Problems with configuring an Ecommerce template selling site

In order to matching my current project to be similar to the acclaimed Shopify website (an ecommerce site builder), I have installed many of your plugins yet stumbling upon what the correct configurations and settings should be, which plugins do I and don't need according to my project requirement, which plugins are the prerequisite to which or needed altogether in order to make them work as a complete system as mentioned above, and many more. As the scale of the site is rather complicated and large, I don't want to work everything out solely based upon my presumption without any confirmed answers from WPMUDEV developers because it may ruin the end product and cause too many site malfunctions and errors which then will be too late for the undo at the time.

Please give me a concise clarification according to the current project scenario below:

Network Configuration: Multisite
Main Site Name: MainSite.com
Template Demo Sites: demo-site.MainSite.com
Jobs & Experts Site: jobs.MainSite.com
Forum Site: forum.MainSite.com
Customer Site #1: customer-site1.MainSite.com -> Mapping To -> Customer-Site1.com
Customer Site #2: customer-site2.MainSite.com -> Mapping To -> Customer-Site2.com

Current Installed Plugins
- BuddyPress : Network Activated
- Pro Sites Network Activated
- New Blog Templates Network Activated
- Domain Mapping Network Activated
- Multi-Domains Network Activated
- Membership 2 Pro Network Activated / Per Site Activated / Main Site Activated????? And Do I need this plugin installed after all according to the site requirement?
- MarketPress eCommerce Per Site Activated -- As required by Jobs & Experts plugin, then I activated this plugin over Jobs.MainSite.com. Questions: Do I really need this as I already have WooCommerce network activated?
- Advanced Theme Switcher Network Activated
- WHMCS MU Provisioning Network Activated
- WHMCS WP Integration Do I need this one at all as I already have WHMPress and WP WHMCS Bridge installed?
- Pretty Plugins If I have "Pay to Blog" enabled over the Pro Sites, do I still need this one?
- Blogs Directory Network Activated
- Multi-DB According to my requirement, do I need this one or is it recommended?
- Affiliates Main Site Activated
- Snapshot Pro Main Site Activated
- Communities Do I need this one if I already have BuddyPress installed?
- Multisite Privacy Do I need this one according to my site requirement?
- Signup Code Network Activated / Main Site Activated?

SITE FLOW
A. Mandatory sequential process for *CUSTOMER*
a) Choose Template
b) Sign up + Choose sub-domain site/blog name + Signup Code
c) Confirm sign-up by email
d) Log-in to the site with the prompt of the chosen template awaiting
e) Given 14 days trial period to playing with the website creation
f) To launching the site, customer must choose to subscribe from our providing 3 plans: Silver, Gold, Platinum (either pay monthly or annually)
g) Customer is allowed to map their subdomain site, customer-site.MainSite.com, to their real domain name.
h) Customer is allowed to purchase any additional domain names and redirect them all to the main site.

Notes:
- Customer can perform any plan subscription during or after the trial period.
- Customer can create any sort of websites: social networking, forum, ecommerce, and etc. which will require to have their own set of DB and manipulate their data and users, for example, their customers or members.

B. Jobs & Experts Site for *CUSTOMERS* and *EXPERTS*
a) An existing customer who already subscribed on Number #1 above can post a job on the job board.
b) Experts must signup and submit their application through our system without being redirected to choosing the site template as it's meant for different purposes.

C. Forum Site for *EVERYONE*
a) Everyone can sign-up to join our forum.

EXISTING PROBLEMS:
1. All sign-up users from A, B, and C are forced to go to the Template page to choose the template which it is only meant for A but not B and C.
2. I don't quite get the whole picture and having a doubt over WP Multisite configuration + WPMUDEV plugin abilities to achieve everything mentioned above during the developing process, in order to host my customer's website like a standalone site with all the capabilities to do everything like their site are not under multisite networking, is it possible at all under the current circumstances?
3. Please do answer all the plugin questions above.

I would very much deeply appreciate who answers this long thread of mine. Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,
Cas

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cas,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Let me try to cover all the topics mentioned here, I must admit though that what you wish to achieve is a really complex setup and I'm pretty sure it'll take much more than a single "question-replay" thread.

In my opinion all this should be doable but I cant see a way to get it all working "at once". My point is, that in case of such a complex setups the development workflow is usually like this:

1. Break down full project to as much details (small sub-projects) as possible
    2. Get them to work one-by-one to build a bigger ecosystem.

That being said, I'll go through your question below, however I'd like to ask you on what stage you're at the moment with your setup? Wouldn't it be better to get back a bit and start "step-by-step"? That's just a loose thought of mine :slight_smile:

Network Configuration: Multisite
    Main Site Name: MainSite.com
    Template Demo Sites: demo-site.MainSite.com
    Jobs & Experts Site: jobs.MainSite.com
    Forum Site: forum.MainSite.com
    Customer Site #1: customer-site1.MainSite.com -> Mapping To -> Customer-Site1.com
    Customer Site #2: customer-site2.MainSite.com -> Mapping To -> Customer-Site2.com

That's absolutely reasonable and doable. You'd need
    - a standard WP Multisite setup
    - a plugin for demoing themes (our Advanced Theme Switcher will do just fine)
    - our Jobs & Expert plugin
    - for simple forum our Forum plugin but in case of your setup bbPress might be a better solution
    - our Domain Mapping plugin
    - optional Pro Sites plugin if you wish to offer some features as "premium"

As far as I understand you've already setup those plugins.

- Membership 2 Pro Network Activated / Per Site Activated / Main Site Activated????? And Do I need this plugin installed after all according to the site requirement?

It wouldn't be necessary for the above described setup but taking into account the workflow you've explained later, I think you need it. If I understand correctly, the "per site" setup would be better here as it will

- let you set separate rules for your sub-sites (e.g. allow everyone access forums)
    - let some of your sub-sites owners/admins create their own memberships

- MarketPress eCommerce Per Site Activated -- As required by Jobs & Experts plugin, then I activated this plugin over Jobs.MainSite.com. Questions: Do I really need this as I already have WooCommerce network activated?

If you wish to charge for posting at Jobs & Experts pages you definitely need MarketPress eCommerce. There's no add-on to integrate Jobs & Expert with WooCommerce at the moment.
    Please note though that our MarketPress eCommerce is a full-featured e-store tool, so perhaps you could think of using it as an 'ultimate e-commerce solution' here? :slight_smile:

- WHMCS WP Integration Do I need this one at all as I already have WHMPress and WP WHMCS Bridge installed?

This might be a little too many at once, however I'm not quite sure what do you need these plugins for. As for purely e-Commerce solution (I'm referring to a Shopify example here) these won't be necessary in my opinion. These are designed to help you run your hosting (especially WordPress site hosting) business. If I'm missing something here, please clarify!

- Pretty Plugins If I have "Pay to Blog" enabled over the Pro Sites, do I still need this one?

Pretty Plugins plugin and "Pay to Blog" feature of Pro Sites plugin are two separate things: the first one allows you to "The pretty way to list, sort, manage and even sell plugins on your multisite network." (the latter feature partially covers Pro Sites' built-in feature). The second one is just a tool that prevents users who singed up for their own sites from actually running their own sites until they make an initial payment. May opinion on this would be then: you don't need Pretty Plugins unless you want to display a plugin list in a... "pretty way" :slight_smile:

- Multi-DB According to my requirement, do I need this one or is it recommended?

It depends on how many sites are in your network. If there are tens of thousands of sub-sites then you definitely need in. However I wouldn't start with it. A few hundreds of sites should run just fine on any reasonable server and on a good, dedicated server (cloud possibly) a few thousands should also work. Then you can always switch to Multi-DB. Implementing it from the very beginning may complicate the entire setup process, not to mention troubleshooting of potential issues.

- Communities Do I need this one if I already have BuddyPress installed?

My answer would be: no, you don't need it if you're using BuddyPress.

- Multisite Privacy Do I need this one according to my site requirement?

Assuming you're using Membership 2 Pro plugin "per site" activated, I think you don't need it as all the sub-sites' owners will be able to control access to their sites with Membership 2 Pro protection rules.

SITE FLOW...

This is described quite clearly, however giving a "step-by-step" description on how to set it all up would be extremely difficult here. Could I suggest (again) breaking it all to a smaller tasks and going through that just step-by-step in separate threads (possibly also one-by-one instead of all at once)?

As I'm not aware on what stage with your setup you're at the moment and all the setup is extremely complex, that way we could provide much faster and better support.

1. All sign-up users from A, B, and C are forced to go to the Template page to choose the template which it is only meant for A but not B and C.

I'm pretty sure that's because there's a Pro Sites plugin active that assumes that the user is registering in a network because he/she wants to create a site. Please check if you have:

- enabled the "Allow Free Signup" option on "Pro Sites" -> "Settings" -> "General" page
    - enabled "Bot sites and user accounts can be registered" on "Network admin" -> "Settings" -> "Network Settings" page
    - (optional step) enabled "Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the "Users -> Add new" page" on the same Network Settings page

2. I don't quite get the whole picture and having a doubt over WP Multisite configuration + WPMUDEV plugin abilities to achieve everything mentioned above during the developing process, in order to host my customer's website like a standalone site with all the capabilities to do everything like their site are not under multisite networking, is it possible at all under the current circumstances?

I must admit I'm a bit confused here. I can think of two possible scenarios different than the one you've described:

1. Setup a (bunch of) separate "reference" sites + one simple e-commerce site that would allow users to "buy" a site of their choice and then just deploy them to a server under their domain;

That would surely do the trick but
    - you'd need a system such as InfiniteWP or ManageWP to manage these sites
    - it will be an enormous amount of work once your customer base grows big

2. Setup a Multisite network and use a New Blog Templates plugin to create "reference" sub-sites and then let users select an "entire site" template (e.g. including e-store and/or forum, etc) instead of "manually" configuring everything.

None of these scenarios however will let your users "feel like it was their separately hosted site, being the part of a network at once". I know this may sound a bit confusing but Multisite gives you a great control over the sub-sites (therefore your customers's sites) over your network.

I think the compromise between "self-hosted feeling" and a "part of a network feeling" has to be found here.

3. Please do answer all the plugin questions above.

I hope I did but in case I missed something or you feel something isn't clear enough, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to assist!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Code Injector

Thank you for your reply and help on this thread and the other, I will answer here for both threads.

The setup has already been over 85% completed so far, struggling at the Jobs & Experts subsite at the moment as I'd never realised and thought about the critical sign-up process problem because only the sign-up process for *CUSTOMER* who subscribes to creating their site was tested during the first stage of the development and the result was slick. This is absolutely terrified me because the sign-up process is the key gateway leading to the rest of the site plus thousands of hours already been invested into this project. Fortunately enough that this isn't just a conceptual site to start with as it's nearly close to the test launching stage. It may require some workarounds to get everything into places but I believe it 's doable (thanks for your agreeable statement) as far as seeing the site at this minute.

1. Break down full project to as much details (small sub-projects) as possible
    2. Get them to work one-by-one to build a bigger ecosystem.

Been doing what you suggested, more project details for each particular plugin I put each of them on a separate thread like what I did in the past.

I'd like to ask you on what stage you're at the moment with your setup? Wouldn't it be better to get back a bit and start "step-by-step"?

The major setups and settings for both subsites and plugins have been done -- 85% completed as mentioned upon the full requirement which took approx. 5 months, only the detailed settings have been left to explore (for example payment gateway) and putting the final touch during the testing stage with the live data before its beta launch.

This might be a little too many at once, however I'm not quite sure what do you need these plugins for. As for purely e-Commerce solution (I'm referring to a Shopify example here) these won't be necessary in my opinion. These are designed to help you run your hosting (especially WordPress site hosting) business. If I'm missing something here, please clarify!

Basically I need WHMCS for the domain managment: purchase, renew, transfer and etc., based from Shopify site for example, they are a complete solution for an ecommerce site builder which provides everything at a professional seamlessly level. Yet Shopify company has hundred of staffs and engineers are coding in-house and handle all bits and bobs modules with no problem, in comparison of their business scale to ours, I cannot think of any other solution without asking help from the third party in order to make it run as the full-fledged site builder like theirs.

It depends on how many sites are in your network. If there are tens of thousands of sub-sites then you definitely need in. However I wouldn't start with it. A few hundreds of sites should run just fine on any reasonable server and on a good, dedicated server (cloud possibly) a few thousands should also work. Then you can always switch to Multi-DB. Implementing it from the very beginning may complicate the entire setup process, not to mention troubleshooting of potential issues.

That was a relief of hearing that a single DB yet not needing help from plugin and can handle upto thousands of sites. The site will be on a reseller hosting, is it suitable at all? Any recommendation because I need a host which provides WHMCS?

I'm pretty sure that's because there's a Pro Sites plugin active that assumes that the user is registering in a network because he/she wants to create a site. Please check if you have:
    - enabled the "Allow Free Signup" option on "Pro Sites" -> "Settings" -> "General" page
    - enabled "Bot sites and user accounts can be registered" on "Network admin" -> "Settings" -> "Network Settings" page
    - (optional step) enabled "Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the "Users -> Add new" page" on the same Network Settings page

According to my requirement on my other thread referred above, I have the settings as follow:
    - disabled the "Allow Free Signup" -> as I want all the users, customers, must signup and choose their site/blog name. They can't signup without choosing the template and leaving the blog name blank.
    - enabled "Both sites and user accounts can be registered" -> This was set enabled since started working on the project.
    Still I cannot overcome the critical signup problem, please advice on something else.

I must admit I'm a bit confused here. I can think of two possible scenarios different than the one you've described:

1. Setup a (bunch of) separate "reference" sites + one simple e-commerce site that would allow users to "buy" a site of their choice and then just deploy them to a server under their domain;

That would surely do the trick but
    - you'd need a system such as InfiniteWP or ManageWP to manage these sites
    - it will be an enormous amount of work once your customer base grows big

2. Setup a Multisite network and use a New Blog Templates plugin to create "reference" sub-sites and then let users select an "entire site" template (e.g. including e-store and/or forum, etc) instead of "manually" configuring everything.

None of these scenarios however will let your users "feel like it was their separately hosted site, being the part of a network at once". I know this may sound a bit confusing but Multisite gives you a great control over the sub-sites (therefore your customers's sites) over your network.

The project has always been on the No.#2 route and already been configured, I get things sorted one by one like you said. Now I'm on the edge of a signup problem as all the subsites subscribers are forced to choose the template at the signup stage. What I try to do from this stage is, I will go back and activate "Membership 2 Pro" on "Per Site" basis, from my current issue will activate this plugin on "Jobs.MainSite.com" and see whether it could sort this problem and will let you know. Anyway after reading my answers, I'm looking forward to your feedback and thanks a million for your help.

Cas

• Code Injector

Activated "Membership 2 Pro" on "Jobs. MainSite.com", it didn't turn out as you said + I expected. The "Sign-Up" button's URL has been changed from "MainSite.com/register" to "Jobs.MainSite.com/register" << Good Sign by the way but instead of giving me the detailed registration page to fill out the form, it redirected me to "404 Not Found Page" with some non-existent strange URL. What do I miss here? Please advice as it's very close to the deadline.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Cas,

I hope you're well today. I apologize for the delay on my side, I was a bit loaded with some complex stuff and, unfortunately, working a little less time than I should due to some health issues. However, I'm back on tracks and I hope will go through this all in no-time - I won't keep you waiting any longer. I

That was a relief of hearing that a single DB yet not needing help from plugin and can handle upto thousands of sites. The site will be on a reseller hosting, is it suitable at all? Any recommendation because I need a host which provides WHMCS?

I'm not in a position for recommending any particular hosting company, however I think this article on our blog may be of help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/web-hosting-review-so-just-who-is-the-best/

I think you should also pay attention to this factors:
    - monthly transfer (the bigger the better)
    - bandwidth limits (if specified and if any)
    - max CPU usage allowed
    - max RAM available and max RAM usage allowed
    - db queries/sec and total db queries limit

The last three parameters are rarely given with hosting plan description so usually you want to read "fine print" (terms and conditions) or just ask sales rep.

According to my requirement on my other thread referred above, I have the settings as follow:
    - disabled the "Allow Free Signup" -> as I want all the users, customers, must signup and choose their site/blog name. They can't signup without choosing the template and leaving the blog name blank.
    - enabled "Both sites and user accounts can be registered" -> This was set enabled since started working on the project.
    Still I cannot overcome the critical signup problem, please advice on something else.

I played again with my test setup and I think the closes solution here would be set it all up as follows:

1. Keep "Allow free signup" disabled to force all your users that want a site to select a template
    2. Disable the "Signup on Checkout" on "Pro Sites" -> "Settings" -> "General" page: this will change a "registration flow a bit" but will give an option to select if a user wants to go for a site of his own (then will be taken to template and pro sites level selection) or just wants to register username without a site (e.g. to access forum).

Activated "Membership 2 Pro" on "Jobs. MainSite.com", it didn't turn out as you said + I expected. The "Sign-Up" button's URL has been changed from "MainSite.com/register" to "Jobs.MainSite.com/register" << Good Sign by the way but instead of giving me the detailed registration page to fill out the form, it redirected me to "404 Not Found Page" with some non-existent strange URL. What do I miss here? Please advice as it's very close to the deadline.

I understand although surprised. That said, could you please take a look at the previous step (above) first? It would be great if we could first sort out that "user registration" issue and once this is up and running fine jump to the next step.

I'm absolutely "on my feet" so you won't have to wait that long for my replays, that's for sure. Once again I apologize for the delay!

Kind regards and thanks for your patience!
    Adam

• Code Injector

Thanks for being back and contributing your time solving this issue. During the wait for the past 3-4 days, I've found out from WPMUDEV Q&A and the outside that the subsite registration redirecting to the main site page under network configuration is an unevitable issue everyone must be facing with due to the behaviour of WP Multisite which usually got ignored by developers because of its complication and nature of their business didn't require upto this complex.

1. Keep "Allow free signup" disabled to force all your users that want a site to select a template
    2. Disable the "Signup on Checkout" on "Pro Sites" -> "Settings" -> "General" page: this will change a "registration flow a bit" but will give an option to select if a user wants to go for a site of his own (then will be taken to template and pro sites level selection) or just wants to register username without a site (e.g. to access forum).

According to your recommendation above, I've already set No.1 and No.2 as recommended since the beginning of the project, then there's no change to be applied. I don't want to use any other third party membership plugin to sort out this problem as I believe in using the whole set of your products will work well together. Please try helping me sort out the "Membership 2 Pro" configuration step-by-step, what seems to be the problem?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Cas!

I would love to allow you in but unfortunately the site is still under development at the localhost. I don't mind screencap each section for the part that you will want to see if that's okay with you.

This is mostly unfortunate as your setup is very complex and there's too many factors to be taken into account for me to be able to fully reproduce it on my test site. I'll gladly assist you but I'm afraid that a simple screencap from my own sandbox wouldn't do the job as it will not bring much more to the case than my tips here.

I realize this may slow things a bit again but would it be possible then that you setup an exact copy of your current setup (the procedure would be exactly the same as deploying/copying your dev to a live server) as a kind-of staging site that I could gain access to?

I think you could even use on of the trial hosting packages that hosting companies usually offer and also protect the site with .htaccess so it wouldn't be accessible for anyone (then you would just share the access credentials with me). This would really help and it would allow me to work in an environment we're referring to all the time :slight_smile:

Would it be possible? Let me know please!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Code Injector

Sorry for a very late reply as I'd been working on some crucial parts of the site, then couldn't proceed to solve the issue above because couldn't let the DB in a messed up state with my trials and errors caused by the Membership 2 Pro and other relating plugin enabling / testing. At the moment, the site is ready for live test data and local test run for registration on different subsites. The existing obvious problems have still been left to resolve before the test lauch are:

1. Every user login, except for the site admin, are redirected to the front homepage. I believe this is because of the unresolved issue above.
    2. Registration on all subsites are redirected to the Main Site front page.
    3. On my demo sites (subsite in disguise) - Network admin >> Sites >> Manage --- I have to assign "Permament" status on all demo site instead of having the Pro Site status totally removed, otherwise I wouldn't be able to edit / update / save the site customisation. If you're getting confused, I'll elaborate further after the No.1 & No.2 get resolved.
    4. Pro Sites plugin - Every new updates kill my entire custom CSS style.
    5. Domain Mapping - Tested a few times locally with local environment configuration but didn't seem to work but I'm going to leave this one almost the last thing on the list to check.
    6. ...

My current understanding on WP logic and requirement:
    I want each site to behave just like they are a standalone site with the ability of having their own users and such regardless of the fact that all users are kept under the same roof (1 big DB = different subsites + main site) but having an indicator / role to distinguish which site they belong to and able to access according to their role.

Ability to allow / block different plugins per site basis or hide the plugin page entirely according to their Pro Site upgrade plan they are on.

Ability to hide Appearance --> Template page entirely from some users.

I will start from getting No.1 and No.2 sorted first. By the way the site content + DB are pretty huge to put unfinished site on the real host for now but it will very soon, hopefully within a few days, be uploaded but only after the registration and other minor issues have been sorted. Please bear with me and thank you in advance for your support and dedication. Let's start with Membership 2 Pro...

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Cas!

I was unexpectedly off for a moment after our life chat lately, I'm sorry for this. I've re-read entire topic, hopefully getting back the full picture here.

I need however to make sure as we have two different "workflows" included.

1. Every user login, except for the site admin, are redirected to the front homepage. I believe this is because of the unresolved issue above.

Once the user login he/she is being thrown right to the main site's dasbhoard, am I correct? Regardless whether she/he is a main site's or sub-site's user or admin?

2. Registration on all subsites are redirected to the Main Site front page.

In case of Pro Sites registration, this is good because your main site is a "host" (or "hub") site and through it you're offering your services. However, I assume that you're referring here to the user registration. So, for example:

- a user that simply wants to get access to the sub-site (no-membership)
    - a user that wants to sign-up for a membership on sub-site

they are all redirected to the homepage of your main site. This redirection is performed when they try to access registration form or once they submit it?

The Membership 2 plugin is still enabled on a particular sub-site only?

I apologize for asking but the thread is quite a complicated and it's been some time since we were working on this last time. Please advise!

Thanks,
    Adam

• Code Injector

Hi Adam!

Once the user login he/she is being thrown right to the main site's dashboard, am I correct? Regardless whether she/he is a main site's or sub-site's user or admin?

That issue is non-existence so far. I guess it was caused by some previously wrong setting over the Network Admin but counts as sorted for now.

The Membership 2 plugin is still enabled on a particular sub-site only?

Problem with all sub-sites registration / signup bring them all to the "Template Collection" page which belongs to the main site (this was set by New Blog Templates plugin.). I have tested all sub-sites and the main site WITHOUT having Membership 2 Pro activated. The result are as follows:

MAIN SITE
    No problem with the main site so far because it's a hub like you said.

FORUM SITE (sub-site)
    Domain: Forum.MainSite.com
    Theme: The theme used on this site differs from the main site and NOT using any of the WPMUDEV plugins or any other 3rd party Membership plugins.
    Registration / Signup: Register new user on spot without any redirection problem to the main site (Template Collection page), went smooth and well.
    MainSite User Dashboard: User's marked as belong to forum.mainsite.com like it's supposed to.
    Problem: The user register on the Forum must have access to the Forum.MainSite.com ONLY, but turns out the user created from the Forum can universally access to all sub-sites Eg. Can login as a returning customer on the WooCommerce checkout page on other sub-sites.

JOBS & EXPERTS SITE (sub-site)
    Domain: Jobs.MainSite.com
    Theme: Sharing the same theme as the main site + WPMUDEV Jobs & Experts plugin activated + MarketPress activated
    Registration / Signup: The problem occurs on this site. New user signup is redirected to the Template Collection page (MainSite) which the flow is wrong. The new registration should act the same way as users register on the Forum Site without any redirection or any other plugin installed.
    MainSite User Dashboard: [No user found = Cannot successfully register on the Jobs site as it forces Jobs users to select the template on the main site.]
    Problem: 1. Registration problem as described above. 2. Any user account from other sub-sites can login freely to this site which is also a wrong purpose.

DEMO SITES (sub-sites)
    Domain: Demo1.MainSite.com
    Theme: Separate theme from those three sites above.
    Registration / Signup: Tested with the new signup on product checkout only, went well without any redirection. Still haven't tested with BuddyPress or bbPress installed.
    MainSite User Dashboard: User's marked as belong to demo1.mainsite.com like it's supposed to.
    Problem: All users from other sub-sites can register as a returning customer at the checkout.

I'm very glad seeing you back to this thread as I heard from your peer that you're not quite well as am I. Hope you will get fully recovered soon. In case you would become unavailable again shortly especially during these 1-5 days which I will desperately require a swift response from the support team (I am duly noted for being in a queue to get helped.), please escalate this thread to someone else. Hope these are not too overwhelming to comprehend and digest. Thank you for looking after my issues though.

• Code Injector

In regard to the Jobs & Experts redirection problem - Jobs.MainSite.com, please see attached on the registration page with Jobs & Pros plugin installed and activated on this sub-site. The URL when clicking "Create Account" to signup is set to "http://MainSite.com/register", which it should supposed to be "http://Jobs.MainSite.com/register" instead of the former one. My wild guess is somewhere in your plugin is set to send user to the site root (MainSite.com) not the sub-site (Jobs.MainSite.com) because this seems to happening with the WPMUDEV plugin activated but not with the other site running without it. Anyway please advice.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cas!

Thank you for this extensive feedback, it makes things much more clear.

Forum Site

The simple solution to this should be our Multisite Privacy plugin which allows you to limit user access only to the site she/he registered for. This setting may be overwritten on site basis so you may set "Allow all visitors to all sites" (on "Network Admin" -> "Settings" -> "Network Settings" page) by default and then only on this sub-site set access limit to "Only registered users of this blog can have acces" on its "Settings -> Reading" page.

This way the entire workflow shouldn't break, except that "forum site" users would be able to access only this site.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/sitewide-privacy-options-for-wordpress-mu/

Jobs & Experts site

As for access limit. The same solution as for "forum site" should work here - Multisite Privacy plugin. Actually, this should also work for limiting access in case of the third sub-site: "Demo Site".

Redirections

Regarding both "Jobs" and "Demo" site: could you please check these two things and let me know:

1. what's the actual URL of registration page for Membership 2 (wherever it's activated)
    2. is there the "define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );" anywhere in your wp-config.php file?

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Code Injector

Hi Adam,

This section is about an update on my issue posted 5-6 days ago before your reply yesterday, the problem with the Jobs.MainSite.com is redirected to the "Template Collection" page is no longer existing since the latest updates on Pro Sites and New Blog Templates plugins which is, in fact, adding another bad news and override my old issue. Let me elaborate further here.

OLD ISSUE
    Because of this option I select on New Blog Templates settings has been checked/enabled: "Selecting this option will allow your new users to choose between templates when they sign up for a site." (Network Activated -- Control and settings is at Network Admin dashboard), this will force all the users to choose template on their signup (pls. see attached for screenshot). In other word I believe this probably was the reason why every new user signup on the main site including with sub-sites was redirected to the "Template Collection page" on their signup. Forcing user to signup and MUST select any template before being brought to the registration page (in order for the plugin to remember the blog_id) is a perfect flow only for the MainSite.com but not the others.

CURRENT ISSUE
    As of now, since the update on the Pro Sites and New Blog Templates causing more compound issues,
    MainSite.com: Instead of bringing MainSite.com's users only to the Template Collection page, now on their signup bring user to the Pricing Box + Registration Page without remembering blog_id.

Test#1 : At the Template Collection PAGE >> Template Selected >> Pricing Box + Registration Page --> Registration went well but didn't at all remember the blog_id (user is greeted by Twenty Fifteen default theme after their login.)

Test#2 : Click the signup link (found on some other areas of the MainSite.com) >> After clicking brought to Pricing Box + Registration Page --> Signup successfully but this flow is wrong as user's staying on the MainSite, on every signup link must forced user to visit Template Collection page before bringing them to the registration page. Turned out on this test, plugin bypass the mandatory Template Collection page.

Forum.MainSite.com

Test#3 : Click on "CREATE ACCOUNT" >> Redirected to MainSite.com -- Pricing Box + Registration Page. My previous concern was after clicking create account, users are redirected to Template Collection Page but now again the new default page seems to be set to Pricing Box + Registration Page instead.

THE CORRECT FLOW
    MainSite.com : Every new link signup will always force user to go to "Template Collection page", and then follows by Pricing Box + Registration Page respectively.

Forum.MainSite.com : New signup and signin on spot, Forum.MainSitecom, without redirecting user to the MainSite.com.

I'll respond to your earlier reply after a few tests later on today.

• Code Injector

Referring to your latest solution posted days ago, the test result and reply are below:

I have Network Activated "Multisite Privacy" plugin and followed every steps of your instruction setting including with playing around with the setting over the network and on each sub-site itself in order to make them work as wanted:

Only registered users of this blog can have acces" on its "Settings -> Reading" page.

FORUM SITE
    Enabled that setting, causing ZERO TO NO access to the forum site for all users especially the guests unless providing username and password to gain access to the site forum. Issue Solved >> FAILED
    The forum site is perfect at the moment except using the username and password registered on this forum site to login on the demo sites is the only problem, I just want to restrict any non-native username and password usage across the network. Your suggestion totally stopped every users to access this forum site.

NOTE on Multisite Privacy plugin: It doesn't save my new/updated settings over the Network Admin dashboard. I had to delete the whole database in order to get rid of this malfunctioned plugin, otherwise on every new attempts to visit or perform new activity, it will pop "Applying to sites, please wait..." for an indefinite loop without any ability to go anywhere or do anything. I would recommend any professional figure who takes their business's image into account seriously should avoid this plugin at all cost especially when you haven't got much time to investigating the code. By the way, I've always cleared the cookies and no cache plugin is installed.

Jobs & Experts site
    As for access limit. The same solution as for "forum site" should work here - Multisite Privacy plugin. Actually, this should also work for limiting access in case of the third sub-site: "Demo Site".

JOBS & EXPERTS SITE
    Again, your suggestion above has failed in order to achieving the global sign-in problem over the network site.

Redirections
    Regarding both "Jobs" and "Demo" site: could you please check these two things and let me know:
    1. what's the actual URL of registration page for Membership 2 (wherever it's activated)
    2. is there the "define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );" anywhere in your wp-config.php file?

#1. Membership 2 Pro IS NOT ACTIVATED AT ALL in any site and over the network. Please thoroughly read my thread. Because I think the Forum site has no problem for registration redirection, then I think all the other sites should run the same without the plugin. At the moment, the actual URL registration on Job site is "MainSite.com/register", it's supposed to be "JOBS.MainSite.com/REGISTER".

#2 define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true ); << Not found anywhere in my wp-config.php.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cas!

The fail of Multisite Privacy (plugin breaking the site) surprised me a lot, I must admit. I apologize also that it has caused some troubles. It seemed like a good solution though at first.

Also, thank you for all the further explanation.

As for restricting access to the sites.

The issue here is that by default WP throws all the registrations into a single db table that's common for all the sub-sites. This means no distinction between users of particular sub-sites.

That said, there are two other plugins worth your attention but I'm thinking it would be best if you could first take a look at descriptions and decide whether any of this seem to do what you need.

The first one is "Join My Multisite":
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

It allows you to change the way the registration works. For example: with registration disabled on a network level (via "Network Admin -> Settings") you can create a separate registration for each sub-site and users shouldn't "mix", although a user registered for one sub-site should be able to simply "Join" another one with a click of the button (no need to register again). Users therefore shouldn't be redirected to main registration and should only have access to the sub-sites they signed up for.

The second one is a "Multisite User Management":
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

This is a tool to assign default user roles for sub-sites, so it may not be exactly what you need but on the other hand - it may be a good addition to the aforementioned one.

I do realize that I'm only throwing a suggestion here but since the workflow you're aiming for is really clean and logical, it's not a typical WP workflow and it may be necessary to just try a few solution to find out what works best for you.

As for New Blog Templates + Pro Sites issue

I think I'd need some help here so I've forwarded this to our 2nd line support and hopefully they'll lend us a hand here.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Code Injector

Hi Adam,

I tried using those 2 aforementioned plugins prior to your post solution: Join My Multisite and Multisite User Management, the former one didn't seem to work the way I want it since after the registration on the sub-site, the test user was tagged and belong to the main site instead of the sub-site and the former one didn't quite perform the task what I've been wanting to achieving.

I am currently test using Membership 2 Pro plugin on another sub-site now in order to apply the same settings and everything else on Jobs.MainSite.com, it was successfully working as I wanted it but needed some luck. The 1st attempt to register, Registration, directed me to "Protected Content" page, I could be able to see the Registration page on my 4-5th attempts by repeating the same steps over and over with a new DB. It's very strange.

After the test site was well configured and tested, I applied and followed the whole steps from this test site on Jobs.MainSite.com, the same old problem's occuring with the Jobs.MainSite.com. It wouldn't let me see the Registration page, this is the error I found:

Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in C:\path-to\wp-includes\functions.php on line 3622

Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use
    __construct()
    instead. in C:\path-to\wp-includes\functions.php on line 3457

If you need to pass this thread to the 2nd line support, please have someone contact me ASAP as I'm already on the edge of being fined and get another severe penalties according to our contract because it's passed the deadline.

• Code Injector

Dear Adam,

I've found the bug which prevented me from registering new user on the Jobs.MainSite.com hidden in the db wherever Membership 2 Pro plugin activated or used to be active on the site.

SYMPTOM
    Whenever I click "REGISTER" after activated M2P on subsite, it will redirect me to Jobs.MainSite.com/privacy-policy ---> Not Found 404.

SOLUTION
    I have deleted 2 rows which contains "privacy-policy" as their post_type="nav_menu_item" which I have no idea where / how they come from. Then it works like a magic, registration problem is sorted!!! But one more concern, the thing I deleted was it important or might be referenced in the future, please confirm. If not important, I'll mark this thread as resolved.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cas!

I admit that the issue and a solution surprised me a lot. I'm glad though that you've managed to fix it. I apologize again that it took so much time and that I wasn't of more help to you!

Thank you also for your very kind words, I really appreciate this.

In case you had any other issue, please start a thread and either me or one of my colleagues we will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.