Problems With Registration Pages

I noticed today that if a user is directed to the main login.php page <mine would be http://www.bunkybuddy.com/wp-login.php&gt; there is a small link at the bottom that says "register" upon clicking that link, the url changes to "http://www.bunkybuddy.com/wp-login.php?action=register" Which then prompts the user for their username and password.. if the user fills out this imformation and clicks the "comfirm" button, they are then sent an email with a password <generated by wordpress i presume> and a link http://www.bunkybuddy.com/wp-login.php to login.... there is NO WHERE to disable this function as it used to take them to my regular register page... i have no intent on allowing people to create accounts by simply using a username and email address.. and furthermore i have issues with the link it refers to having /wp-login.php included in it when they could very easily login from my home website http://www.bunkybuddy.com.. If ANYONE can help me with this issue then i would be highly grateful. I'm assuming this is some new feature in wordpress 3.3.2? Also, any clues on how to get rid of the 'wp-login" being in the URL altogether? i dont want to advertise to people that i am using wordpress. No offense, but i think it's a vulnerability as it allows those who may wish to harm my installation a "Heads Up" on where to begin should they choose to do so..Please Advise..

• aecnu

Greetings bunkybuddy,

This is certainly a new development/issue that I have not heard of before.

This started after updating to WordPress 3.3.2?

I had more questions before visiting your web site and therefore I see the very answers to those questions.

Have you tried deactivated and re-activating the plugin that controls your registrations?

In a worst case scenario which is not too bad at all, we can redirect via your hosting control panel or htaccess file:

http://www.bunkybuddy.com/wp-login.php

To:

http://www.bunkybuddy.com/register/

Please advise about if deactivating and reactivation your registration controller plugin fixes the anomaly or if we will indeed need to use a redirect of some kind as a workaround.

Cheers, Joe

• bunkybuddy

changing wp-login.php to redirect to the /register sounds like the best route for me on this issue.. any suggestions on how to change that in my .htaccess file? that file is extremely sensitive i have noticed. The only registration plugin that i have activated is one called Welcome Messages, and i also have the Ultimate Facebook Plugin active. i will try to deactivate those to see if that does anything..nope, nothing, i have deactivated any plugin that could possibly be affecting my registration pages and it's still there.. i can only presume that it is a feature added into wordpress/buddypress however there is no option to change it.. i would not want to allow a person to login using simply an username/email along with a password which will be emailed to them along with a link back to bunkybuddy.com/WP-LOGIN.PHP :stuck_out_tongue: the redirect could change that however my forgotten password links will no longer be accessible. i really would like to keep the page just disable that "quick registration" function.. i believe more thought shouldve gone into it...thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings bunkybuddy,

The htaccess file is a sensitive file in regards to its power and commands, but nothing to be afraid of but be cautious not to lose settings within.

This should do the trick, add to your htaccess file right before the Begin WordPress label within htaccess
    Redirect 301 /wp-login.php http://www.bunkybuddy.com/register/

Please advise if the above statement does it for us concerning this issue.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• bunkybuddy

Well, I tried your recommendation and it completely altered my theme (Buddypress Default) without a way to recover it. No sidebar widgets display and every single page was altered in this manner even with the plug-in deactivated and deleted. I am extremely disgruntled and it appears as if the only option I have now is to delete the default theme and to re-install it without all of the customizations I've spent months working on. This should have been an easy fix as it is wordpress that is setting the log-in configuration. I looked inside of the WP-LOGIN.php file and it clearly has parameters corresponding to the problem I originally posted about.(Register with only username & email and password emailed).
    Any suggestions on how to get my theme back without deleting and starting over?

• bunkybuddy

well i had done all of that.. nothing had seemed to work so i spent the last 4 hours configuring a new theme to work with my site... in a way.. im kind've glad that plugin broke my theme because it gave me a good reason to upgrade from the buddypress default one i was using previously. on the downside, my site was down in maintenance mode for a few hours while i was doing so. Now back to my original problem which is still not fixed ;P changing the "register" link on the /wp-login.php to direct to bunkybuddy/register if worst comes to worse, then i believe i will have to take the option to configure my htaccess file to redirect /wp-login.php to /bunkybuddy/register and then add a "forgot password?" link into my html somewhere to allow users to retrieve their lost passwords if necessary...

• bunkybuddy

is this normal behavior for a wordpress installation to make the wp-login.php function in this manner? (Please see the screen captures that i included above) without any way to modify it? have you any wordpress installation to test and see if there is any similar occurance? Also, modification of my .htaccess file using the parameter you gave me rendered this result: A logged in user cannot logout.. a logged out user cannot login... trying to login will take a user to the wp-login page which did successfully redirect as desired, however with these other side effects, i am afriad this option is not viable.... have you any idea why it would behave in this manner from just a simple 301 redirect? is there a way to just modify the login.php file so that the register link takes a person to the desired location that way? the htaccess file is not seemingly willing to cooperate in this nature to my disappointment :slight_frown: please advise

• aecnu

Greetings bunkybuddy,

I am happy to hear that you got your site recovered and sorry that it caused you so much difficulty.

This is a first and if you Google site:wpmudev.org mp-blog-register.zip you will see that many people are using it without incident.

Before calling in a developer in on this ticket, please post the specs of your site.

You mentioned you are running WordPress 3.3.2 already and you indicated other sites so it is a MultiSite installation?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Membership plugin or what is the registration rendered from?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• bunkybuddy

I am using Wordpress 3.3.2. along with Buddypress 1.5.5. using wordpress's builtin registration features along with ultimate facebook and a social connect plugin that gives my subscribers the option to sign-up using yahoo or google to connect... none of which are affecting the registration process as i have disabled them all and have the same affect. It seems to be inherited from the latest installation/upgrade of wordpress that i installed as i have never had any screen before like the one depicted in my above screenshot i can submit another one with those plugins i mentioned disabled as proof if you need it but one should simply be able to check it with their own wordpress installation to verify this instance no? if you click on the register link from your own /wp-login.php what does it do? is it because my site is preferenced for "anyone can register"? with "unticking" that option, i have to manually approve new subscribers, and though it removes the "register" button from the /wp-login.php screen, it completely disables new user registration on the front-end COMPLETELY! ....I am not using a multi-site installation as of now, and no membership plugins are controlling my site outside of wordpress/buddypress default membership/registration..... the screen captures i attached are most definately wordpress children and not those of any plugin... what i cant understand is, why i am the only person who has this feature...phenomenal :smiley:

• aecnu

Greetings bunkybuddy,

It appears that the issues originally reported in this ticket have been resolved by your new installation.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• bunkybuddy

as you can see... this problem was never fixed... i have no idea what you mean by a new installation? but for some reason... i seem to be the only person with an installation of wordpress that does this when the "register" link is clicked on from the domain/wp-login screen..... Perhaps the makers of wordpress should be alerted to me having such a previledge as it seems to be something no one else has but wants. I simply would like to know if anyone else has this issue with their wordpress or if is something that is truly unique to my website? does anyone even care? hehe...do you or anyone you know have a wordpress/buddypress installation that you can use to test and see if they get this same screen? ive had this problem for a few weeks now.. it seems like something tht should be a fairly simple fix...i really have no intentions on allowing people to signup using simply an email address/password combination.....screenshot of the page in question included... thank you...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.