Problem with Editing permissions for custom taxonomies

Hi all,

I have CustomPress installed on a site and have used it to create 2 custom taxonomies (Locations and Industries).

I have made them public and I can see them as menu items under 'posts' and also under a custom post type I made (newsletters). So the menu items are there, but when I click on them to add/edit my custom taxonomies I get an error message: 'Cheatin’ uh?'.

I thought this must be related to permissions, but I have tried this and received the same errors using an author, editor and administrator account.

Further, when in the post edit screen, I see the meta boxes to "Add Location" or "Add Industry" and I can type in new items into the text box. However, clicking the link "All locations" which should bring up a list of previously used items in the custom taxonomy 'Locations' generates another error message. It says: 'An unidentified error has occurred.'

Any help getting these custom taxanomies working would be greatly appreciated.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ckrauskopf and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

There was actually a version update just today that dealt with the taxonomy issue, which I believe would apply here if you've got a taxonomy with capital letters or non-alphanumeric characters.

If you haven't already, could you please update to that latest version?

Thanks,
    David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ckrauskopf,

I've just tested this myself and wasn't able to reproduce this error. That message is a WordPress message for when you don't have the correct permissions for a particular area. CustomPress doesn't have any built-in permission tools. Do you have another plugin operating that would be affecting permissions or using custom post types?

Try disabling other plugins and see if CustomPress begins to work. That may help narrow it down. You should also take a look at your php error logs and see if anything shows there.

*Edit: And as David said, the latest version does mention getting rid of that unknown error message. Make sure you're the latest version.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

• ckrauskopf
    • New Recruit

I wasn't able to get back to this until now, but the issue has not been resolved. Any other ideas. My Custom Press version is Version 1.1.5, and I'm using the WPMU DEV Update Notifications plugin, and haven't seen a newer version than that.

I disabled all other plugins, and still get the cheatin' uh? message when trying to access the custom taxonomy screen. I call it a permissions issue because the Wordpress error implies that it is, but it doesn't appear to be related to the varying permissions of user roles. That is, I get the same error with an admin user as with an author or editor role.

Any other ideas?

Chris

• ckrauskopf
    • New Recruit

OK - I've made some progress but things are still a little wonky. Assuming that I was right and I do in fact have the latest version of the Custom Press plugin (1.1.5), then perhaps there is still an issue with Capitalizations in taxonomies that needs to be fixed.

I went back and created 2 new taxonomies which were identical to my original ones (location and industry) except that they used all lower case in the taxonomy name. That seemed to work, as I got no error messages when adding and editing those custom taxonomies. However, when I clicked on the old ones, those miraculously worked too. Only I discovered that they were being treated as the same taxonomy. That is clicking on "Locations" or "locations" both took me to the same screen. Adding a "location" made it show up in "Locations" as well.

For the moment, the functionality I need for this site is working, and I don't have any more time to trouble shoot this right now. I would appreciate knowing if anyone figures out what could be going on.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ckrauskopf,

Well, 1.1.6 just released today, but I think you've stumbled on another issue. Let me ask the developer to take a look at this. We shouldn't allow for different taxonomies on the same post type just due to a capitalization change (at least, I cant think of a reason to do so).

I've asked Andrey to take a look into this with you. He'll be able to get ya sorted quickly. It may take a few days though as the weekend has already started at his local time.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

• ckrauskopf
    • New Recruit

Hi guys,

I got this working by deleting my taxonomies with uppercase letters and going with the new taxonomies that were the same names with all lower case. As everything seems to be working at the moment, I didn't go farther than that. I have since updated from version 1.1.5 where I first experienced the issue to version 1.1.8 with no further issues. By the time I updated my taxonomies were already working with the all lower case work-around and I haven't tried to reproduce the problem with the newer versions, but I appreciate the quick responses here and the quick version updates. I hope and assume that the issues I had will no longer occur in the new versions, and I will try using uppercase taxonomies next time I use the plugin and post here the result.

Chris

• Andrey
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi ckrauskopf,
    ok.
    FYI, you can't use uppercase for taxanomy name - it's not problem of plugin, it's in Core of WP!!!

You can use uppercase in title of Labels.
    BTW, the name of taxanomy not display anywhere except URL.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.