Problems with the permissions on my site

I have installed two plugins. A directory plugin called Connections and a classified plugin called Another Wordpress Classified Plugin. Those two plugins have an edit button on the frontend that takes the user to a specific menu in the backend. The user will only see those two menus and not all the other. It should work if my users are subscribers, and they all are. But all the other menus are still showing in my dashboard. I have tried plugins like admin menu editor, user access manager and adminimize, but even if I disable the other menus, so my users should not see them, they can still see them all. I think for a couple of months ago I had some troubles with the permissions, and then I was messing around with the different read and write permissions in my file manager in my cpanel. Am I right, that there are two kind of numbers that sets the permission? Are they not something like 644 and 755? I can see the numbers in my cpanel. But I dont know what files they should be with. In my wp-content folder, I can also see these numbers. Do you guys think that it has something with my permission to do? I have tried to de-activate my plugins, but it still dont work. Can you say what the permission numbers are for my users or folders in my cpanel? I really hope you can help.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@sorensen84,

So even subscribers can see all other menu options? Have you tried creating a new user to see if somehow the first one had their capabilities escalated somehow?

If there's a problem with permissions, you'd likely get an error message. You can test this out by enabling debug mode with debug logging. Here's a snippet you can drop in your wp-config.php file to do this: http://git.io/gJANNQ

The most secure permissions are:

755 for directories
    644 for files

You can also set your wp-config.php file to 640 to prevent other processes from reading the file.

Best regards,

• sorensen84
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I did create a new user, and now it is better. But it is still showing the menu "Dashboard" "Jetpack"

How do I remove them?

And why do you think it was better now, when I re-did a new user again. Do you think I have messed the other one up? But I hope my users only see the menu, I see with my new user now.

• sorensen84
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you so much Alexander :slight_smile: I was getting very worried. You never know if there could be some user who would mess the whole thing up, if they could access everything. But it looks fine. I think I will remove that widget "Right now in rtmedia". I dont know if they can access something, if they click on albums, musics or photos.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.