Problems with marketpress+WPML

I have two somewhat strange problems with wpml+marketpress

Something strange happens when I try to add a new product or updating an old one - as long as I do not add a translation or edit any product, it works fine, but if I add a translation for a product, or choose an existing translation of a product and "connect" it to the existing one, the one I'm editing gets a price of 0, the weight is changed to "a" (yes, the letter "a"), and the SKU turns into something like a:1:{i:0;s:0:"";}

Trying to edit and re-saving doesn't help, the values appears as above when the page loads after saving.

It might be that this started happening after updating to 3.4, but I'm not 100% sure, since I only noticed it by accident. The site is not live yet, but its supposed to go live in a few days, so I really hope you can help me fix this.

There also seems to be some sort of problem with the permalinks for the store, I havent managed to pinpoint when it happens, but suddenly the store will give a 404, and it starts working again after re-saving the permalink structure for the store.

• torsteino

Only parts of it. The wpml-people sent me a betaversion some time ago, that solved the first part of the problem, but the permalinks-stuff remains. However - I have managed to pinpoint what triggers it:

As long as I only go to the site in the default language (norwegian), everything works fine. And when I go to the english version of the site - any page, not just the marketpress-pages, everything seems to work fine.

However, if I return to the norwegian store after viewing ANY of the english pages, all norwegian storepages gives 404, except for ONE - the "real" page marketpress generates, you know, the one you can edit as a normal page.

And - if I either re-save the permalinks, or the marketpress - "presentation" tab, everything works fine once more.

However, I really need to get this working now, so I'll try using Polylang instead for the language-part, to see if that fixes things, or I'll have to try switching to Woocommerce. However - I will HATE recreating all the stuff I've made, so I really hope to get around this.

• aecnu

Greetings torsteino,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having difficulties with Market Press and WPML.

I am wondering if this indeed may be being caused by a browser cache issue?

Check you htaccess file and it does not change when you reset the permalinks if resetting them to the same. If this is indeed what you do. But what does change is the htaccess last modified date I believe and that is possibly why it fixes it because then your browser feeds it back in instead of using the cached version.

This is theory of course but just trying to help.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings torsteino,

Thank you for providing the URL of the site in your last post.

Totally freaking bizarre - I did visit the site, I did recreate the issue as you have described, and I did clear my cache and went back to the site and got the same issue!

I have never seen anything like this and now that I have the URL and enough ammunition it is time to call in the big guns on this issue.

I am going to see if I can get the lead developer of Market Press in here asap for his invaluable insight into the plugins coding and see if he can offer us any advice/advise us as to what is going on here and hopefully how to fix it.

I will see if I can get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron

First off make sure you are using the latest WPML MarketPress module version along with MP 2.6.1. I've been working with them and they just released a major bugfix, for which I added their requested filters for in 2.6.1.

If it's still an issue, it's definitely from the WPML side. That plugin creates different custom rewrites for each language, it sounds like they might be getting added too late so that when one of your installed plugins refreshes them, they are not yet in the queue.

This is often the fault of a completely unrelated plugin that refreshes permalinks sooner than it's supposed to. The only way to narrow that down is to disable plugins one by one and test, or at least disable all but MP+WPML first to confirm it is another plugin. Good luck!

• aecnu

Greetings torsteino,

Ouch! and thank you for informing us of this conflict. I am wondering if the tribe is willing to take a look at it to attempt to resolve the issue?

I apologize to you and Aaron for not having you go this route of checking for plugin conflicts from the beginning.

Actually this should be a requirement/protocol that members have checked before submitting a ticket, but my Boss has been reluctant to impose any set rules other then the normal common knowledge rules like no swearing, racial slurs etc.

However, thank you once again for letting us know what was causing the problem and that following standard troubleshooting protocol has indeed found the problem.

I am going to include standard troubleshooting protocol here just for reference for other members who read this post:

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

In the case of this ticket it may have saved you almost a months time trying to figure out what was the root of this issue and for this I sincerely apologize.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• torsteino

Yeah, I know the "deactivate all plugins"-rule, and it was really just silly of me to not try it sooner. However - I am quite sure that it is that plugin, I suddenly got a bad feeling when I read Aarons post, so I started by deactivating everything except Marketpress+WPML+TEC, and the issue was still there. Then I deactivated TEC, and it was gone. Reactivate TEC, and its back.

Ill try talking to the TEC-people first, after all, it would be a really nice feature for them to make their plugin work with WPML.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.