Problem installing W3 Total Cache

We used to use W3 Total Cache but swapped to Wordfence caching. Wordfence is about to stop cache feature, so I disabled caching in Wordfence and reactivated W3 Total Cache plugin. Front end website continued working but couldn't connect to backend. Deleted plugin manually from host server. Then error message in Dashboard: "W3 Total Cache Error: some files appear to be missing or out of place. Please re-install plugin or remove ... advanced-cache.php" and ditto for db.php and object-cache.php. I reinstalled the plugin but this time the plugin was automatically deleted by WordPress. Can I safely delete the 3 files without affecting any other plugins or functioning of the site?
Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello PCI Team,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The W3 Total Cache can sometimes be a bit troublesome if it wasn't removed entirely before re-installation. That said, please try following steps:

1. if you got any access/option to delete cache in your dashboard, do this; this however may not be possible in this case so if not, just skip this step.

2. delete W3 Total Cache plugin folder from "/wp-content/plugins" folder on your server

3. make sure that this line is removed from the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_CACHE', true);

4. remove following files from "/wp-content/" folder if they are there: advanced-cache.php, db.php, wp-total-cache-config.php

5. delete the "w3tc" folder from "/wp-content" if it's there

6. check the ".htaccess" file in the root folder of your site and if there are any lines added by W3 TC, remove them please; these lines would be clearly marked with comments; you can also compare the ".htaccess" with the default one (depending whether it's a single or multisite) here:

https://codex.wordpress.org/htaccess

After completing this step, access to your dashboard and go to the "Plugins" page; you will probably be informed that the "W3 Total Cache" has been deactivated but if not, don't worry - just make sure that it's not anywhere on the plugin list; If there are any other caches (e.g. on server) make sure they are also emptied and clear your browser's cache as well.

Then try installing the plugin again and it should work well now.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.