[Pro Sites] PayPal Express to allow credit card?

I am implementing Pro Sites plugin and for now plan to use the Express Checkout option. How do I make it so the end-customer can pay using a credit card?

My PayPal account is Website Payments Standard and I believe that account should let me provide that to end-customers. However, testing the checkout page seems to show only paying if they have a PayPal account… am I missing something?

Thanks!

• Strategerizer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hmmm… I know that my account has “PayPal Account Optional = On”. For my testing though I am using the Sandbox (which I had not implemented before) as my real account is in the process of having subscription add-on added and is not yet ready. So my thought was the sandbox account had that option off. But I just checked and it is “On”.

But here is the text they provide alongside that option:

“When this feature is turned on, your customers will go through an optimized checkout experience. This feature is available for Buy Now, Donations, and Shopping Cart buttons, but not for Subscription buttons.”

Most or all Pro Sites payments are likely subscription. So then unless we implement PayPal Website Payments Pro with SSL and PCI compliance (and $60/mo. for the account with subscription add-on) then end customers will need to have PayPal account to pay? Or is there some other way to set this up?

Thanks.

• Strategerizer

I know see the credit card option appearing on the signup screen. Not sure what triggered it on/off, maybe part of my testing or setting up things incorrectly in the beginning. In any case, now credit card shows even when using PayPal Express option, which is what I wanted.

Case closed; thank you.

• Strategerizer

Hmmm… the issue is actually still there.

Turns out the credit card option appeared on the checkout page after I checked “Enable PayPal Pro”, even though I am using a PayPal Standard Sandbox.

Unchecking “Enable PayPal Pro” takes away the credit card options.

But the box should not be checked if I am not using PayPal Pro and only have the PayPal Website Payments Standard…

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Strategerizer,

Ah, sorry I seem to have missed that clarification regarding that option. I see the following in regard to subscriptions done through Express:

To be able to create a recurring payments profile for the buyer, the buyer’s PayPal account must include an active credit card.

Basically, a credit card would actually be required for that to work, but it seems an account with PayPal would likewise be required.

I think PayPal Pro would indeed be the only way to make the purchase more transparent.

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.