Problem with Support plugin. IMAP doesn't seem to be working properly.

My IMAP is set to imap.gmail.com as instructions say at:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

Everything seems to be entered correctly.

But when I click to TEST IMAP SETTINGS it just spins and spins and never submits anything.

Even when I just save the changes, and enter a test support ticket, nothing is sent to my email address.

Please let me know what might be the issue or how we can debug this.

I use Google Apps (Gmail) for my email.

Help?
Gary

• Gary M. Gordon

David,

Thanks. The information I saw at the end of that post said:

"Hi mattfraser,

I too had the same issue, but I found a solution to get it to work with gmail. You must install the following plugin to change the way WP deals with email. The plugin is called WP Mail SMTP. Once you set up the plugin, the way your hosting is set up must be taken into account. If you have a direct hosting account, the plugin should work without issue. If you happen to have a shared hosting account like I do, you must make a few changes to your cpanel. First, you must create an email account in Cpanel using your google account info. This seems unnecessary for it to work, but it is essential to allow the smtp plugin to work properly. FOllowing this step, you must go to your MX records in Cpanel and change the configuration from a "Automatically Detect Configuration" to "Remote Mail Exchanger". Log back into Wordpress and send a test email. Should work.

Once you have set this up, go to the newsletter plugin and include all the settings for your Google account and it will send the newsletter to all you website members. Hope this helps."

So, .. is all of this really necessary in order to get it to work? If so, can you explain why? It just seems odd that all of this is required to simply connect to my Google Apps email account.

I'm just curious why and hoping you might be able to explain the issue?

Gary

• Timothy Bowers

Hi.

Just checking in to see how things are going. I wonder if you gave the suggestion a try to see how it worked for you? :slight_smile:

We could then provide feedback to the developer so he could look into it further.

Anyway as we haven't heard form you on this in a while. So I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.