Pro sites sign up to blog process is too complicated.

Following some great advice from Tim, I have moved forward leaps.

I am however, still very stuck for a simple solution for signing up users in a simple way.

At the moment, the process of registering first, confirm with email link, find out you can't do anything with blog until you upgrade, have to find an upgrade link, click to get the upgrade options, choose an option, pay, return to site, all seem way to complicated and difficult.

I am beginning to wonder of pro sites cannot actually do what I need without serious modification. Are there any plugins that can handle recurring payments as below.

This is what I want -

1- Un-registered user likes the site and wants a shop of their own.

2- There is a menu link to 'get a shop of your own' which directs to a page of options, (this could be the pro site page).

3- User chooses option and pays, checks out and returns to their fully functioning blog

It seem that this is the process employed on almost all other sites I sign up to but I can't Pro sites and Marketpress to work this 'simple' way.

I am beginning to think using the Pro Sites plugin is the problem.

Are there any simple solutions that will handle the registration of new users and blogs in this way?

Nick

• Timothy Bowers

There are various options which could be used to achieve this. For example you look to have people create their accounts and website as they do now, then when clicking the confirmation link they get redirected to somewhere, perhaps in this instance the blog subscription page offered by Pro Sites.

If you removed the verification process, then I suppose you could put in a redirect. There would be a requirement to check if the person chose to get a free site on signup as you may also have customers signing in to shop, so you don't want to incorrectly redirect them as well.

I think this could be achieved on the fly with wp_redirect. I'd have to have a think and a play.....

• harryhayes

Thanks tim, I would really appreciate that as this is the final thing holding me back.

I tried several registrations myself and it is just too long winded and off putting the way it is.

It also does not help me when I am face to face with a potential customer as I will not be able to show them the site and get a sign up there and then in an easy way.

Thanks again for your help.

I have managed to find a few workarounds for my requirements and also understand a little more how Wordpress pulls it's elements together.

It is all beginning to make sense at last.

Now it's time to learn php......Noooooooo. lol

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Nick.

I forgot to mention, I don't intend to offer a 'free' option for site sign up if this makes a difference.

In a sense you will have a free option, people on your site whom have accounts are those customers purchasing form those stores.

Wordpress registration

The access to your network. MarketPress, Pro sites and all other plugins use this to know you have an account, your authorised for X options and have access to X options.

Imagine in your process that WP is like the membership system for accounts both free (buyers with accounts) and premium (sellers with accounts).

Pro Sites

Prosites is the billing system for those wanting to sell on your network. This gives you a payment gateway, its knows your site and that you own it in WP, thats how it authenticates and grants upgrades based on your site.

MarketPress

MarketPress is the shop, it recognises admins (store owners and network admins) gives them the access they need and it recognises buyers giving them access to their own account.

So:

WP - account system
    Pro-sites - Website upgrades and billing
    MarketPress - E-commerce shopping

I suppose that is a really simplified way of looking at things......

• harryhayes

Much clearer now thanks. Pretty obvious when you see it like this. Doh !

Sorry to ask but I have not got far enough to buy something from myself to take a look, do Marketpress buyers have access to an admin control panel or does Marketpress provide a different front end.

Also, I assume - that when they buy from a network store, they have to create a user account with that store.

Is this user account also part of my user base as the main admin of the network?

Also, do they also become 'global' users able to log into any site with the same password or just the one purchased from?

Sorry, too many questions - not enough grey matter!

• Timothy Bowers

Hi Nick

Sorry to ask but I have not got far enough to buy something from myself to take a look, do Marketpress buyers have access to an admin control panel or does Marketpress provide a different front end.

I've attached a couple of screens to help you see.

When checking out, they can do so without an account or not. You can force customer log in if you wish through the stores settings.

If they have a WP account, they would edit their account in the admin. You could use the Easy Blogging I mentioned so that the admin is not overly complicated and force all those users to only see that interface.

Also, I assume - that when they buy from a network store, they have to create a user account with that store.

Nahh, they don't have to create an account.

Is this user account also part of my user base as the main admin of the network?

Also, do they also become 'global' users able to log into any site with the same password or just the one purchased from?

If a buyer creates an account, they it created in the main install and they can log in from any sub site. Same as any user. This is just how WP works.

No worries, keep those questions coming if you have any. :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Nick.

Just to clarify, If a shopper buys 'with an account' they will be assignd the same admin panel as a site owner even if they just purchase from the store?

They wouldn't get the same access as such. They would not get a shop or admin access to such features. But if they have an account they they would be able to edit their account in the admin.

I think the best thing to do is create your self a test account, then log in and you should see what I mean. That would probably help you understand it better.

The Easy Blogging plugin can be used to force the user to only see that interface rather than the usual WP one.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging

Hope this helps.

• nphaskins

I'm setting up my network right now as well. I do not have a free option. I have only 1 option, and that is a paid option.

3- User chooses option and pays, checks out and returns to their fully functioning blog

That is precisely the way I thought this plugin handled things? I do not want users to have to turn around and upgrade to do anything, after they've already paid to have the site. Before I start a bunch of testing, is this is the way the plugin works? That additional step is not necessary. I've used several membership systems before, and their is not "upgrading once you've paid to access the system." Can someone clarify this?

***EDIT****
    Disregard this message above. I've got another thread going and will ask it there. Sweet!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.