Problem with Mail Chimp/Member2 integration

Hi Support guys

I am having an ongoing problem that I cannot solve.

I have Mailchimp for wordpress and Mailchimp user sync installed.

When a new subscriber joins they automatically become a standard member in my group 'Member registration'

That all works fine and it syncs with Mail chimp.

However:

When I screen the application and allocate them to a new group such as Free member or Temporary member, then I immediately get a notification(from Mail chimp) sent to me and the subscriber that they have been unsubscribed.

I am loosing a lot of subscribers because of this.

Please can you help me? I have given you access.

Regards
Nixiwaka

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Nixiwaka,

There is no support access to your site so I cannot check your settings, but I suspect that in MailChimp integration you selected one list in first option for Registered members that didn't join yet any membership, and there is no other list chosen for the users that joined membership? Am I correct?

If yes, then what you see is correct behavior. You have 3 options for different states of users on your website in MailChimp integration add-on. You should select there 3 different lists from your mailchimp.
    When users registers to your site they are added to first list (registered users but not yet members) - then you add them to membership so they became members - so they no longer are part of the first list, they are unsubscribed and subscribed to second list.
    So if you have only one list selected in MailChimp integration after you add user to membership they are unsubscribed and without next list to subscribe they are off your lists.

So you need to add second list (it cannot be same list!) for members.

Let me know if this will work for you.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nixiwaka

Hi Kasia

I'm Sorry. I didn't expect you to answer so fast. I have enabled support access now.

Ok. I understand. So a segment is not good enough? Can you confirm that I have to open a group and not a segment.

Secondly, when I add the new member to a group I do not remove them from the first group. Does Mailchimp or Membership 2 automatically remove them from the first group. And can I make it that they remain in that group?

Thank you for coming back to me so fast.

Regards Nixiwaka

• Nixiwaka

Hi Kasia.

I am still having problems getting my sign up to integrate smoothly. Please can you assist me?

I have 'mailchimp for wordpress' and 'mailchimp user sync' installed. I have gone over all the settings ten times.

I have deactivated all plug ins and tested according to your instructions. They are still deactivated as you will see. I also created my three groups as you suggested.

When a new subscriber signs up they are supposed to be put into the 'Subscribers group' by default. Then once I have checked their application I place them into one of my groups currently, 'Approved members' or 'Temporary members'.

However, when I test the system by subscribing myself (using another email address, not the one I am admin with) It accepts and sends the correct confirmation to the subscriber and the confirmation to admin(me) to show that a new member has joined. But it places the new subscriber in the 'Subscriber Group' and the 'Approved member group'. It should only be putting them into the subscriber group.

It also sends a third email a few minutes later notifying admin and the subscriber that he has been unsubscribed. I have deactivated this(in mail chimp) so members do not get confused and think that they are unsubscribed, however I still get these reversed notices that they are unsubscribed when they subscribe or that they are subscribed when they unsubscribe.

If I delete the subscriber from the database then it sends me a note saying that a new member has subscribed.

I have given you access. Please can you have a look and see where I have gone wrong?
    I can send you access details to the ftp if you need that?

Regards
    Nixiwaka

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Nixiwaka,

I have 'mailchimp for wordpress' and 'mailchimp user sync' installed. I have gone over all the settings ten times.

I have deactivated all plug ins and tested according to your instructions. They are still deactivated as you will see. I also created my three groups as you suggested.

Settings for the MailChimp integration add-on are set correctly - did you also deactivated all the mailchimp plugins while you were testing only MailChimp subscriptions add-on?
    Because "mailchimp user sync" does the same thing for registered members that mailchimp add-on - and this looks like conflict between all those MailChimp plugins.
    I tried to test registration on your site, but looks like you disabled it by removing user name from form.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nixiwaka

Hi Karsia

Thank you for your attention.

No, I did not disable Mailchimp for wordpress or mailchimp user sync because I thought I had to have them on for testing. They are the only plug-ins I left active besides membership2. It sounds like that could be where the problem is, but I will not have time to look at it again for a day or two. If possible could you take a look.

I have not disabled the registration form. So, I don't know why you can't log in. Perhaps it is because you are already registered from a past test? But if so, I don't know which address you registered with to check.

I have made sure that you still have access if you can take a look at it.

Warm Regards
    Nixiwaka

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Nixiwaka,

OK, so you have mailchimp integration enabled and two separate mailchimp plugins that are synchronizing users with mailchimp list. And Mailchimp add-on does the same - synchronize users/members with the same list on mailchimp.
    It looks as our source of conflict - if you need MailChimp for WP for subscription form then please disable synchronization with subscribers list there because Membership 2 pro add-on tries to do the same thing. Or disable it in the Membership add-on and leave only members lists.

I have not disabled the registration form. So, I don't know why you can't log in. Perhaps it is because you are already registered from a past test? But if so, I don't know which address you registered with to check.

Sorry for this confusion - I usually use email with + sign, so your form simply didn't allow me to use it and there is no username field so that made me think you disable it. I used my normal mail and was able to register no problem.

However, when I test the system by subscribing myself (using another email address, not the one I am admin with) It accepts and sends the correct confirmation to the subscriber and the confirmation to admin(me) to show that a new member has joined. But it places the new subscriber in the 'Subscriber Group' and the 'Approved member group'. It should only be putting them into the subscriber group.

OK, I can see now what is happening - your registration form directly adds users to membership - and in MailChimp add-on you set that members are added to Approved Members list in MailChimp. Member of _any_ membership will go to the Approved Members list in MailChimp - only logged in users (but not yet members) will go to the Subscribers list.
    Instead of the "Subscribers" standard membership you would need to use Default membership - this way users that registered wont be members of any membership and will go to the Subscribers list and only when you add them to Approved Member membership they will change lists in mailchimp.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nixiwaka

Thank you Kasia

You are amazing. This really helps. I have not had time to fix it all yet as we are preparing for a big ceremony this weekend, but what you said makes total sense and I'm sure that I will be able to get it working finaly. I've been battling with it for a long time and even considered dropping membership2. But it is a great system for me and I love what it can do.

So, a big special thanks and a big hug for you for your detailed attention.

I'm not marking this as resolved yet, as I may still need some advice but will only be able to get back onto it next week after the ceremony. I'll let you know.

Thank you
    Nixiwaka

• Nixiwaka

Hi Kasia

I am still having some problems setting this up. Thank you for your patience.

I have deleted all mailchimp sync and mailchimp for wordpress. Have also deactivated mailchimp plug in. I want to get this working on its own before I go into syncing with mailchimp.

When a new subscriber signs up, all goes well. They receive an email saying that they have been subscribed and that I will review the subscription and get back to them.

Then I go into All Members and if I approve, place them either into the 'Temporary member' or 'Approved member' group. However it does not send them an email saying that their membership has been approved. I have tried all sequences of settings but cannot get it to send the confirmation email.

What am I doing wrong? I have given you access.

Love
    Nixiwaka

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Nixiwaka,

What am I doing wrong? I have given you access.

You are not doing anything wrong - settings are OK. I found that there is reported bug regarding those emails - after last update they are not sending anymore.
    I'm adding your thread to bug report - as soon as there will be update or hot fix for that I will update your thread.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nixiwaka

Hi Kasia

I see there was a new WPMUDEV version update. Which I loaded.
    However, again when a new subscriber signs up, all goes well. They receive an email saying that they have been subscribed and that I will review the subscription and get back to them.

Then I go into 'All Members' and if I approve, place them either into the 'Temporary member' or 'Approved member' group. However it still does not send them an email saying that their membership has been approved.

It is really important to me that this works. I can't really launch my site until it is fixed.

Any feedback from the guys who were supposed to fix it?

In anticip.....ation of everything workin correctly soon.

Love Nixiwaka