Probleme with upgrades

Hello hello,

Today i have a big mysterious question for you :slight_smile:

Please have a look on my screenshot for a better anderstanding.

I have 2 differents levels on Pro Sites.
1st level : VIP
2nd level : PRO

Recently i found this problem :

A member have a "VIP" subscription for 12 months.
He decided to change his subscription (himself) by the next level "PRO".

The VIP level was cancelled , the paypal subscription cancelled.
A new subscription was created for the "PRO", but his next payment will be paid at the end of the previous timing level. (??)

But the Blog get the next level immediatly without payment...

So, the first payment for the PRO level will be made the next year, but the Blog get the new level just after the subscription modification.

Do you think it's a bug or bad settings ?

Thank you for your help,
Bertrand

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there,

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I don't think it's a bug. I haven't heard anything like this, although I'm not sure really what's going on. Let's start with a screenshot of your ProSites' levels and then your PayPal settings with the private information removed, or blurred out. OK?

Cheers,
    Paul

Broken stylesheet for theme name in Multisite? Did you know: http://goo.gl/XKJGA

• localdirect

Exact same issue here. Using Paypal Pro

Had a user upgrade their account themselves today. Their old annual subscription was cancelled and a new annual one created, but the payment date for the next payment is showing as a year from now (March 2014)

I checked in paypal too and this also shows the next payment due dated as March 2014.

So somehow the payment for the current year (i.e. the new subscription minus the balance of the existing one) has been missed completely

The difference between the two subscription rates is $800 so its a large amount to miss out on!

• slife

Hi Tom,

No, actually that don't happens like that.

I give you a basic example :

Level 1 : 10$ for 1 year
    Level 2 : 50$ for 1 year

You buy today a "Level 1" for a 12 month period. (10$)
    Tomorrow you upgrade by "Level 2" for a 12 month period (50$)

This is whats happens :

Your "Level 1" subscription is cancelled
    Your "Level 2" subscription is opened

Your don't make any payment at this time
    You don't have any prorated payment to do
    Nothings change on your subscription date

Your 1st new payment of 50$ was effective only the next year ! (at the end of your previous cancelled subscription)

But your new "Level 2" is effective immediatly.

I resolved manually the recent errors by removing "Pro site statut" for the members, cancelled their new subscription, and asking them to did it again.

I hope my explanation is clear Tom :wink:

Thanks

• localdirect

Yes, I can confirm what slife is saying for an upgrade from one level to another

subscription 1 was cancelled (it was an annual plan)
    subscription 2 was created (also an annual plan)

However the 2nd subscription is set to start in March 2014 according to paypal but they have already been granted access to the additional features by prosites, so the customer has free access to level 2 from now until then. The prorated difference between the two subscriptions for the current year has not been charged to the customer.

I tried to manually resolve this by sending a manual payment via paypal but had no response from the customer.

• Aaron

Do you have free trials enabled? And this is with the PayPal gateway?

What it should be doing is adjusting the date appropriately. So if they just recently purchsed $10 for a year, it would apply what's left of that to the next level $50.

10/50 * 365 days = 73 days, so the new sub created would have first payment 73 days from now.

Are you sure that they are changing actual level, not just plan for a level? Changing plans for the same level or downgrading levels would act as you describe.

• localdirect

Hi Aaron,

In my case it was an upgrade from an annual subscription to my second paid level to an annual subscription to level 3. So yes, a change of level, not of subscription length. The user had only subscribed to level 2 a few hours before the upgrade, so the difference in payment was about as big as it could be. Gateway is Paypal, no free trial enabled (although i'm planning on adding this - would it make a difference?)

Based on your calculations above it would be 327/1167 * 365 = 102 days

However next payment date is showing in both prosites and paypal as 20 March 2014 (inital signup was 21 March 2013)

Here's a copy of the account history log within prosites (I've obscured bits of the log for security):

2013-03-21 2:46:07 am PayPal subscription IPN "recurring_payment_profile_created" received. - I-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-21 2:45:50 am Pro Site level upgraded from "Elite" to "Elite+".
    2013-03-21 2:45:49 am User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: Old subscription canceled - I-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-21 2:45:48 am User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: New subscription created (Mysite.com Elite+: $1,167 USD every 12 months), first payment will be made on March 20, 2014 - I-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-20 8:16:47 pm PayPal subscription IPN "recurring_payment_profile_created" received. - I-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-20 8:16:41 pm Payment receipt email sent to [users email]
    2013-03-20 8:16:40 pm PayPal IPN "Completed" received: $327 express_checkout payment received, transaction ID XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-20 8:16:33 pm Signup success email sent to [users email]
    2013-03-20 8:16:32 pm Pro Site status expiration extended until March 20, 2014.
    2013-03-20 8:16:31 pm User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Subscription created (Mysite.com Elite: $327 USD every 12 months) - Profile ID: I-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    2013-03-20 8:16:29 pm User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Initial payment successful (Mysite.com Elite: $327 USD every 12 months) - Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So the old subscription is cancelled here, a new one started to begin next year but the blanace for this year has not been collected.

You mentioned that it should recalculate the date, so it sounds as though that new subscription should have been set to start at 102 days from now. That would be better than the current situation but still seems hardly ideal - what if the customer cancelled before then? They'd still effectively have access to the higher level for free for over 3 months. Being able to take immediate payment for the upgrade is what i'm really after. As I mentioned before, i've had no response from the customer to my manual payment request, which is disappointing as they'd obviously made the mental commitment to purchase, just didn't fancy following through when they realised they could get access for free!

• Aaron

I havn't been able to recreate this, it could be a fluke.

They'd still effectively have access to the higher level for free for over 3 months.

That's not really true, your just using the leftover money they already paid for and applying to the new plan. If it was for access to a product or download they could take and run then yes that wouldn't work. But we're selling a time-based service.

Being able to take immediate payment for the upgrade is what i'm really after. As I mentioned before, i've had no response from the customer to my manual payment request, which is disappointing as they'd obviously made the mental commitment to purchase, just didn't fancy following through when they realised they could get access for free!

I understand how you feel, this behavior was due to API limitations and is how this site actually worked, we copied the code from it. It would be good to change this in a future version though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.