Pro Sites - Site wide plugin and theme availability

I run a multisite that is aimed at connecting local businesses with each other and with their consumers. I would really like to integrate the option for users to have their own site in my network. To this end, I have downloaded and installed Pro Sites. I have two (more) questions:
1. It appears that all of the plugins and themes that are available on "my" website are now going to be available across the users' websites too. I REALLY don't want this to happen! Can I create a "level" that is not choosable by the user so that some of the plugins and themes remain the 'property' of just me as the super admin?

2. Is there a way of upgrading sites through the backendand bypassing the payment gateway? I tried to create a site after setting up Pro Sites and it wants me to pay myself! I know this is probably a very basic fix, but this is my first real dabble in MU in this fashion and I'm trying to take it all in literally with my four year old sitting on my shoulders playing dinosaurs on my head.

Thank you for your patience with me!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings zo___wundenberg,

Thank you for the great questions.

1. It appears that all of the plugins and themes that are available on "my" website are now going to be available across the users' websites too. I REALLY don't want this to happen! Can I create a "level" that is not choosable by the user so that some of the plugins and themes remain the 'property' of just me as the super admin?

You assign what plugins and themes are available to a certain level in the network admin dashboard by choosing which minimum level must be obtained to access a specific plugin or theme. Logged into the network admin dashboard go to --> Pro Sites --> Premium plugins or Premium themes whichever is applicable and set what the minimum level is to be for access to the plugin or theme.

2. Is there a way of upgrading sites through the backendand bypassing the payment gateway?

Logged into the network admin dashboard go to Sites --> All Sites --> Under the column Pro Site click manage and you have the ability to assign a level for a certain time period or permanently.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Zoë
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank Joe.

1. Yes, I had done this, but my issue was that the "levels" I create all become available on the front end for people to pay for as an option for their site. I selected "none" thinking that this meant that the plugin wouldn't be available on the site if this was selected but it became available. What is the difference between "anyone" and "none"?

2. Brilliant. I never noticed this! Thank you :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings zo___wundenberg,

Thank you on the clarification of what is going on there with your WordPress installation.

Yes, I had done this, but my issue was that the "levels" I create all become available on the front end for people to pay for as an option for their site. I selected "none" thinking that this meant that the plugin wouldn't be available on the site if this was selected but it became available. What is the difference between "anyone" and "none"?

The anyone and none selections you mentioned are not relative to the display of levels, they are relative to the display of usable features i.e. plugins and themes and it is hierarchical - meaning if a plugins privilege is set to level 2 then levels above two are able to access and use this plugin/theme i.e. level 3 and level 4.

If set to none - the levels should not have the privilege of accessing the relative plugin/theme. If set to anyone, all levels have access.

I hope that clarifies this for you and if not let me know or if you are indeed having a particular issue with this please give details so I can check it out.

Cheers, Joe

• Zoë
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,
    Thank you for your reply. This is what I had assumed and so I went ahead and chose 'none' for the majority of my plugins and themes when I initially set it up, however they still came up as available.

I have since discovered that there appears to be a clash with this plugin and my theme. When the ProSites plugin is activated, I cannot see the sidebar area in the widget management admin area of the WP backend (weird, I know). I am not sure what to do now as I actually purchased the membership to this site for the pro sites plugin and built the plan of my website development around the use of this plugin for the business resources section of the site. I'm a bit 'bummed' to put it mildly.

Do you know what may be causing this clash and how I may be able to fix it? I am not a web developer (clearly), so my coding ability is limited (sorry). Changing themes is not an option because the central structure of the theme is a directory and this is what this theme allows.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Zo,

Indeed you are a web developer just like me and not a coder just like me :slight_smile: So do not let yourself down that easy!

Regarding the level items that you are still able to see when you are logged in as a test member, I would say that you still see these because your site recognizes you as the admin. Are you using two browsers? One for developing and one for testing?

Regarding the possibility of a theme conflict. This is certainly possible. If you test real quick by switching to the Twenty Eleven theme do your sidebar areas re-appear?

If there is indeed a theme/plugin clash of some kind, do not despair until a lead developer/coder tells us to despair ... lol Then it is indeed time to worry.

But for now it is best to be patient and most importantly observant of the reactions and interactions we get from your WordPress installation taking special note of any errors or symptoms.

By the way, if you are planning to update to WordPress 3.5, now is a good time to do it so we can work any kinks out that may be thrown into the machine from WordPress.

Before upgrading be sure to backup both the full web site and most importantly the database before upgrading so if something goes wrong we are ready for it.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Zoë
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,
    Thank you for the vote of confidence! I have just updated to WP 3.5 abd updated all the plugins too and I'm getting the same issue with Pro-Sites plugin re the widget area not coming up.

Is there also a way to customise what goes in the boxes on the package select page? As it currently stands, the boxes that you click to select the packages don't tell you what the packages actually are!

How do you add a free package?

I am also finding that when i am marking the "minimum level" for the site to hold in order to have access to themes etc, it isn't coming acros as a "minimum level' it's coming up as "this level only." For example. if I sent the "minimum level" to be my level 2, my level 1 can't use the theme. They are invited to "upgrade" to Level 2 (which is actually a downgrade!).

Also, in the backend, there is only one theme that I can see that is available for this test site and that is the theme I use for my own site! This is the one theme I DON'T want them to have access to!

Thanks a lot for the testing tip of using a different browser - this was awesome and i can't believe that i didn't think of it myself!

Where do I go from here? Should I be submitting a ticket somewhere?

Thanks Joe for answering me :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Zo,

Thank you for the additional input and indeed the levels go from one is the lowest, two is next and so on and so forth with in this example level 2 is indeed higher then level one. Great catch!

Now that the issues are worked out for the levels and that probably worked for getting the items available to those levels, we still have the theme issue to deal with.

Have you managed to get the widget section to work yet in the theme on your main site?

To make it so the theme is only available on your main site and to no others, in the network admin dashboard make the theme network enable then on your main site or the site you choose, activate the theme for that site. Now go back to the network admin dashboard and network disable the theme.

Not only will the site that the theme is activated stay the way it is with the theme, but the theme will indeed not be available to anyone else.

Please advise on the theme widget areas if this is a remaining issue for us.

Look forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Zo,

Thank you for letting me know that we are indeed making progress.

Our system indicates that you are using Pro Sites plugin version 3.3.2 which is out dated since the release of version 3.3.3

Please update the Pro Sites plugin at your earliest convenience and let me know if the widget issue persists.

Looking forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• joan_donogh
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Zo,
    I had these issues too. I found a plugin in the Wordpress repository called Multisite Plugin Manager - it was developed by Aaron, the developer of ProSites (why it is not on this site I don't know!) that should do what you want with having plugins only available for yourself.

Also for themes, if you do not activate themes they will not be seen by any users. You can still activate them for yourself (or another user) in a somewhat convoluted manner: Go to Network Admin and Sites. Under the site you want, click Edit - you should then see a Templates tab where you can set the template to any one that has not been network activated.

I hope this helps!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Zo,

I think we have to deal with this theme and indeed I believe there is a clash there as you have basically proven out with your testing and symptoms that you offered.

In an effort to get to the bottom line as quickly as possible.

Please temporarily set your theme to be Twenty Eleven and lets see if that resolves the widget issue?

If so please let me know the name of your theme?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Zoë
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,
    My apologies for my delayed response, I have been really sick and am just getting it back together now so I have been away from my computer for a while.

I have done what you suggested and yes it is definitely a clash with the theme. Not only are the sidebars not loading, but over half the widgets are failing to load as well. It is as if the page has stopped loading part way through and decided that that was all it was going to have the energy to load!

The name of my theme is directorypress by premiumpress.com. I am not surprised that there is a clash as it is not the only plugin I have had trouble with. Unfortunately, much of the functionality of the site comes from the theme so changing themes is not an option.

• Zoë
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Although, to be honest, if this is the only issue, I can disable prosites. make widget changes and re-enable prosites.

My BIGGEST issue, I think is that the table inviting users to pick their package and proceed to payment doesn't actually tell them what each package does. I'm talking about this part of the original question:
    "Is there also a way to customise what goes in the boxes on the package select page? As it currently stands, the boxes that you click to select the packages don't tell you what the packages actually are!"
    Cheers,
    Zoe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Zoe,

Thank you for your additional input which is certainly appreciated.

Regarding:

Is there also a way to customise what goes in the boxes on the package select page?

Not that I am aware believing the engine behind them is Java Script dynamically creating the page. I have also done significant research on this subject and I cannot find any definitive answer.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ok, just coming in here. As far as limiting theme/plugin access, any plugins/themes that are set to "none" will not be visible/available to users. You were probably getting confused looking at it as a super admin, they always have access to every plugin/theme no matter the pro sites settings (only you are a super admin).

And yes you can manually extend sites via the pro sites management page in network settings.

As far as the checkout screen, the buttons are not meant to be edited, you put all your custom sales text in the checkout page above the buttons. There is a link to edit the checkout page under the pro sites settings.

Regarding the widgets issues, I have no idea what would cause that. Best guess is some kind of JS conflict or error in the theme. You should talk to their support. Or paste any JS error output you get from that page.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.