Problem using fundraising plugin with paypal sandbox

Hi,
I've been trying to set up the fundraising plugin to work with paypal sandbox and in the settings page of the plugin I've got this message:
In order for PayPal simple payments to log properly you must turn on PayPal Instant Payment Notifications and point it to

I have turned the IPN on for my fake business user and pointed it to the URL given to me by the plugin's message.

When I try go make a donation I get this error:
There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)560022 The X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID header contains an invalid value

What else can I do to make it work?

Thank you.

• angelsfall1st
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,
    Thanks for your answer.

I've read everything I could find on the subject (on this website and on google searches) and I can't make it work.

Please, I only have 3 more days to make it work.. I'm writing in your forums for the last 3 days and found no solution..

Could it have something to do with the fact my wordpress installation is in a sub-directory? Could the link the plugin gives me for the IPN be incorrect?

Thank you..

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @angelsfall1st, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread... I missed your last reply.

Could you please take a look at these threads and see if the solutions in them fix your error?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-getting-the-520003-error-from-paypal-when-setting-up-the-fundraising-plugin#post-360970

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-confirm-i-am-using-the-correct-paypal-sandbox-appid-with-endpoint-httpssvcssandboxpaypalcom-in-wpmudevs-fundraising-plugin#post-304061

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problem-connecting-with-the-paypal-gateway-code560022#post-237971

Please advise,
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Hi aristath,
    To be honest I completely gave up..
    I've missed my deadline so I wont be working on that site.

But, I have a new site and again I need the fundraising plugin.

This time, I have an actual paypal account (the sandbox wouldn't work no matter what..)
    The problem is that, I can't find the directions on how to register this application.
    I have read previous threads here, so PLEASE don't just refer to other threads.

I just need to know a few things:

1. which options to check on the app registration page?
    I need the "Basic Payments", but there are many options:

Checkout, Send Money or Parallel Payments
    Currency Conversion
    Get Payment Details
    Implicit Send Money
    Mobile Express Checkout Library
    Personal Payment (P2P)
    Refunds or Chargebacks

Which do I need to check for this plugin?
    (I want to use the Advanced Payment so I can use the Crowdfunding).

2. Who is responsible for chargebacks or refunds?
    is it paypal it self?

3. Do you have an Acceptable Use Policy?
    Is it something this plugin has?

4. Should I configure any of these:
    Adaptive Accounts - Create and manage PayPal Personal, Premier, and Business accounts.
    Show 3rd Party Permissions - Request users grant you permission to make API calls on their behalf.
    Show Invoicing - Create, deliver and manage online invoices. Electronically track invoice payments and get paid instantly.
    ?

5. Step-by-step Payment Flows Instructions
    what are the steps used by the plugin?

6. Supply Test Account Name and Password
    from the sandbox?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's really hard to understand how to work with this plugin..

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

• aristath
    • Recruit

Which application are you referring to? Are you applying for an app on x.com ?

I need the "Basic Payments", but there are many options:

If you want basic payments there's there's no need for an x.com app, your normal paypal account will do!

2. Who is responsible for chargebacks or refunds?
    is it paypal it self?

As this plugin does not sell products, there was no point in building a mechanism for chargebacks and refunds. Therefore yes, chargebacks and refunds are handled by PayPal.

3. Do you have an Acceptable Use Policy?
    Is it something this plugin has?

As far as I know this plugin does not currently have an "accept terms to continue" button or something similar.

from the sandbox?

Could you please simply describe what it is that you want to do? Who will get paid? Will the funds go to 1 PayPal account or do you want to split the funds to multiple PayPal accounts?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Sorry, maybe I got it all wrong..
    I'll try to explain what I need the plugin to do:

I need to open campaigns for pledges, in which people could donate but wont be charged until the goal was reached.

I need the money to be transferred to a paypal account (only one account).

Do I need to create an application on x.com or not?

Thank you..

• aristath
    • Recruit

I need to open campaigns for pledges, in which people could donate but wont be charged until the goal was reached.

Simply enable the "Advanced Crowdfunding" option in the plugin settings (see screenshot).
    If you hover over the blue info button next to that option you'll see this help text:
    Crowdfunding allows you to create fundraisers with Goals & Rewards. Payments for advanced crowdfunding are not processed until the goal has been reached.
    so yes... you can do that. :slight_smile:

I need the money to be transferred to a paypal account (only one account).

Do I need to create an application on x.com or not?

No, you don't need it.

I hope that makes it more clear. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Thank you :slight_smile:
    I do have all the settings already set. I just need to know how to create this app.
    Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate your patience :slight_smile:

I'm not sure what options I need to select:

I need the "Basic Payments" (on the paypal app page - not the plugin page), but there are many options:

Checkout, Send Money or Parallel Payments
    Currency Conversion
    Get Payment Details
    Implicit Send Money
    Mobile Express Checkout Library
    Personal Payment (P2P)
    Refunds or Chargebacks

Which do I need to check for the Crowdfunding to be possible?

Adaptive Accounts - Create and manage PayPal Personal, Premier, and Business accounts.
    Show 3rd Party Permissions - Request users grant you permission to make API calls on their behalf.
    Show Invoicing - Create, deliver and manage online invoices. Electronically track invoice payments and get paid instantly.
    ?

from the sandbox?

Thank you..

• aristath
    • Recruit

I need the "Basic Payments" (on the paypal app page - not the plugin page), but there are many options:

Actually you need to select the "Preapprovals" method.
    On the "Basic Payments" section you can select everything, there won't be any issues with that.

?

That's completely up to you. They are not necessary.

On the Do you have an Acceptable Use Policy? section, you can simply write your own policy as a page and paste the link there.

In that area you'll have to describe how your site works.
    So you'll write something like:
    A goal is set for crowdfunding. Users contribute and payments are not processed until the goal has been reached.
    In other words, you describe crowdfunding. :slight_smile:

from the sandbox?

No, they rey require a test account and password on your site.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Hello again,
    I was waiting for the approval of the application and I got a message asking allot of questions..
    One of them was:
    Can you clarify the API's you require please? Please note that you will not be approved for the Personal Payments (P2P) API as this is a commercial application (sales of goods or services). Please deselect it from the ‘Services used by App’ -- ’Adaptive Payments’ -- ’Basic Payments’ section of your submission. Also, can you clarify your use of ‘Implicit Payments’ which would be used to pay your users from your PayPal account? If this is not required, please deselect it also.

can you please instruct me what should I do..?
    does the plugin really need these: "Personal Payments" and "Implicit Payments"?

Thank you again for all your help!

• aristath
    • Recruit

does the plugin really need these: "Personal Payments" and "Implicit Payments"?

No, it does not.
    If your site is limited to crowdfunding then these are not necessary.
    They would only be needed if you were selling products and had a more complex integration (we've seen crowdfunding sites on these forums that want to do everything...)

Is there a way to limit the contribution to $2,000? apparently the maximum contribution limit of paypal is $2,000.

No, there is no such setting. I believe that PayPal automatically rejects contributions larger than that and gives the user a warning about it so there's no issue there.

Do you have any internal processes for Anti Money Laundering monitoring or Project Vetting?

No, PayPal and your x.com application take care of that. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Hello again,
    I got a message from paypal regarding the application request:
    1. In order to approve your app for live API usage, we will need to test the Preapproved payment flow against our Sandbox test environment. I have attempted to do so now, but i am receiving the following error: "There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE) 560 029 The required X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID header is missing from the HTTP request. Can you ensure you are using our Sandbox AppID: APP-80W284485P519543T and test endpoint: https://svcs.sandbox.paypal.com/AdaptivePayments/Preapprovals

do you have any previous experience with it?
    it's the same error I got, what can I tell her?

Do you have any clients that managed to get this working?
    You said to use it on a live application, so that this error wont happen, but it seems like they wont approve the application without it working in sandbox first.

could you please help me with that?
    I don't know what to tell her..

Thanks again..

• angelsfall1st

when I did that before, it didn't work. people here said it wont work in sandbox mode, so I tried getting a real application so it would work.
    now she's asking me to make it work in sandbox.
    I just don't know what to do anymore...

Should I set it up again with my sandbox details even though it did not work, or can I explain to her somehow that it wont work in sandbox but will work with a real application? (if you have any explanation for this I would love to tell her something..)

Do you have any clients that went through this process? how could anyone make it work if it doesn't work with sandbox and they wont let you create a real application without it working in sandbox first??

• aristath
    • Recruit

when I did that before, it didn't work. people here said it wont work in sandbox mode,

Yes, that's because you needed an x.com app.

so I tried getting a real application so it would work.
    now she's asking me to make it work in sandbox.

The real application is the application that you will use for your transactions once it is aproved. However, in order for it to get approved PayPal will first have to make sure that your app works! That's why they ask you to set it in sandbox mode.

Set it as sandbox and use the Sandbox AppID that she sent you.
    The Sandbox behavior is usually pretty erratic, that's why we don't recommend using it.
    What I said earlier is that sandbox adds an unnecessary layer of complexity. I never said that it doesn't work...

how could anyone make it work if it doesn't work with sandbox and they wont let you create a real application without it working in sandbox first??

It DOES work. Provided that you get an x.com app which at the time you were asking the previous questions you did not have! So of course it would not work.

Do you know what is the "test endpoint"? where in the plugin settings should I enter the address she gave me?

You shouldn't have to. Once you enable the sandbox mode it uses the proper endpoint on its own. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Hi again,
    just wanted to thank you again for all of your help.
    My app was finally approved :slight_smile:

just one more thing:
    when I try to make a payment I'm being redirected to the paypal page, where I have to create an account in order to make a donation (a preapproved one). Is there a way someone can make a donation without a paypal account?
    (until now we had an option for donating with just a credit card - but it does not appear on this page).

Thanks again!

• aristath
    • Recruit

when I try to make a payment I'm being redirected to the paypal page, where I have to create an account in order to make a donation (a preapproved one). Is there a way someone can make a donation without a paypal account?

No, unfortunately when using CrowdFunding PayPal "commits" the money and it cannot do that when using a simple credit card. An account is necessary. It's a small price to pay... most people do have PayPal and the benefits of CrowdFunding are far greater than that small price. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your x.com app approval!

I am marking this issue as resolved now. If you need any further assistance don't hesitate to reopen this and post an update on your current status. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• angelsfall1st

Hi again,
    I'm having a problem with the fundraiser title on the paypal page.
    My fundraiser name is in Hebrew, and the title (the purpose) is in gibberish.
    How can I fix this?

A google search have brought up this page:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11083017/paypal-donation-description-shows-broken-characters-when-entering-hebrew
    but I don't know where in the plugin's files I should add this code.

Any advice?

Thank you again!

• aristath
    • Recruit

I haven't tried this, but you can try changing the below lines on the wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/template-functions.php file:

Change line 492 from:
    $content .= '<input type="hidden" name="wdf_step" value="gateway" />';
    to:
    $content .= '<input type="hidden" name="wdf_step" value="gateway" /><input type="hidden" name="charset" value="utf-8">';

line 499 from
    $content .= '<input type="hidden" name="wdf_step" value="gateway" />';
    to
    $content .= '<input type="hidden" name="wdf_step" value="gateway" /><input type="hidden" name="charset" value="utf-8">';

line 646 from"
    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_donations" />
    to
    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_donations" /><input type="hidden" name="charset" value="utf-8">

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas on this... However the plugin developer might!
    I have just notified him about your issue so he should be here and shed some light on this.
    Please note though that since plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities this might take longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey!

I will do my best to publish new version of fundraising plugin with suggested modification sometime tomorrow .

If you would like to try and do it on our own, please modify this file:
    wp-content\plugins\fundraising\lib\gateways\paypal.php

after line 103 please add
    $nvp .= '&charset='.urlencode('utf-8');

so it looks something like this:

$nvp .= '&notify_url='.urlencode($this->ipn_url);
    $nvp .= '&charset='.urlencode('utf-8');

please do the same after line 144(first change was for simple payment, second for advanced)

Oh, if you decide to do it, please let us know the result.

Thanks,
    Maniu

• angelsfall1st

Thank you so much! it works perfectly now!

the line I actually added it after was:
    and not

not sure if it makes any difference, but I thought you might like to know..

Thank you again :slight_smile:

• angelsfall1st

sorry, I added it after:
    the difference was that "amp;"
    because I couldn't find the line: (I did a search)

I have no experience with code, so maybe it's the same..

• angelsfall1st

I have a new problem with the plugin...
    when I make a donation the donation is recorded in the admin page (I can see the donation under the donations tab), but will not appear in the fundraiser panel. (I've donated 5 nis and the details in the fundraiser panel of this project shows 0.00).
    (it's a regular donation - not a crowdfunding donation - in case it matters..)

What can I do?

Thank you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.