Pro Sites Reseting Itself

Hi,

I've mentioned this before but can't find the thread, but it's just happened again. Pro Sites has lost all settings apart from the level names and current subscriptions. I'm now having to re-input all the pro plugins/themes etc which will take me over an hour or two. It's not happened for a while but I think I've narrowed it down to a certain type of plugin that could be causing the issue, pretty sure it's security based plugins. At this current time I have WordFence installed, I just updated it and then Pro Sites lost the settings - possibly a coincidence, but previously I had other solutions like Better WordPress Security installed which could have also caused it.

There's isn't a hook that could be called that would reset anything is there, anything I need to avoid in the future to stop this happening? Causing me a considerable amount of work each time it resets, considering backing up the wp-options table entries to restore next time.

Thanks,
Ed

aecnu

Greetings Ed,

Thank you for your feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

I have three of these networks running and have never had any issue as you are describing and one of them is a year and a half old.

Though I cannot confirm that these security products cause this problem or any problem at all, I personally believe that security starts with the host though I acknowledge that this is not the crux of this issue or topic.

I do admit that this is the very first I have heard of this issue and that though I do not know everything, I would bet that the update then this symptom are not a coincidence.

Too coincidental in my book.

However, to help ease the pain and assist dealing with backing up tables in the database, I offer you to download in what is in my opinion the greatest Database Management software of all time Navicat.

Though I know this will not put the finger on the exact cause of this phenomenon, it will give you a precision way to deal with it.

Keep your eye on this issue and be prepared for when the next update of the security software comes due being ready before the update with backup in hand and eye on the ball and see if it is not just coincidence.

You will be able to restore your data in minutes of course with a backup.

This is a most intriguing issue and let me know if you ever get your finger solidly on what is causing this.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings Ed,

This is truly a bizarre event in which of course I have personally not experienced and have not found anyone else reporting to date.

I would happily alert the lead developer to this but he is currently on vacation until July 10th, therefore I am trying to help resolve this with you but because I cannot reproduce it, it makes it truly a difficult challenge.

If we could make this happen or have it cause the issue constantly then it is almost certain we could figure out if it is a plugin or not.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

PrimaryT

Yeah, it's definitely a difficult one to debug. Our users are mainly teachers and students and they don't usually notice that their status has disappeared for at least 2 weeks, so trawling back through the access/error logs can be a bit of a pain.

The next one I see I'll try spend a bit of time investigating it further. There is definitely no correlation between the status withdrawal and any plugin/cron job as far as I can see though. It happens at completely random times, sometimes when no user would possibly be looking at their blog/admin area either.

Do you know offhand which function actually withdraws the status so I can go through and check more closely, so I don't have to trawl through the plugin's code?

Cheers,
    Ed

aecnu

Greetings Ed,

Thank you for the feedback about our buggy "edit comment page".

Actually there are still several bugs with this new site and though they are working them off, because many are browser specific, it has been a slow road to travel.

Absolutely I will pass it on, but can you tell me which browser you are having this issue with?

Do you know offhand which function actually withdraws the status so I can go through and check more closely, so I don't have to trawl through the plugin's code?

No I must admit that i am absolutely clueless to where this function may be located.

I heard that our lead developer Paul is currently standing in for Aaron while he is away.

Therefore I am going to see if I can get him in here to offer us some assist with this issue.

Please advise on anything you can regarding this situation.

Cheers, Joe

Paul

@Ed Cooper, Sorry for my delay replying to this thread. So reading through the comments from you and Joe I'm also scratching my head wondering what is going on. I've not been using Pro Sites as long as Joe and others but I've not had any problems with loosing settings.

I guess my first round of questions is about your hosting and general WordPress environment?

1. Are you running any form of cache plugins on your network/sites. What I'm thinking is that something is attempting to update a record in the database (wp_options, wp_sitemeta, wp_pro_sites, etc) and this fails. I've seen this with some cache plugins but not very often.

2. What version of MySQL are you running? You might need to check with your hosting. Two things I would do very soon and often, especially if you have a busy site. First check the table types. Most default installs use ISAM table. I would recommend switching to InnoDB. Ask your hosting to help with that. Second, I would recommend using phpMyAdmin or some database tool to check each table and especially your core tables for errors. BEFORE YOU DO EITHER OF THERE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL BACKUP. If you have access to phpMyAdmin this should be easy enough. You can also backup individual site using our Snapshot plugin.

I'll look more at the Pro Sites site to try and answer your other question. Might even be able to help you put together a quick status page.

PrimaryT

Hi Phil,

First of all it hasn't seemed to happen for a while now, but it could have been the caching plugins (we mainly tried WP Super Cache).

We're using two dedicated boxes (Ubuntu, Nginx latest, PHP-FPM latest + APC filecache & object cache, MySQL 5.1 [innoDB on global/large tables], Varnish, Multi-DB...).

We've experimented with various caching plugins in the past that may have caused the issues, but we're now not using any, relying on Varnish to do all the work. So, if you're correct, this might be why we've not had any problems in a while.

Happy to mark it as resolved, but I'll see if I can test it on another install somehow, would probably be quite hard to get it to trigger it with barely any traffic though.

Cheers,

Ed