Problems with installation

Hi, The instructions for the Languages and Select Language at Sign-up need clarification.. . and possibly a simpler process. I have attempted this multiple times . . .

1. Languages – the whole create a new folder that includes only the .mo files and then upload this new folder to wp-content; question, does the rest of the folder get used in the process? What is the _MACOSX folder used for? Why not provide the .po files in a separate folder to begin with?

2. I finally have the General Settings including the default language option. However, drop-down combo box on Sign-up, only has the primary languages and not the sub-languages for selection. In other words, a language will be represented multiple times in the list.

3. I selected a singularly listed language to see how it behaved and nothing was different. What exactly is translated with the plugin?

4. I read through the forum a suggestion for another plugin for translating the admin dashboard; how would installing and activating the dashboard language plugin impact your plugin? Would we be using the same language files or are we creating two separate sets of language files for the respective language plugins?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi antKat,

I’ll respond to your queries inline. To help in the future, if you could create a separate thread for separate topics (Language Pack, Languages At Signup plugin, etc) it’ll definitely help us to get you a thorough response meanwhile keeping issues distinct so we can more easily resolve them.

1. Languages – the whole create a new folder that includes only the .mo files and then upload this new folder to wp-content; question, does the rest of the folder get used in the process?

No. The other files are included as they are provided from the source. You’ll find more information on WordPress languages at the following.

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_in_Your_Language

What is the _MACOSX folder used for?

It’s a Mac folder, as the pack was apparently archived on a Mac. You won’t need those files, but here’s a discussion on that for reference.

http://floatingsun.net/2007/02/07/whats-with-__macosx-in-zip-files/

Why not provide the .po files in a separate folder to begin with?

We’ll definitely take that into consideration if you’d like to create a Feature Suggestion on it, but I don’t believe it’s been requested, thus hasn’t been done as yet.

2. I finally have the General Settings including the default language option. However, drop-down combo box on Sign-up, only has the primary languages and not the sub-languages for selection. In other words, a language will be represented multiple times in the list.

I see what you mean. I’ll ask one of the developers to comment on that.

3. I selected a singularly listed language to see how it behaved and nothing was different. What exactly is translated with the plugin?

You should notice the back-end translations. Have you tried other languages? In testing I can definitely see the translations in the back-end on the created sites.

4. I read through the forum a suggestion for another plugin for translating the admin dashboard; how would installing and activating the dashboard language plugin impact your plugin? Would we be using the same language files or are we creating two separate sets of language files for the respective language plugins?

That really depends on the other plugin and how it works.

As mentioned in your previous question’s response, this should affect the back-end. If you’re not seeing changes in your site’s language based on the selection, it’s something we’ll have to look into.

Thanks,

David

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Help,

I am still having a problem with 2 & 3 above. I assume if we solve for 2 it will solve for 3.

The default language is in the General Settings and the Select Language on Signup is installed, activated and showing in sign-up form. However, the drop-down combo box on Sign-up is not showing all of the sub-languages for selection. In other words, a language will be represented multiple times in the list. For example, Corsican is in the list 25 times. See screenshot.

If I select a language that only has a single listing, such as French, the site is created but there is nothing in French.

I obviously have something installed wrong.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.