. Free sites are affected, so payment gateways are not involved.

Support access is enabled.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello drew_mathers

I have tested on my site and it worked fine without any issue.

Then I registered on your site, I got the password in email but when I tried to login it doesn't show any message. It just flushes the login screen.

It may happen due to a plugin conflict. Would you please run a conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins including network active ones except pro sites and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well.

You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• drew_mathers
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ash,

You were right about the plugin conflict. The conflicting plugin is WPMUDEV Domain Mapping. The problem goes away when I deactivate Domain Mapping, and recurs when I reactivate Domain Mapping. There is one domain-mapped site on my network. Cross-domain auto login is not activated

• drew_mathers

Hi Ash,

I re-tested one of my earlier test cases to check a hunch about the passwords being issued. With Domain Mapping deactivated, I am able to log in to the test site with the original issued password. This means that Domain Mapping is not causing a wrong password to be issued, rather it is preventing login with a good password.

• drew_mathers

Hi Ash,

Further testing has shown the following:

If Domain Mapping is restricted to Pro Site levels only, then new free site users can log in.

If a user gets a free site and upgrades to a Pro Site, they can log in to the Pro Site

If a user starts a Pro Site trial without starting from a free site, they cannot log in.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi drew_mathers,

I could notice this behaviour in your website, when I created new test subsites. I then tried to replicate the same in my local server, but it seems to work fine with, our without assigning Pro Site Levels in Domain Mapping plugin.

Not sure what exact happened, but when I re-saved the settings in the Domain Mapping plugin, and tried to replicate the same issue again in your system, it seems to work fine. I could login without any issue.

Could you please test, and see whether you are able to replicate the issue again in your system? And please advise if I'm missing anything specific.

Regards,
    Nithin

• drew_mathers

Hi Nithin,

I am not able to replicate the test result you achieved on my site.

I am testing this:
    1. Network Admin Dashboard > Settings > Domain Mapping > Pro Sites Levels
    2. Clear all checkboxes, Save settings
    3. Create a new free site (in a Chrome Incognito window)
    4. Go to new site dashboard and log out.
    5. Try to log in with username, password from welcome email.

• drew_mathers

Hi Nithin,

I have further tested this issue and discovered that it is not dependent on Domain Mapping being restricted to Pro Sites levels. Here are my current test results:

1. Create a new free site (in a Chrome incognito window)
    2. Go to new site dashboard and log out
    3. Log in with credentials from welcome email (login redirects back to blank login screen)
    4. Close incognito window
    5. Clear browser cache
    6. Open login URL from welcome email in incognito window
    7. Log in with credentials from welcome email (login works)

Also tested in Firefox. Same results.

• drew_mathers

Hi Nithin,

Further testing has shown that new site admins are able to log in if they close and reopen their browsers (no cache clear required) or log in from the main site. As a workaround, I installed the Logout Redirect plugin to send users back to the main site after logout.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi drew_mathers,

Further testing has shown that new site admins are able to log in if they close and reopen their browsers (no cache clear required)

Thanks for the detailed information, however I'm afraid, I'm not able to replicate such an issue in my system, made sure all the above mentioned steps are followed in replicating in my system, but it worked fine.

I created a new free subsite(wpsix) in your system, but it seems like it's working fine. I guess the redirect plugin enabled in the backend is working at the moment, as you have mentioned before.

If you are still looking forward to troubleshoot the issue, then maybe you could setup a staging(clone) site, so that you could test whether you are able to replicate the same issue when all the plugins are disable except Pro Sites etc

This would give a better idea where the issue is located, so we could see what could be done to help get this fixed.

Regards,
    Nithin

• drew_mathers

Hi Nithin,

I did a conflict test in my 3-Dec-2018 reply above. I reverted all Defender security tweaks, disabled all plugins, and changed the theme to Twenty Seventeen. The problem occurs with only Pro Sites and Domain Mapping active. Turn off Domain Mapping and the problem goes away.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi drew_mathers,

. The problem occurs with only Pro Sites and Domain Mapping active. Turn off Domain Mapping and the problem goes away.

I do understand you, but this is something which unfortunately I'm not able to replicate, with Domain Mapping, and Pro Sites plugin enabled, and with the exact steps mentioned. Is there any way you could setup a staging site for us?

So, that we could test this extensively in your staging system, and I could bring into the developers attention, so we could extensively test what could be done to help get this sorted.

Your hosting provider should be able to help setup a staging site easily. If it's possible to setup, you can send staging credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• drew_mathers

Hi Ninin,

I will set up a staging site.

I have also been refining my workaround. I have set Logout Redirect to "/", which redirects to the subsite home page after logout. It appears that login fails only when logout redirects to the login page (WordPress default behaviour). When this happens, every login attempt will continue to redirect back to the login page.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.