Pro Sites - user sign up abandonment?

Hi there,

How do we follow up with customers who did not complete payment but did register for a site?

So this is the scenario: Pro Sites is set up as paid only (no free trial). The customer registers but does not pay.

1. What confirmation emails do they get and can we change these in any way?

2. How should they be redirect to complete their payment?

Any other info would be great!

Thanks,
Justin

• Jude

Howdy @Justin

Hope you're keeping well !

The user should get a standard Activation mail with a link to activate the site as well as a link confirming their new site with access details. They also get a few messages for each step along the way you can fully customize ( Sign up , reciept , cancelled etc .. ) It can be found under Settings > Pro Sites > E-mail Notifications. ( See screenshot)

If the payment fails they get a Payment failed message as can be seen in the E-mail Notifications tab ( See screenshot ) At that point you have an option of asking them to try again or simple manually extend access if you're sure they paid.

Cheers
    Jude

• Justin

Hi Jude,

Great thanks, you too I hope?

Thats what I thought but for some reason this is not happening.

At the moment when a user registers, fills in all the info and clicks on "Reserve my site", gets confirmation on screen, but does NOT complete Credit card payment info. They get NO email follow up whats so ever, nothing.

I can see them in the system as a user, I get a New User Registration email notification but that's it.

Maybe you can check it out:
    http://yourreikipractice.com/reiki-sites/

Many thanks,
    Justin

@Jude

• Michael Bissett

Hey @justinpeach,

At the moment when a user registers, fills in all the info and clicks on "Reserve my site", gets confirmation on screen, but does NOT complete Credit card payment info. They get NO email follow up whats so ever, nothing.

That's true, as they're supposed to be filling out the payment details immediately afterwards (and receiving emails related to the payment being made).

That said, though, the user abandoning the checkout process does pose a wrinkle, and is something I'll bring up to the developer here. Seeing as the domain will be reserved for 48 hours, a user could technically wait for the domain to expire, but another way to handle an abandonment of the checkout process will involve some interaction with the database.

Example: Bob signs up for bobsdiscountjewelry.mysite.com, but only registers for the site, he doesn't go through the checkout process (for one reason or another).

He comes to you, and asks how he can continue the checkout process, and secure that domain for his use. Here's what you can do...

(this does assume that phpMyAdmin is available for browsing the database)

#1: Go into your site's database via phpMyAdmin, and navigate to your site's signups table (usually called wp_signups, if you set a different database prefix, swap up "wp" for the prefix that was set).

#2: There, you'll want to search for the domain in the "domain" column. Once that's been found, you'll want to copy the value in the "activation_key" column for this domain, we'll need this in the next step.

#3: Inside the Network Dashboard, you'll want to go to:

Pro Sites -> Manage Sites

Paste the activation key copied earlier into the "Activation Key" field there, and activate the blog. This does not mean the site has a Pro Site level, it just means that it's no longer in "Reserved" status, it exists on the network now.

From here, Bob will need to go to:

bobsdiscountjewelry.mysite.com/wp-admin

And reset his password, so that he can log in. Once he's logged in, he'll be told that he'll need to make payment in order for his site to be active, and he'll be able to check out from there.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Justin

Hallo @michael55

That said, though, the user abandoning the checkout process does pose a wrinkle,

To be honest I think it would be fair to define this a hole in the customer journey. They fall in and don't know how to get out.

It would be great if you would discuss this with the developer.

From the customer side it is unclear how to proceed. They get no email notification so if they don't follow up it is understandable.

For the Pro Sites operator side, we have missed income. And the pain of not being able to offer fully professional customer journey.

Regarding your solution, this presupposes quite a lot of technical WP understanding. I am not a programmer so I would know how to implement your suggestions.

Look forward to hear from you on this.

Thanks,
    Justin

• Jude

Hi again @justinpeach

I am going ahead and moving this to the features and feedback section. I also see that this thread was already bought to the developers attention by Michael a while ago.

Also about not being able to implement the suggestions here is some more info that can guide you along the way. I agree that this may not be easy to do for a non technical user.

#1: Go into your site's database via phpMyAdmin, and navigate to your site's signups table (usually called wp_signups, if you set a different database prefix, swap up "wp" for the prefix that was set).

See this on using phpMyAdmin

http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/beginners-guide-to-wordpress-database-management-with-phpmyadmin/

#2: There, you'll want to search for the domain in the "domain" column. Once that's been found, you'll want to copy the value in the "activation_key" column for this domain, we'll need this in the next step.

See my screenshot on what to look for.

#3: Inside the Network Dashboard, you'll want to go to:

Pro Sites -> Manage Sites

Paste the activation key copied earlier into the "Activation Key" field there, and activate the blog. This does not mean the site has a Pro Site level, it just means that it's no longer in "Reserved" status, it exists on the network now.

Once again see my screenshot on where to look.

Hope that clarifies and hopefully makes it a bit easier for you.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.