Problem with Elegant Press Featured Slider

I have discovered that when the membership plugin is active, my featured slider does not display the correct pages. I have the theme set to pull 4 pages. It pulls the first two correctly, but the second two it pulls randomly instead of the two I've assigned. This happens in every browser except Chrome. So you can look at it in Chrome to see how it's supposed to be, then look at it in Firefox to see how it's incorrectly pulling two wrong pages.

I contacted the theme developer, and they looked into it and said to contact you. :slight_smile:

• quixotica
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Sure - it's the home page of livingmanna.net, the featured slider at the top (not the sidebar). The four rotating pictures with their respective pages should be Our Vision, Tenents of Faith, Hebrew Classes and About Us. These four pages are selected as the featured pages in the theme's admin settings.

However, in any browser other than Chrome, you'll see Our Vision, Tenents of Faith, Register and Account as the ones rotating through.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I am seeing Register and Account rotating through on Chrome and Firefox.

I'm guessing Chrome is your primary browser and you're logged in on Chrome. If that's the case, you likely are seeing the two proper pages because you're logged in - and for those of us who aren't logged in, we're seeing Register and Account.

So you'll need to set the slider to show pages based on those who are not logged in. Although this is a little bit of speculation as I am not sure how you are generating the slideshow.

If I am missing the mark, could you please provide some info on what is generating the slideshow and how the slides are selected?

• quixotica

Oh, I think you are right about being logged in.

The slideshow is generated through the elegant themes template. The pages are not
    protected via the membership plugin, but if I deactivate the membership plugin then they show correctly.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

So in other words, there is no reason why the Hebrew Classes and About Us pages should be restricted. I am able to access both of those pages, so they aren't restricted.

Which leads me to conclude that the Elegant Themes' slider is somehow delivering different content based on whether you're logged in or not. But at the same time the problem fixed itself when you disabled the Membership plugin.

Oh my. Here I go, thinking out loud. This is most definitely an interesting situation we have here. Do you think I would be able to get ahold of an administrator login with admin access to the membership plugin? Diagnosing issues with the Membership plugin is difficult from the outside due to its many facets, settings, and features.

If you're comfortable with giving me such access, could you please send a message with the login info and also include my name in the subject and a link to this thread through our contact form?

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

This is very strange. When I add other pages, they're correctly displayed on the slider, even if I remove About Us and Hebrew Classes.

For some reason the Membership plugin is causing Elegant Theme's slider to think About Us and Hebrew Classes are Register and Account. I even set Account to restricted and it's showing up, even though restricted pages show up as restricted. What's even weirder is when I add the Account page to the slider it shows up on the slider as restricted content along side the other Account page.

What's even weirder is I tried setting up a new About Us page, the new about page showed up as the account page. I then tried adding the new and old About Us pages to the slider and one showed up as the Account page, the other showed up as restricted content - even though neither of them are restricted content.

The more I try and experiment to find a common denominator to figure out where the problem is, the more inconsistant everything appears and the stranger it gets.

And you're right, this is definitely a membership problem as the problem isn't there when the membership plugin is disabled and it only shows up for non-logged in users.

I am going to escalate this and flag the developer. See if he can't shed some light on the situation.

I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve. But I'm sure we'll be able to fix this one way or another.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We've got a new version of membership due out very soon. Obviously the holidays delayed us on the development side, but we should be back on track and have a version to test out on the forums soon.

In the meantime, if you want to send through the theme to us so we can test our dev version with it, then that would be greatly appreciated.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings quixotica,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• quixotica

I am still waiting for the new release that should fix this. I have installed the latest version as of today and it still has not resolved the problem.

As the site is live, I don't feel comfortable installing a beta version on it.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings quixotica,

Thank you for your input but it appears that you have not taken heed to the lead developers suggestion to try Beta 4 as he mentioned above so it looks like there will be a significant wait for the regular release.

I will be posting here approximately every two days then until that release because there is nothing more I can do about this then that and each time the ticket comes on my screen I will post again to move onto the next ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• quixotica

Is there a timeline on the final release with this bug fixed? As I mentioned, I don't think running a beta release on a live site is a good idea, I see lots of error reports on the thread...I didn't realize that I was looking at a "significant" wait...if I am misunderstanding "Beta" and it's really more of a bug fix and should be safe on a live site, let me know.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings quixotica,

There is indeed no blanket answer for all the developers/coders because they each work differently and their personal version of "beta" is different from coder to coder.

Personally I would go with the Beta in this case because this particular developer is actively whacking down the issues and each beta advances the project further ahead with less issues. I believe he mentioned Beta 4 was the last release.

If indeed the current version you are running is running without issues, I would recommend differently, but other then that I would run the beta and add my issues that are not addressed in the thread to the thread.

Yes it is safe to run on a live site in my opinion.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings quixotica,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.