problem with Membership access levels

I have a problem with Membership access levels. I want to create two groups. Group 1. "read only" Group 2. "read only + marketing". I thought I had it working till users told me they could not login. So I tested some of their logins and found that they could login and access all pages except the home page. So when they logged in nothing would change on the screen (no redirect) unless they click on a page from the menu bar at the top of the page all pages worked except for the Home page.
I have since deleted both groups and recreated a group called “read only – normal” I set a Negative Rule for “Menu = Marketing”. I would think this would allow users to have full access to the site except for the Marketing Menu button. Now users are not allowed on the Home page or AP/Finance page which is bad, but the Marketing page is not listed which is good. I am running Wordpress 3.7.1, Membership 3.4.6.1, on a Twenty Twelve child theme. The goal is to have an employee only website that is 90% password protected with a few pages that are allowed if you have the direct link. Of the 260 users 235 will have access to everything but the Marketing pages, the remaining 25 users will have access to everything including the Marketing pages.

• Alexander

,Hi @AircondIT

The goal is to have an employee only website that is 90% password protected with a few pages that are allowed if you have the direct link.

For this kind of setup, here's what I'd recommend:

1. Create an access level called "Visitor" or "Guest" In this level, use positive rules and specify the few pages that you would like non members to access via URL.

2. Go to "Membership -> Options" and on the "general" tab, set the "Stranger settings" to use that guest level.

3. Create your other access levels, and use negative rules to block any content you don't want accessible. They should have access to everything else by default.

Let me know how this goes. It sounds like you're close, but I believe this will help.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.