Problem with migration of Membership Plugin over to Protected Content plugin

Gentlemen,

I am trying to migrate from the Membership 3.8 plugin to the "new membership 4.0" plugin - namely Protected Content. As I had not launched yet and the old "Membership" Plugin was not going to be updated with new features etc. I elected to 'migrate' to the new plugin prior to launch. While at first I was excited with the ease of how the settings wizard worked you through the setup process, the fact that it was ideally suited to the tier approach I had elected to use for my site, the post by post protection and the ability to upgrade or downgrade subscriptions, I unfortunately have hit a what I consider as a major snag in how the page structure is handled.

My problem is that I have a page structure that seems to incompatible with your new plugin. My old Membership page for instance was http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_manor/members_home/ but when I try to change the url which is not really a url but more of a slug it strips out all of the formatting, seemingly forcing me to have my 'Membership Site Pages' as 'Virtual' pages and Main Pages with no parent. Not really sure who thought up this bit of nonsense but if you had expected that people might want to 'migrate' from one plugin to the other this does not lend itself well to doing that. As I am not able to select which page are my 'Membership Site Pages' [ as You could in 'Membership 3.8' ] and I am forced to go with your created 'Virtual' pages then that makes my job so much more time consuming as I will have to edit pages / links and menus to match the new structure caused by this '?limitation?'. It is my hope that I am just missing something that will allow me to select which ever page I desire as you could in Membership 3.8.

Please advise!

Greg

Vinod Dalvi

Hi Greg,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Yes you can set Protected Content pages same like Membership Site Pages by setting whichever page you desire in the Protect Content Settings on the following path as displayed in the attached screenshot.

Admin Area -> Protect Content -> Settings -> mbership Site Pages

Please advise if you have more questions.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Greg

Vinod,

I don't think you read my post very carefully. I have been to the page you suggested already. Where I tried to make changes to the urls but they will not save the url correctly. It strips out all the back slashes and changes the periods to dashes when I try to enter a new url.

If I enter http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_manor/members_home/
    the plugin will seemingly save the url but when I go back to view the url is is displayed as /httpwww-lawfulmoneytrust-commembers_manormembers_home/ Please see attached pictures.

Also when I go back to the Page Settings and click on View or Edit it gives me the old pages even though it shows the newer url.

Please Advise!

Greg

PS - If you need it, I have turned on Support Access too!

Vinod Dalvi

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

Where I tried to make changes to the urls but they will not save the url correctly. It strips out all the back slashes and changes the periods to dashes when I try to enter a new url.

If I enter http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_manor/members_home/
    the plugin will seemingly save the url but when I go back to view the url is is displayed as /httpwww-lawfulmoneytrust-commembers_manormembers_home/ Please see attached pictures.

This is because you have to just add the slug of the page in the Edit URL field and not whole page URL.

Also when I go back to the Page Settings and click on View or Edit it gives me the old pages even though it shows the newer url.

I could reproduce this issue on my test site using latest version of Protected Content plugin therefore i have notified the plugin developer about it so that it can be fixed.

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

Greg

Still needing an answer on this one guys! Again hoping some kind soul will give me an answer!

I have run the most recent update and the problem "bug?" still exists. Namely I can not setup a membership page that is not a Parent page. For Instance: /parent_page/membership_page/ [a child page] is entered and the plugin strips out the '/' formatting so it then becomes /parent_pagemembership_page/ after saving. I am a very basic user but it would seem to me that editing the URL would best be accomplished as it is on the 'Media / Downloads' tab. i.e. htp://sitename.com editable/slug/page_name.

Since the plugin seems to be treating URL as slugs instead, how do you add a slug when the membership page is a child page as in the example above?

I am migrating from Membership to Protect Content plugin and so I hoped it would be a 'simpler' migration than it has been. But I need an answer to this question in order to proceed with my website development, if I am unable to select any membership page I desire as in 'Membership' plugin! It will not be desirous for me as it will mean re-working my entire site but at least I can then proceed knowing my options.

Thanks

Greg

calvinrogercanas

How do you add a slug when there is a parent page? For Instance: /parent_page/membership_page/ which strips out the / formatting. and then becomes /parent_pagemembership_page/ after saving.

Hello Greg,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You should just put /membership_page/ on 'Memberships page' even if it's a child page under a parent page.

It will automatically detect the page since /parent_page/membership_page/ is just an alias of /membership_page/.

Example: I will use your site as an example.

This url
    http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_home/

will be redirected to

this url
    http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_manor/members_home/

because you assigned the /members_home/ to be a child page of page with slug '/members_manor/'

I hope this solves your issue.

Best regards,
    Calvin

Greg

Calvin / WPMU Staff,

Thank you for the info. I tried your suggestion but I still have no resolution to the problem.

I have tried the following to resolve this problem i.e. set the Membership Site Page URLs to something other than their default settings:

Entering the full URL:

If I enter http://www.lawfulmoneytrust.com/members_manor/members_home/ for instance - the plugin will seemingly save the URL but when I go back to view it the URL is displayed as /httpwww-lawfulmoneytrust-commembers_manormembers_home/

Entering a partial URL:

If I enter /members_manor/members_home/ for instance - the plugin will seemingly save the URL but when I go back to view it the URL is displayed as /members_manormembers_home/

Entering the Child Page Slug Only:

If I enter /members_home/ for instance - the plugin will seemingly save the URL but when I go back to view the Membership Site Page URLs are now being changed back to the default pages used for the wizard [?I suppose?] and will generate the Virtual pages all over again [I am now on the fourth / fifth version of these pages as I keep having to delete them]. The Wizard is turned off in the General Settings so I am not sure why it is re-generating the default pages at all.

I have reviewed my all settings and functions but cannot see anything that is amiss there. I have setup the Membership Site Pages / URLs in numerous ways but with the same result of it resetting my pages or stripping out the formatting of the URLs and/or now resetting all pages to their defaults and regenerating the default 'Virtual' pages. I am not sure if it is related but Vinod already determined that a bug exists in the Membership Site Pages module because the 'View Page' and 'Edit Page' buttons point back to the default pages and not to the new page URLs entered when editing.

It is my fervent hope that someone will help me resolve this issue in a timely manner or at the least determine if the Membership Site Page function has another bug. I have only held out for a resolution because I do not desire to have to re-work my entire site. Honestly I had expected the solution to be something simple I have overlooked and with all honesty I am still hopeful that is the case, but with the problem as it is now with the plugin automatically resetting my pages I am beginning to think otherwise.

WordPress and all plugins are up to date and if you need to see what I am talking about, I have turned on Support Access. To observe my problem, go to my site and do the following:

1 - Change the Membership Site Pages to:

Memberships = /members_home/ - a Child Page of /members_manor/
    Protected Content = /protected/ - a Parent Page
    Account = /member-account/ - a Child Page of /members_manor/
    Register = /register/ - a Child Page of /members_manor/
    Registration Complete = /welcome/ - a Parent Page

[All my Membership Pages have the appropriate shortcodes as generated on the default pages]

2 - Delete the Virtual Pages:

3 - Return to the Membership Site Pages to see that the Pages have reset themselves [this is not always instantaneous]

4 - Notice that the Virtual Pages have regenerated themselves

Please will someone help me with this and be my WPMU hero!

With all sincerity and hopefulness,

Greg

calvinrogercanas

Hello Greg,

Sorry that the problem is still there.

While our developer check the bug, I will show you a method that you can use for the meantime(I hope you will use it).

If you go to Pages >> Virtual you will notice that the 'virtual membership page' is gone. I tried to edit it and check if it will work as the page you can assign on the protected content pages. It works fine with me.

With these steps I hope it will be a temporary solution for you.
    0.) Go to Protected Content >> Settings >> Membership Sites Pages
    1.) Click edit page on respective pages then edit the slug (Refer to the image below)
    2.) Publish it
    3.) Go to Protected Content >> Settings >> Membership Sites Pages again.
    4.) Put the custom slug that you just saved on the respective designation input field. NOTE: not the whole url just the custom slug (example: /custom-slug/ )

Another Note: After you edit a virtual pages and publish it; its location will be moved to 'Published' pages.

I hope you understand my instruction. Forgive me if it's confusing.

Best Regards,
    Calvin

Greg

Jack,

Sorry, yes it is resolved! I was going to post the extra steps I took to resolve the issue but I can close the topic if you wish. I still think there is a bug in Settings / Membership Site Pages because it should not take a work around to be able to reset the Membership Pages to pages other than the Virtual Pages generated by the plugin wizard. Basically the extra steps involve resetting the slugs and pages in the Membership Site Pages to those I had originally wanted to set them to by changing the slugs of my original pages to original_page_slug_v2 then change the Virtual Pages to my original slugs i.e. original_page_slug. I then had to copy the content of the original page to the renamed Virtual Pages and finally delete the original pages which are now the v2 'version 2' page.

Not sure if that make sense but I can give anyone the detailed steps of the transition if they want - just hit me up.

Thanks

Greg