Problem with levels when someone upgrades

I'm having an issue when someone upgrades from Free or adds a Free subscription to their account when they have a higher level subscription. The Free level is blocking access to the higher level. Is there some way to remove the Free level automatically when they upgrade? Is there some sort of setting I'm missing?

• aecnu

Greetings Ed,

I'm having an issue when someone upgrades from Free or adds a Free subscription to their account when they have a higher level subscription. The Free level is blocking access to the higher level. Is there some way to remove the Free level automatically when they upgrade?

There is no way to be assigned two levels that I am aware of, the script will not allow it to the best of my knowledge.

How did they possibly do it comes to my mind?

They are not even offered the free subscription after they upgrade.

Lets get some more details on this please including screen shots of the expanded subscription plans.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• BusinessOnlinePh

I think they are requesting to see the subscription plans on the backend, expanded so that it shows the content. 5 days is a rather long time to be waiting for a reply.

I can see that your descriptions are very hard to read as all the points you have listed are squashed into a single line of text. I am presently seeing if this can be corrected as it is very hard to read and loses almost all of its impact.

"The industry level subscription provides access to the following during the week prior to the cover publication date:1) All station reports;2) All standard spreadsheet downloads: chart data, station reports, release data;3) Customizable reports;4) All directories, including a downloadable station listing kept current by stations;5) Downloadable PDF charts, including the complete JazzWeek archive;6) All benefits included in the free and supporter subscriptions"

• aecnu

Greetings Ed,

I'm not sure what you mean by "screen shots of the expanded subscription plans." Please let me know and I'll submit them.

BusinessOnlinePh is spot on what I am trying to see. I have included a sample screen shot below.

TIP: To prevent extremely long delays in a ticket reply, never bump the ticket or reply to it unless absolutely necessary. The reason is because the way the ticket system works, every reply to a ticket no matter who the reply is from, the priority of the ticket is affected and more importantly its aging.

For example a ticket that has been waiting a week and someone replies, its then moved to hours or perhaps a day in aging which then redistributes its priority for the need to be answered.

Look forward to your screen shot.

Cheers, Joe

• Ed

Joe, I don't see your sample screen shot. Here are the four screen shots. Here is how the subscriptions are set up:

1) Free
    2) Supporter, which gets some access
    3) Industry, which gets the most access
    4) Stations, for radio stations reporting to the site; this subscription is free and private.

Screen shots attached.

@BusinessOnlinePh: For some reason the formatting is being lost in the descriptions. It was bothersome, but I was on a deadline and decided I would deal with it later.

• aecnu

Greetings Ed and BusinessOnlinePh,

@BusinessOnlinePh that is true regarding that you simply enter html code into the WYSIWYG editor so that it generates the correct output. but then be sure to not look at it in the visual editor or it will once again strip the code, but of course only when you save it.

Because of this exact phenomenon, this is why I suppose that WordPress has a specific option in the user profile to Disable the visual editor when writing

@ed a big ooops on my part regarding my screen shot, but you posted exactly what I was seeking, thank you.

Looking over your screen shots I cannot see a thing wrong with them which unfortunately at this point in time leaves me no other option but to ask the lead developer with his invaluable insight into this plugin in here to offer us advice/advise on to what we are missing here which is allowing a member to maintain two levels at the same time.

I do have the right symptom Ed?

Though it may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get the lead developer in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Ed,

Thank you for that additional input regarding the editor and the suggestion.

Normally in the case where I am working with the html, I either hand code it in or design in an html editor (Dream Weaver) and then copy and paste it in.

In addition, there is the Ultimate TinyMCE plugin that I like to use though I cannot recall what the html side of things looks like and if it indeed has the options you mentioned above.

Update: I just tested the latest version and adds more things that of course used to not be available.

Cheers, Joe

• BusinessOnlinePh

TIP: To prevent extremely long delays in a ticket reply, never bump the ticket or reply to it unless absolutely necessary. The reason is because the way the ticket system works, every reply to a ticket no matter who the reply is from, the priority of the ticket is affected and more importantly its aging.

The problem is that WPMU Dev claims "Our members receive spectacular support with a lightning-fast response rate. " but yet this ticket (and others I have seen) waited 3 days from the last reply (at the time I posted).
    Our own ticket system (like almost all) calculates the age from the date and time of the last reply. However, in this case, it was 3 days old when I replied. This is not "spectacular support with a lightning-fast response rate" is it? I am not trying to cause a problem, I just want to make a point.
    On one of my other tickets, I had to reply as the ticket had been overlooked.
    What does WPMU Dev consider to be "spectacular support with a lightning-fast response rate"? My assumption of "lightening fast response rate" would be well under 24 hours. My host replied in 8 minutes and that is indeed lightening fast. 3 days, in my opinion, would be somewhat snails pace.

• Mason

Hiya @BusinessOnlinePh,

Your latest response here (and in other places on the forums) isn't what we'd consider relevant to the original poster's issue. Let's avoid that from here on out. It only clutters the thread and delays the support time.

Should you feel the need to vent or provide any kind of feedback on our support process, drop me a message through the contact form.

Now, Ed, there appear to be 2 issues mentioned in this thread which we are dealing with:

1. allowing a member to maintain two levels at the same time.

Membership doesn't do this. A person cannot have more than one level or subscription at the same time. If you need the same result as 2 levels you'll have to "clone" one level and add the additional properties from the second.

If you have a free level and a premium level, why not make the premium inclusive of all the free access stuff?

We can look into adding multiple levels or subscriptions, but at the moment membership isn't designed to do this. Please let me know if I've missed something there.

2. I notice that in the visual editor, the editor lacks the formatting tags for paragraphs, headers,

Yeah, this is again, by design. As mentioned you can do this through the HTML editor but we can look into building this into the plugin as well. The function currently just echos out like so:
    echo $subscription->sub_description();
    Which WP filters out paragraph and line break tags by default. Same as if you used:
    echo get_the_content();
    But Barry's rather clever so I bet we can get around that as well.

Does that help provide answers to everyone? I'll let Barry make the final call on the paragraph/break tags. I haven't a clue how difficult it will be to provide those.

Thanks!

• Ed

I think there's a misunderstanding. I do not want two levels simultaneously. The software, which is not supposed to allow subscribing at two levels apparently is allowing it nevertheless.

That's the problem. It is causing me headaches. I have people who subscribe and then end up adding a free subscription and then that level ends up blocking their access because of the rules set up for it. I do not want that. I do not want multiple subscriptions simultaneously, but that is what I am getting.

Please let me know if this is not clear and I'll try to explain in more detail. I have an example from the list of members attached.

If the problem is because I have a private free level and a public free level, then maybe we can explore that. The private free level, Stations, is for radio stations to report radio airplay. I don't want to charge them, but I do want to control who can sign up at that level. If I need to make it a paid subscription level and then issue a coupon code with a 100% discount, I can do that as a workaround.

But again, I am getting multiple subscriptions being made at the same time and do not want that.

• BusinessOnlinePh

@masonjames Its not relevant to the original message, but it is relevant to the thread, isn't it? The member of staff was telling off a customer because they "bumped" the message, but they had not had a reply in days and so I thought it was just that they bumped the message as there is little else that we can do.
    The reply you are commenting on is what spawned the ticket I opened. As you requested, I will contact you privately for the answers that were not answered in the thread before you closed it.

• Mason

Thanks Ed,

I understand now what you're saying. Can you try manually dropping the "free" Level/Subscription from a member and see if they regain the appropriate access level?

I'm honestly stumped on how this could be happening. They must be coming back to the registration page after signing up? Still, I don't see why it would block their privileges to free only.

Can you shoot me a message through the contact form with a set of membership admin credentials (a username that has access to membership rules) and a link to this thread for reference?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

I'll log in and take a look for myself. I can't see what's going on as a visitor.

Thanks!

• Barry

The software, which is not supposed to allow subscribing at two levels apparently is allowing it nevertheless.

There is nothing in the software to prevent this? Not sure why you think that is the case.

That's the problem. It is causing me headaches. I have people who subscribe and then end up adding a free subscription and then that level ends up blocking their access because of the rules set up for it.

Are they signing up for the free subscription themselves as well? If they are being added automatically then can you let me know what is in the User Registration setting in your Membership Options -> General page?

• Ed

Why do I think this is the case?

Because I have had subscriptions show up at two levels at once. I know it's not your intention to have this error. And I hope it is not your intention to be contentious. I'm just looking for help on what may be a bug and may be caused by something that's incompatible -- caching, an incompatible plug-in, or something else unforeseen.

Mason from your organization is working on the case and has access to my site. I see in his test subscription that he also was able to subscribe to more than one level.

I've given him access as network admin to see if there are plug-in incompatibilities.

I'm grateful for the support, but I think "lightning-fast" as wpmudev advertises is a slight exaggeration.

• Barry

Because I have had subscriptions show up at two levels at once. I know it's not your intention to have this error.

Not sure what you mean by error. The plugin is designed to allow a user to be on more than one subscription and more than one level at a time.

Can you let me know what you have in the User Registration option in the Membership options page? Also you haven't answered my question as to whether the users are signing up to the second registration on their own, or the system is automatically adding them?

• Mason

Hiya Ed,

As a work around you could add your main subscriptions page to the negative rules (or uncheck it from the positive rules) for all levels other than the visitor level.

This means that folks won't be able to choose an additional subscription but instead can use the built-in upgrade feature of Membership - which will keep folks from having both a paid and free subscription at the same time.

As Barry mentioned the plugin doesn't stop users from adding a new subscription via the registration page. I hadn't encountered anyone doing it that way before, but obviously your users are.

Let us know if you need any help with setting that up. Thanks!

• Ed

Thanks. That sounds like a workable solution. I may actually go ahead and get a little fancy in a custom page template for that page -- redirecting people who are logged in to the account page so that people who are already subscribed don't get confused by the "not available" page.

How about this -- in the code that's called by the short code for the subscriptions page, have a conditional that shows the account page if someone is logged in?

• Mason

Just updating this thread, we have several functions available for checking membership levels.

You will find a whole bunch in the /membershipincludes/includes/functions.php file

Here are a few:

current_user_is_member()
    current_user_has_subscription()
    current_user_on_level($level_id)
    current_user_on_subscription($sub_id)

I believe Ed's using the following now:

if (current_user_has_subscription()) {
    header("Location: /profile/");
    }

Ed, anything else we need here?

• Kenetork

Hello to evryone.. I have the same problem here in my thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/a-subscriber-cant-access-to-a-page-after-upgrading-why

I read all the posts here and I didn't find a solutions for me. I'm having the exact same issue... @Ed how did you fix the issue?

IWHY THE USERS ENTER IN TWO LEVELS AT THE SAME TIME, simple...
    They want to taste the cookie before they buy, but if their free trial haven't expired they will always have 2 subscriptions at the same time and the rules ad blocking each other.

Really big problem here, this is automation, I don't want to drop their free subscription manually... I need some way to remove the Free level automatically when they upgrade or in this case, pay for another membership.

Please, help here!

• Mason

Ed, Glad to hear it's working for ya. If we could make things idiot proof, we totally would :slight_smile: Still, your feedback with members signing up will be considered as we move forward with this plugin and look at ways to make the process as full proof as possible. Thanks for your patience with us as we got there.

@Kenetork, Would my solution above work for you?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problem-with-levels-when-someone-upgrades#post-240605

You need folks to go through the membership upgrade process - not signup for multiple subscriptions.

Thanks!

• Barry

could you explain a bit better that new feature?

Basically it reverses the current level based shortcodes.

So, if you wanted to show the subscription form only to those not on a level (called maybe "levelone") then you could put the following in your registration form page

[not-level-leveone]
    [subscriptionform]
    [/not-level-levelone]

and it would only show for those not on that level. You could then, underneath those shortcodes, put:

[level-levelone]
    You are already have a subscription - well done, here is your account form
    [accountform]
    [/level-levelone]

• Kenetork

@Barry Thankyou for the explanation...

I think it is great!

But I have another BIG problem in this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/private-an-public-levels

I could create some levels and avoid them to show to the public making them "private", but the shortcodes are not functioning for those "private" levels, I think that the plugin is just allowing to work those shortcodes when I make the corresponding level to "public", you can read more on the thread, but in a nutshell I tried to protect content to be shown just for those "private" levels using shortcodes for them, and on the same page I tried to protect the content from other "public" levels.

Conclusions: the shortcodes for the "public" ones worked and disappear the content, but the "private" ones don't.

Is this a bug? or something else?, I think you could explain this better than anyone, because you've created this...

Thankyou in advance!

• aecnu

Greetings Ed,

Thank you everyone involved here on this ticket.

It appears that Ed's situation is resolved and Barry has a plan in motion to prevent those with a certain subscription from seeing lower subscriptions.

@Kenetork it is WPMU Dev protocol to not give release dates due to the massive outcry we get when the day comes and the release is held up for whatever reason.

I believe I am in on some of your tickets and that Barry is indeed flagged there, though at least the partial solution is obviously in an upcoming release.

This ticket placed by Ed is resolved.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.