Problem with child theme

I'm still such a newbie - trying to self teach with all the available resources on this site, wordpress and others.
I want to customize themes and appropriately use child themes. To test the process, I've uploaded the Holder child theme and activated it in network. I've watched your videos and I am using the firebug tools. So for my first test change I just wanted to change the font color of header text from white to black - which seemed like a very simple change - but it did not work. I believe the problem may be in not having the right selector. All of the examples for changes I've seen/read show a change where there is an ID Selector. What do you do if there isn't one? The following is what I put in the child css after your heading info:

Template: holder

*/

@import url( ../holder/_inc/css/layout.css );

h1, h2, h1 a, h1 a:link, h1 a:hover, h1 a:visited {
color: #000000;
}

What would be the correct

• Tammie

You are not taking into account the preset style you have selected which is skinny.css. David is wrong is suggesting layout.css that won't do anything I'm afraid to solve this. Skinny.css has a colour for the header in it and will over-ride any child theme styling. You either need to remove this line from your header.php in your child theme and then copy skinny.css into your child. Copy the entire contents from header.php then remove lines...

<?php
    			$get_current_scheme = get_option('dev_holder_custom_style');
    			?>
    			<?php
    			if (($get_current_scheme == "") || ($get_current_scheme == 'skinny.css') || ($get_current_scheme == 'default.css')) { ?>
    			<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/library/styles/skinny.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    			<?php
    			}	else { ?>
    			<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/library/styles/<?php echo $get_current_scheme; ?>" type="text/css" media="all" />
    			<?php }?>

Or.. our recommended method: try using the colour pickers for settings like this - that's what they are there for where these over-rides occur it's an easy way we've added in without you touching code.

Or.. use the !important flag on CSS - not recommended either as bit pointless when we've given you colour pickers that do the job without this in your child theme.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.