Problems with Avatars Cropping function

Hey WPMU Team,

we have problems using the Avatars Plugin Crop function in our WPMU Installation. We run WP 3.3.2 and Avatars for Multisite 3.6.1.

We've tested with the following browsers on a Win7 Prof. x64 System:
FF 18.0.1 - Works but the crop selection doesn't react like you would expect. If you use one of the resize squares one the left, the crop selection flips over and is mirrored on the right side of the selection.

IE 9.0.8112 - Doesn't work at all if you try to move the selection around or use one of the resize squares the selection is being decreased to 1px and sits on the right center of the picture. In this you can't do anything about it.

Safari 5.1.7 - If you play around with the leftside resize squares you might end up in the same situation as using the IE9, with the selector being stuck on the right, 1px height & width.

Chrome 24.0.1312 - Shows the same behavior as FF18.

The Alternative Upload works with all Browsers. We get the same results on other machines.

Do you have any idea on this?

I'd be glad to setup a WP Account for you in our Installation so you can see for yourself.

Best regards
Julian

• Kimberly

Hello Julian!

Thanks for getting in touch!

I am curious if this issue has just arisen? Or have you just installed the Avatars plugin? Basically I am wondering if you had luck with an older version.

I get odd results as well using the default Upload Button but it works great with Alternative Upload.

My thoughts are, you should use the Alternative Upload for now, and I'll flag the developer to help us get some ideas on fixing that cropping issue.

Best,

Kimberly

• aecnu

Greetings Julian,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with Avatars on your relatively older then the hills WordPress installation.

All of our plugins are updated to run on the newest versions, not necessarily compatible with versions that are in this case two plus years old, no way to code for all the bugs fix's not done in your WordPress installation.

Please update to WordPress version 3.5.1 and let me know if the issue persists.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• webdev@amenotec.com

@Kimberley:

Hello Kimberley,

as far as I've heard from our customer, they had the same problem right from the beginning. We used the Avatars Version 3.5.8 till today, when I tried to fix the problem with an update. It would be really nice if you could get your developers involved to solve this issue.

Thank you

@Joe:

Hello Joe,

as written above the same issues were given with the Version of Avatars 3.5.8 which was the newest when WP 3.3.2 was up to date. (WP 3.3.2 was released on April 20th, 2012)
    We're in the planning for a big update round, as it's a customers site we can't just press the update button.
    Nonetheless Kimberley pointed out that she has the same problems and I don't think that she used WP 3.3.2. I'll gladly share my observation results once I find the time to setup a test WP 3.5.1 installation.

Cheers

• aecnu

Greetings webdev@amenotec.com,

Sorry for the delay here and I will indeed send a flag over to the lead developer @Vladislav for his input here - it appears that this ticket may have gotten away from him being eaten by the ticket system ... lol

I know the biggest challenge with this one is that both him and i have been unable to replicate the issue as indicated earlier - and I am wondering what conditions Kimberly was able to replicate it - the answer lies somewhere in between and I did not see her screen cast.

Thank you for your demonstrated patience.

Sincerely, Joe

• Vladislav

Hello,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to recreate the issue on my side and, weirdest yet, even on Kimberly's test install, which she used to recreate the issue, everything seemed to work fine for me. This makes it harder for me to track down what is causing the issue to happen. Just to be sure, can you please have a look at the javascript console (ctrl+shift+j in Firefox/Chrome, F12 in IE) and see if there are any errors there?

• aecnu

Just touching base with you to let you know that we have not forgotten about you nor the issue that you reported.

I will ping the lead developer @Vladislav again in case this ticket itself has managed to get away form him.

Thank you for your demonstrated patience as we try to address this issue that unfortunately none of us are able to replicate and Kimberly is no longer with WPMU DEV to offer assistance when as Vladislav mentioned we cannot replicate the issue even on her installation.

With this in mind and no other reports that I am aware of reporting this issue, it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict there and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.