Problems all over the place when installing

Hi.

I am trying to setup a wordpress multisite using Pro Sites plugin. I Have some issues :smiley:

1) I have followed the steps from the installation guide and activated my Wordpress Network. However, the string i have to add in my .htaccess makes an error that tells me that the server configuration is wrong and i cant get access to my website at all. This might cause the other problems i have?

2) I am able to create a new site on my network, from the admin panel, but none of the pages or posts works, i only get a 404 error on everything except the front page. This also happens on my main page.

3) Im not sure if pages should be automaticly created when installing the plugin, like signup page, upgrade page and so on, but i'm not able to see any pages at all, except the default frontpage of my theme, and i have no idea what the names of the pages are for each form. I figured out one page tho "wp-signup.php"

4) When i try to register a new site trough the link (as a customer) "http://localhost/wp-signup.php", i can see the form and all, but when the registration is complete, i don't recieve any activation email. I have set my email in the Pro Sites option panel as well.

I have installed this on localhost, if this helps with something.

Basically i can't get anything to work :smiley: I'm sorry for my lack of brain power, but what am i doing wrong? I have spent a few hours trying to install this plugin, but with no success.

Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Warlizz.

1. Which string do you refer to?

2. Often 404s are caused by issues with the htaccess file.

3. Have you changed the settings in the back end for Pro sites? You will get a page titled pro-sites or if you change the setting:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Pro Sites --> Settings

/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=psts-settings

"Rebrand Pro Sites"

I've attached a screenshot. Changing that will allow you generate a new page with that brand. First though the old page must be totally deleted.

4. Thats a WordPress thing, not a Pro Sites option. wp-signup.php is also a WordPress page. Can you check your error logs to see if anything is being thrown out there.

If you are not sure how yo get your error logs then please ask your host as they will know the set up best.

Take care.

• Warlizz

1) When i add this string in my .htaccess i get a 500 internal server error.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

I did another fresh install and set it up, but i still can't get any pages to show, i can't get any pages that Pro Sites plugin should create eather,. I have setup Admin --> Network Admin --> Pro Sites --> Settings.
    I tried to give full permission to everything aswell

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Thats generated by WordPress if its from there.

Just realised it the sub folder install you are running right? (I hardly ever use sub folders which was I didn't recognise it at first.)

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

4. I notice now in there you are using localhost. I suspect php mail might be disabled.

I then noticed you are actually running this on Windows, I don't personally use Windows....

Can you try re-saving the permalinks again, then test. Did that change anything?

Were all the instructions followed in setup.php when you enabled network (all the wp-config, htaccess stuff, etc).

What happens when using default permlinks or other permalinks?

Are ownership and file permissions all correct, so that htaccess is readable?

Let me know how you go.

• Warlizz

1) I have tried to resave permalinks, no success.
    2) I still get a 500 error when adding the .htaccess
    3) I did follow all the instructions in the setup.php when enabling the network, however, the .htaccess string that i have to add gives me a 500 error.
    4) No changes when changing permalinks, i have tried them all.

5)The requested URL /weesite/wp-admin/ was not found on this server. Tthis happens when i try to add a site manually and then go to its dashboard.

I am going to try another fresh install on a live server instead (need to buy one first), this is starting to annoy me alot! :slight_smile:

thanks