problem with chat plugin on a non self hosted server

I keep on getting a 406 error from my host and they have told me that this is since I have installed the chat plugin with the WPMU dashboard widget. I am so frustrated because I keep refreshing my DB to a backup, and I don't even have time remove the plugin.

My real problem is that I am scared I will never be able to run this plugin. I barely got to try it out and the little I tried looked so great!!!!!

My host tells me that this is surely due to a poor coding.

Do you have any solutions for me?

Thank you so much for your help and sorry to have our first contact with bad news.

Cheers

Adrien

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there Adrien,

Some hosts (their general support at least) tend not to know much about coding, but they'd rather not accept it could be the environment, it's easier for them that way. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't an issue and we'll be more than happy to look into that with you.

We run this chat plugin for our own live support session which can get very busy.

The 406 error is usually caused by mod_sec, inmotion cover this here:

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/error-numbers/406-error

Can you ask them what's triggering the 406?

I suspect it might be due to how chat works, you see by default the chat sessions poll a special AJAX file located in the plugin directory (wpmudev-chat-ajax.php). Sometimes due to security issues on the server this is not allowed. In those cases set the polling type to WordPress.

The WordPress AJAX will be much slower and user more server resources than using the Plugin AJAX.

You can find this option here:

Admin --> Chat --> Settings Common --> Poll Intevals

You can also change how often chat polls your server to reduce the load.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• adrien

A big thank you for your quick response. I will take a look into all this as soon as inmotion hosting actually let me access my WP!!!!!!! This is very frustrating. I am sure your coding is fine, but as usual, hosting is a hassle these days. I do not consider that I need to purchase a (VPS) self hosted server, just to be allowed to have a simple chat program used buy 10 users!!!!!!!

I will keep you in touch as soon as I work things out with my host.

Cheers and once again thank you for such a quick response.

Adrien

• adrien

hello to you all,

Well it seems Inmotion has finally found out the problem on their own!!!! Just had to shout a little. Did not actually manage to get the real reason why all this was not working??? This may, or may not be of any help, but I did deactivate mod-sec via the c-panel. Is this a solution to my problem? May this cause trouble later? Will keep you up to date if anything goes wrong. so far so good.

I also have an additional question, and not sure this concerns this topic, but maybe you can direct me to the right one.
    Is it possible to implement jQuery UI into the css of the chat plugin? would be such a great add-on to this plugin!

cheers to all

Adrien

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Adrien,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the update.

Glad to hear this is working for you now. :slight_smile:

I'd be surprised if mod_security was the reason for this, I have that enabled on my install with chat running and haven't had any problems, mod_security is a apache module that blocks common attacks using rule sets, see here http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/modsecurity/what-is-modsecurity-and-why-is-it-important :slight_smile:

Is it possible to implement jQuery UI into the css of the chat plugin?

It certainly would be possible to implement a new UI, it would take quite a bit of custom coding, we can add it as a feature request. :slight_smile:

In the mean time if you want this coded now, you could try posting a job on our WPMU DEV job board here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.