Pro version does not work at all

Hi,

I just "upgraded" to the "pro" version of this plugin to restore the very same functionality that it used to provide in a much earlier version, i.e. the ability to assign custom sidebars to post archive pages and/or custom post types. After jumping through your incredibly labyrinthine purchasing process and getting an entire second "Dashboard" of your own creation added to my toolbar, not only can't I do what the pro version promises, but I can't even put a simple custom sidebar on a specific post! Each time I check the box to "allow this sidebar to be replaced" it doesn't save. In fact, there's no save button at all for that action. And to add insult to injury, before I purchased the "pro" version, that sidebar had the checkbox checked! What on Earth is going on here? I'm not just incensed, I'm practically litigious. You know what it's like having to launch client sites months in the making during the wee hours? And to find that functionality is REMOVED by updating a plugin? And having to shell out money under extortionary terms not to have to explain to the client why nothing on the site looks like the development sandbox? And to miss your deadline because you didn't have time to develop an entire plugin on your own?

WTF?

--Mike Warwick
Technology Director
IONA interactive

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about your troubles so far. Let's get this resolved for you shall we :slight_smile:

but I can't even put a simple custom sidebar on a specific post!

You can set specific post sidebars from each specific posts edit screen.

Each time I check the box to "allow this sidebar to be replaced" it doesn't save. In fact, there's no save button at all for that action.

I just tested this out on my own installation and had no issues - there's no save button but it should just save automatically - you can switch pages then go back and it will be saved. Once checked you can set custom sidebars in the primary location via "Sidebar Location" button.

No save button is a bit misleading, I will bring this up to the dev - thanks for mentioning that :slight_smile:

before I purchased the "pro" version, that sidebar had the checkbox checked! What on Earth is going on here?

Since you mentioned that you installed our dashboard, I just want to make sure you installed the plugin via the dashboard, this makes sure no conflicts happen from the free version previously being activated :slight_smile:

If you are still having issues after this then can you grant access via our WPMU DEV dashboard from your admin are? You can do this through WPMU DEV > Support Access > Support > Grant Access.

That way we'll be able to get your issues resolved asap if any are still there.

It's also worth noting that you are running an old version of WordPress - it is a good idea to update that if possible, that could be causing conflicts

I look forward to your reply Mike and will be keeping a close eye on the thread for it.

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

• Mike

I am amused but not surprised by your attempt to dispose of my issue by noting that you have no issues in your installation and suggesting that there is a stale WP version. The WP version at greenwayhealth.com is 3.9.1 which most would agree is the latest release.

You said: You can set specific post sidebars from each specific posts edit screen.

Your suggestion is useless because as I said the "pro" version of the plugin does not allow me to mark the theme's "Right Sidebar" with your plugin's "allow this sidebar to replaced" option. So there is no custom sidebar meta box in the single post level edit form.

You said: No save button is a bit misleading.

It's way more than misleading; it's diabolical. ;-/

You said: I just want to make sure you installed the plugin via the dashboard.

Yes, I disabled the free plugin from all network sites and explicitly deleted its folder via FTP.

You said: If you are still having issues after this then can you grant access via our WPMU DEV dashboard from your admin area?

I have already spent several hours reverting to an earlier version of your free custom sidebars plugin and getting custom sidebars specifically assigned to each post instead of by category (which as I said was the reason I purchased your plugin in the first place). So I cannot grant you any access to the production site I just launched. However, I have installed your dashboard and the pro plugin on our dev sandbox. I'd enable support access for you, but apparently the second site is "not enabled for support." I tried to switch the support from the production site to the sandbox via my WPMU dev account, but apparently that's not possible.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

I am amused but not surprised by your attempt to dispose of my issue by noting that you have no issues in your installation and suggesting that there is a stale WP version.

I am in no way trying to dispose of your issue Mike, I can tell you need this fixed asap and that's what I'm here to help you do :slight_smile: sorry it came off that way. For us it shows your version as 3.8.2 which is why I mentioned that.

Your suggestion is useless because as I said the "pro" version of the plugin does not allow me to mark the theme's "Right Sidebar" with your plugin's "allow this sidebar to replaced" option.

Yes, I disabled the free plugin from all network sites and explicitly deleted its folder via FTP.

Perfect!

I have installed your dashboard and the pro plugin on our dev sandbox. I'd enable support access for you, but apparently the second site is "not enabled for support."

Well, let's take a look at getting your right sidebar replaced. When you check the box and switch pages then go back is it just going back to unchecked?

I'd enable support access for you, but apparently the second site is "not enabled for support." I tried to switch the support from the production site to the sandbox via my WPMU dev account, but apparently that's not possible.

Ah yes, this is a restriction of single plugin licenses - if you navigate here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=wdpun

and hit the red "x" on the far right of your main site then you can activate it for your dev site and I'll be able to see what's going on and get to the bottom of this :slight_smile:

I appreciate your patience here, I know how frustrating issues like this can be!

Look forward to your reply Mike.

Cheers,
      Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response! Have you logged out of the dashboard on your main site?

My side reflects you deleting the other site as well.

If we can't get that to work then let's do our alternative method:

Sending it in privately through our contact form.

Send in:

make subject - "Attn: Tyler Postle"
      wp-admin username
      wp-admin password
      login url

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this will ensure it gets assigned directly to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

You can just go directly to that method if you want, saves us from messing around with the dashboard api any longer.

Cheers,
      Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mike,

Thanks for doing that! Got the credentials and logged in. I am wondering if your caching plugin is causing a conflict here. Would you mind disabling it on your dev site?

I didn't see any js errors. We should also set wp_debug to true in your wp-config file to see if there are any warnings/notices being given. Would you mind doing that? If you wanted us to do that then we definitely can but we would need FTP access.

I wasn't able to see your plugins list; however, checking for plugin conflicts would be a good idea. Only reason I mention that is because it's working on mine but not on yours - trying to narrow down the potential conflicts so we can start working on a solution :slight_smile:

Look forward to your reply Mike!

Cheers,
      Tyler

• Philipp Stracker

Hi @Mike,

the current version of Custom Sidebars does not support Tags or custom taxonomies on Sidebar-Level

However, since you have the Pro version you can use the "Visibility" feature to show or hide single Widgets based on taxonomy:
    - Click the "Visibility" button inside the widget: A new section will be displayed.
    - Click on the "+" icon in the top row of the new visibility section
    - You get a list with all available options. In the bottom you find all available taxonomies
    - Select the taxonomies you want to check against.
    - Click on the word "Show" in the top row to toggle between "Show" and "Hide"

Here's a screenshot to quickly show you how to do this

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, Philipp

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.