Pro Sites: Switch to Stripe vs PayPal

Hi,
Currently running PayPal Pro and would like to switch over to Stripe and save $60 a month. The big question though is what happens to current recurring payments on Paypal? If they are on a quarterly plan, will their site die when I shut off PP Pro? I believe that PP Pro falls back to PP Express. Will they still be able to pay for the site via that? We can't have two payment gateways?
Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey troykd, great question.

I'm not 100% as I've never done this, so I'll ask Aaron for some feedback there.

I don't think you can move the subscriptions, as they are setup in Paypal itself. I would imagine that subscriptions would still be confirmed over IPN but Aaron knows Paypal and IPN much more intimately.

Hes away for a couple of days, so don't be alarmed if he doesn't respond to soon.

At the moment you can only have one gateway enabled, I'll also ask Aaron about enabling multiple gateways like in MarketPress.

Take care.

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

Yeah, I saw Marketpress has multiple gateways available at the same time but that may not be an indicator that it's something easy to do for Pro Sites. With Stripe enabled I would hopefully be able to fall back to PP Express for current PP members and all new go to either one. Preferably Stripe.

Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Yeah I'm quite excited about Stripe, I'd never heard of it before the other month to be honest but it looks real promising. Have you done much with em yet?

I wonder if it will provoke a price war with Paypal. Most likely not, I bet Paypal consider themselves the biggest and best so might no feel threatened by the pricing.

I've pinged Aaron about this, so I'm sure on his return he will pop in in. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Aaron
    • CTO

If you want to switch while you have live paypal members, you will need to cancel all their subscriptions either through the admin interface or your paypal account. Then when their paid time is up it will take them to the stripe checkout.

If you switch without cancelling, paypal will still make subscription payments but the IPNs will bounce and they won't be automatically extended.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.