Problems and errors importing comments

Hi

I posted a comment here:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-facebook-7#post-310292

Sorry for double posting. I have similar problems.

1) Please correct me if I´m wrong. The Import Facebook comments option SAVE all the comments made with the facebook comment app to my wordpress database. It is supposed to work in that way?

2) If the above is correct. Then, I´m not getting any of the new comments to my database although the Import Facebook Comment option is ticked. I don´t see any of this comments made with facebook app displayed under the Wordpress Comments list in the admin panel. What can be causing this?

3) I don´t know if this is related but I´m getting an error with the facebook developper debug tool wich reads:

Errors That Must Be Fixed
More Than One OG URL Specified:	Object at URL 'http://www.pergaminodezenit.com/uncategorized/prueba/' of type 'article' is invalid because it specifies multiple 'og:url' values: http://www.pergaminodezenit.com/uncategorized/prueba/, http://www.pergaminodezenit.com/uncategorized/prueba/.

Please help here. In the past I used the Comment Plus plugin without problem, it imported the comments to my database. But I delete that plugin as I prefer to use just Ultimate Facebook.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Ultimate Facebook comments synchronization works a bit differently then the Comments Plus one - posts published on Facebook via Ultimate Facebook have their link property mappable to the URL of the post on your blog. This is later used on comments import, to track down the post that the comment needs to be mapped to. If this process fails (i.e. if the plugin can't back-map a Facebook post to a local post on your blog), the comment will not be imported.

As for the duplicated OpenGraph url issue, that's stemming from duplicated set of OpenGraph tags on your site - one is from Yoast's SEO plugin, the other one comes from Ultimate Facebook. Depending on your specific needs, you'll want to turn off OpenGraph settings in one or the other.

• Laura
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @Vladislav and @Tom

I read about the mapping mechanism but why the process is failing if og:url clearly have the post url in it ?

It is not clear to me if after the mapping occur, the comment is saved in the wordpress database as a normal wordpress comment?

Could you please clarify ?

Thank you very much for pointing out which is the plugin causing the OpenGraph url issue.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The OpenGraph url property on your site isn't the one used for comment mapping - it's the link property of the Facebook post (on Facebook). So, if the link of the Facebook post, as a separate, standalone property, doesn't resolve to a local post on your blog, the plugin won't be importing comments for that post.

• Laura

@Tom and @Vladislav

Sorry, it is still not clear to me if after the mapping occur, the comment is saved in the wordpress database as a normal wordpress comment? Can you please answer that?

And, can you please explain how to check if the link of the Facebook post, as a separate, standalone property, doesn't resolve to a local post on my blog?

Thanks

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

When the comments are imported, they are stored locally, in your local WordPress database, as regular WordPress comments. Actually, there's a little bit of extra info stored with them, which is used by the plugin to render the gravatars and not import them twice or more times, but other then that, they're regular WordPress comments from that point on.

As for the post link, here's a screenshot of a post that can be successfully processed for importing: http://i.imgur.com/OPwwc.png The link marked with the red arrow should be a post permalink on your site (or a default or Jetpack wp.me shortlink) in order for the plugin to be able to resolve and map the Facebook post to your local post and import comments successfully.

• Laura

Hi @Vladislav

Thanks for the reply. So let me check if I understand:

a) If the comment is made on the website by using the facebook plugin post form , then the comment is displayed on the comment section and is is stored in the wordpress database.

b) If the comment is made on facebook (put of the website), then the comment is displayed on the comment section and is is stored in the wordpress database JUST if it has the post link.

I´m right?

Also, let me ask you, where in the database are this comments stored? I can´t see any of the comment on the wordpress admin panel under the comment section. There is no comment stored there. So where can I locate them in order to make a backup of all the comments just in case I decide to turn off the facebook comment system?

Thanks

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The b) part is entirely correct - the a) point, however, highly depends b) as well. Namely, the comments made on the website using Facebook comments interface are, in fact, on Facebook - they will, however, be synchronized with your local WP comments if the post they've been left on is published on Facebook with a proper link included.

All synchronized comments are stored in the regular WordPress comments table (wp_comments, by default). The Facebook comments, however, are stored on Facebook - you can moderate the comments for your App here: http://developers.facebook.com/tools/comments

• Laura

Vlad

Could you please point out what is going on? A user has made a comment on a post on the website (link) and the user has checked to post the comment to her facebook profile also.

The comment is appearing on the post comment section in the website and it is also on her facebook profile with the link back to the post included (see picture attached)

BUT, the comment is not imported to the wordpress database.

if I understood correctly, this comment fulfill all the conditions to be imported as it ha a link back to post and it can be mapped.

My import limit has been set to: 100

I have pressed the "import comments now" button

On the "Skip importing comments for these accounts", the facebook application used for this website is UNCHECKED (so it is not skipped)

Then what is wrong? Why there is no import?

Thanks

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

This comment does indeed seem to fulfill the conditions for import. I have made some improvements to this portion of the plugin, so could you please try the attached Beta release a shot and see if it helps? Also, if the first go on comments import doesn't help, can you please click the new "Refresh user access token" button in the "Permissions & tokens" section and then re-try importing the comments?

• Laura

Hi Vlad

I installed the new version and followed the setps. I posted a new comment that fulfill the recqueriments and press the import button. Nothhing is imported. I pressed the refresh user token button but it seems that never completes the action (the blue lines continue rotating) See picture attached.

I still cannot get the comment imported

UPDATE: The access token and extended permission now prompt an error from facebook and cannot connect.

Could you please tell what I need to do to delete all the settings of the plugin that remain in the wordpress database after the plugin is deleted? There are many settings that remain in the database.

Thanks

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hi There,

Just checking in and i see that we are still waiting for a response from our dev @Vladislav , This can take longer than normal as our devs have many threads to anwer, but i am tagging him again in case this thread has somehow dropped off his feed.

Cheers

Tom

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Can you please try the latest release (v2.6, just released) and see if it helps? If you're still experiencing issues with refreshing the Facebook user token, perhaps we're dealing with some sort of conflict. Can you please take a look in your javascript console (Ctrl+Shift+J in most browsers, F12 in IE) and see if there's anything logged there?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Laura,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.