Problem with WordThumb script. Help?

Okay, I’m running a Multisite. It has several sub-sites (domain mapped with WPMUDEV plugin) that are using themes with the WordThumb (which became TimThumb 2?) script in them. We’re not sure when, but recently the script just stopped working. Bam! Most images are now broken. On a couple of the sites, we just disabled the script (theme had the option) and they were good to go. However, on one, we’ve still got all kinds of image problems.

The site is http://aspenlanding.com/ –you’ll see that even the logo is affected. You can run the script from the address bar like this: http://aspenlanding.com/wp-content/themes/rezo/themify/img.php?src=http://aspenlanding.com/files/2013/01/aspen-landing-web-logo.png as you can see there’s a bunch of errors. Any ideas where I would look to resolve these? Also, any clues about what might’ve changed that would cause them to suddenly start, when they worked fine before?

  • Patrick
    • Support Monkey

    Hiya @Tevya Washburn

    My recommendation (this might hurt a bit) is to use a different theme. Timthumb (and/or whatever name it had before) has been the source of numerous issues over the years.

    If that isn’t an option, perhaps contacting the theme author would be advisable: http://themify.me/themes/rezo

    Here’s an another alternative you may wish to explore: http://matthewruddy.github.com/Wordpress-Timthumb-alternative/

  • Tevya
    • Recruit

    Thanks @patrick, but switching themes isn’t really an option because 1. the client loves their site, and 2. we just can’t afford the time and effort, unless the client wants to pay us, which they don’t (see #1).

    I realize Timthumb has had security issues in the past, but those were fixed and it’s worked quite well in all the cases where we’ve had it in a theme we used. This just suddenly sprang up and has me scratching my head.

    I’ve opened a ticket with themify.me, yesterday. But am not getting any fast answers. That’s why I thought Id ask here, as I thought some of you might have a better idea what those errors mean, and what might cause them to start, when they weren’t there before? If we can trace it to something we changed/updated on the server, and merely need to tweak/roll-back, hopefully it will be a fairly easy fix. If it’s more complicated, then we might consider more drastic options.

  • Patrick
    • Support Monkey

    Hi again @Tevya Washburn

    If we can trace it to something we changed/updated on the server

    That sounds like it might be a key area to explore. That, and any plugin/script installs or updates.

    What have you changed recently? Specifically what was changed just before you noticed this issue?

  • Tevya
    • Recruit

    That’s just it, we’re not aware of anything that was changed/updated. Unless it was the update to WP 3.5, but we checked all sites after that. Our hosting has made some updates to keep everything running well. But I’m not sure of all the details. Updates like updating PHP to the latest version, etc. I was hoping for some insight into those errors, that might point me to somewhere more specific to look. It sounds like I just need to wait to hear back from the theme’s dev and/or my host, unless anyone has any other insights?

  • Tevya
    • Recruit

    @patrick you nailed it man!

    I’d forgotten, but my host support people had updated PHP from PHP 5.2 to 5.3 recently. That’s not normally a problem, except that PHP 5.2 did not require the date.timezone option to be explicitly stated in php.ini, while PHP 5.3 now does. Since that wasn’t there, it suddenly started causing all those errors with WordThumb/img.php.

    The other “problem” was my own fault. If I’d waited for that fix, everything would be back online right now. Before I discovered all the above, I tried updating the theme and framework. When that didn’t fix it, I ran the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin, which is built into the theme. Unfortunately I also had another plugin that resizes the “fullsize” image to the “large” size settings. This has a known bug where it doesn’t work on any folder except the current month’s date-based folder. So running the Regenerate Thumbnails also ran the fullsize image resizer plugin, but it failed in most cases, causing there to be no full-size image. So even after we got the php.ini updated, all those files are still broken, because there is no full-size image for them to link to. I’m working to figure out the best way to get us back on track. But it should be there soon.

    You were absolutely right though. Identifying what had changed was the key. I’d just written that off because usually a PHP update is only a good thing, and doesn’t have issues.

  • Patrick
    • Support Monkey

    Hi @Tevya Washburn

    Excellent!

    Glad I could help point you in the right direction :slight_smile:

    I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as resolved for now.

    But if you still need more help on this, simply re-open the thread by ticking the Mark as Not Resolved (re-open) box below.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.