Problems with FileZilla, CPanel and themes installation

Hi! I have some questions regarding FTP clients, CPanel, themes and plugins installation. I'm just posting all of them here for convenience reasons and also because they are, in some way, related:
1)While trying to install FrameMarket I faced lots of transference problems following the installation instructions provided by WPMU DEV here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/installation/
I created a new topic in the forums, reporting my issue (link to the topic: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cant-install-framemarket#post-187706) and a guy told me "Please do NOT install using the instructions. Ignore them. Forget FileZilla.". Now, my obvious question is: If the installation instructions provided by WPMU DEV are wrong, why these instructions are there?

2)I've already installed WPMU DEV plugins following the instructions provided by the site itself and didn't have any problem. About FrameMarket, that was the first time I installed a WPMU DEV theme and I imagine that the installation instructions are basically the same to all themes here. Does the fact that the FrameMarket instructions are wrong mean that the installation instructions to all other themes from WPMU DEV are also wrong?

3)Why am I seeing the BuddyPress Default theme as one of the themes options of my site if I didn't activate this theme to my network?

4)What's the difference between using CPanel to manage my files and use a FTP client (I use FileZilla) to do the same?

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings Wheel of Commerce,

I am sorry to hear that you were having so much trouble and I am going to address each and every one of your concerns below:

1)While trying to install FrameMarket I faced lots of transference problems following the installation instructions provided by WPMU DEV here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/installation/
    I created a new topic in the forums, reporting my issue (link to the topic: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cant-install-framemarket#post-187706) and a guy told me "Please do NOT install using the instructions. Ignore them. Forget FileZilla.". Now, my obvious question is: If the installation instructions provided by WPMU DEV are wrong, why these instructions are there?

I have re-examined that particular ticket and the statement that a guy told me "Please do NOT install using the instructions. Ignore them. Forget FileZilla."

The guy was another member and not part of the WPMU Dev Staff, which I was involved with that ticket directly but neither my instructions (which I am a Staff member) were being followed nor the instructions of "the Guy"

The instructions are not wrong on the Frame Market instructions page and take note of your tickets chosen topic https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cant-install-framemarket#post-187706 - you were having trouble with Frame Market/Grid Market yet the plugin chosen is clearly Market Press and this is probably why the member told you the instructions were wrong - because they clicked on instructions on that ticket and seen that they were wrong - and of course they were - they were for Market Press.

Title of the ticket --> Can't install Frame Market
    Plugin chosen --> Market Press

2)I've already installed WPMU DEV plugins following the instructions provided by the site itself and didn't have any problem. About FrameMarket, that was the first time I installed a WPMU DEV theme and I imagine that the installation instructions are basically the same to all themes here. Does the fact that the FrameMarket instructions are wrong mean that the installation instructions to all other themes from WPMU DEV are also wrong?

I have already addressed the issue earlier that the instruction for Frame Market were/are not wrong.
    "The guy" was probably looking at the Market Press instructions because that is what is shown in that ticket and he probably just clicked instructions on the ticket and totally missed the fact he was looking at the wrong instructions.

3)Why am I seeing the BuddyPress Default theme as one of the themes options of my site if I didn't activate this theme to my network?

Are you logged in as super admin or network admin to be more accurate? If so this is why you see the option to use this theme - network admin sees all even on child sites if viewing them as network admin or logged in using the network admin credentials.

4)What's the difference between using CPanel to manage my files and use a FTP client (I use FileZilla) to do the same?

Not all FTP programs are the same or there would only be one. Personally i use an FTP client like Core and I also have Leech FTP too - though I am a Firefox fan - I do not use Filezilla and there are big differences between these FTP programs in themselves.

I cannot comment on using CPanel for managing files because I never use a control panel of any kind to manage files - occassionally I use them for directory permissions adding passwords to directories I want password protected, but that is about it for hosting control panel file management for me.

I hope this clarifies things for you and thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

We are here to help.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi! Thanks for answering!

1)About the instructions regarding themes installation, in fact I did everything that is written in the WPMU DEV instructions for the installation of FrameMarket and it didn't work. However I recognize that probably I was doing something wrong without knowing it -if the instructions are wrong, of course that everyone would complain. Even considering that I installed the FrameMarket and GridMarket themes successfully by doing what Rozani said, I wantes to know what is wrong with what I did -could it be a problem with FileZilla? If yes, it's very weird, cause, as I said, I already installed WPMU DEV plugins and everything worked fine.

2)After the problems I had, I'm thinking: does FileZilla work fine? I was using it exactly because people recomend it as a good FTP client, but I'm thinking, having in mind everything that happened about this FrameMarket issue, if it is really a good FTP client.

Thanks! Indeed this post isn't about a specific problem that I couldn't solve; as you know, thanks to you guys at the forums, the problems I was facing with FrameMarket are already solved. I just opened this new topic to clarify some of my doubts.

• aecnu

Greetings Wheel of Commerce,

1)About the instructions regarding themes installation, in fact I did everything that is written in the WPMU DEV instructions for the installation of FrameMarket and it didn't work. However I recognize that probably I was doing something wrong without knowing it -if the instructions are wrong, of course that everyone would complain. Even considering that I installed the FrameMarket and GridMarket themes successfully by doing what Rozani said, I wantes to know what is wrong with what I did -could it be a problem with FileZilla? If yes, it's very weird, cause, as I said, I already installed WPMU DEV plugins and everything worked fine.

Well at this point there is no way to see what was wrong since you did in the end get it resolved. If I had access to look when it was still broken I would be able to tell you, but that is not the case anymore.

2)After the problems I had, I'm thinking: does FileZilla work fine? I was using it exactly because people recomend it as a good FTP client, but I'm thinking, having in mind everything that happened about this FrameMarket issue, if it is really a good FTP client.

The question about FileZilla I cannot answer due to the fact is that it could be a great piece of FTP software but you were using it the wrong way or possibly the very opposite. Also we do not know what directory structure you were looking at and how you were interpreting that very structure looking through FileZilla.

In summary, it is now all in the past and we cannot see back to the time when you were having trouble with your site and what you were doing or not doing for it not to work.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.