Pro Sites - Trial and Free Site Confusion

Hi,

I'm really confused about what happens after a trial period in pro-sites. I've read a number of threads here that have conflicting answers. For instance, in the following thread, one answer states that after the trial expires it reverts to the Free site but at the end, it also states that Free sites are disabled when trial is enabled.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pro-sites-removes-free-level-when-have-a-trial

Once a user's trial expires, does the Free site kick in? The way I have this configured is 3 levels + Free. Trial enabled on level 2 for 30 days. What I'd like to see is when Level 2 trial expires, it reverts to Free. But from my testing, it doesn't look like this is how it works. Its either one or the other.

If someone could shed some light on this or explain how to make both the Free and Trial work together or confirm that its not possible to offer both Free and Trial, that would be great.

Thanks
Shayne

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Shayne,

For instance, in the following thread, one answer states that after the trial expires it reverts to the Free site but at the end, it also states that Free sites are disabled when trial is enabled.

That is bit confusing, but indeed it works like that. When trial is not enabled then users can create free site from the beginning by choosing option "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now"

and site will be created as free - so no pro perks for it.

When you enable trial option - free version on creation is disabled. It means that when user clicks "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now" they will get trial and not free site. So it is disabled on creation of the site.

But then when trial expires and user don't upgrade it should revert to free level.

What I'd like to see is when Level 2 trial expires, it reverts to Free. But from my testing, it doesn't look like this is how it works. Its either one or the other.

Can you describe what happens when trial expires? What is happening with site that was created with "free level" option and then trial expired? Its not accessible at all? Do you maybe have "Pay for blog" enabled module in Pro Sites?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Shayne

Can you describe what happens when trial expires? What is happening with site that was created with "free level" option and then trial expired? Its not accessible at all? Do you maybe have "Pay for blog" enabled module in Pro Sites?

I'm just waiting until the one test trial expires... in about 2 hours I tested it out yesterday, and I believe it worked as expected... but just wanted to double check it. I'll get back to you.

Any ideas what happens to the plugins activated under the trial? Looks like plugins not available under free but available during the trial are deactivated when the trial ends. Is that correct?

Thanks again
    Shayne

• Shayne

When you enable trial option - free version on creation is disabled. It means that when user clicks "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site for now" they will get trial and not free site. So it is disabled on creation of the site.

But then when trial expires and user don't upgrade it should revert to free level.

Actually, it doesn't seem to work like this.. if the "Trial" is enabled, the "No thank you, I will continue with a basic site" message is removed unless I'm missing something here.

Anyways, so my site has expired and now the user is redirected to the prosite upgrade page... there's no option to continue with the free level. So it doesn't revert back. I'm going to check my settings... maybe I missed something.

Thanks
    Shayne