Process and Queued

I've got Time Delay set to 1 day but usually when I check there are about 20 queued, and the queue count just keeps going up and up, so it seems as if the emails are not going out automatically.

What does 'process' mean in this context? If the emails are automatically sent why is there a manual 'process' link>

• patung
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Seriously I don't understand with the Messages plugin...do I have to click "Process" in order to send the emails? It's not like an autoresponder? If I click process then it sends the email x days from now according to the Time Delay or x days since the person registered?

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

I'm pretty sure that 'Process; is there in case they don't send or you want to test.

They should be sent out automatically - based on the rule you mentioned.

Barry's got a new version of this coming out soon too! (sounding like a broken Barry orientated record today :slight_smile:

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Oh, BTW, sorry for not responding to your initial request - it must have slipped through the gaps :disappointed:

Are you using Multisite or single version WP - the new version Barry's releasing fixes up some issues on single use but this should be totally fine on multisite.

• patung

It's wp 3 multisite. I'm pretty sure no emails are going out automatically, clicking 'process' now doesn't seem to do anything, the Queued count stays the same, whereas previously when I "processed" them it cleared the queued count and I got an email in my test account.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @patung - this could be a number of things - but things to check are:

1. Are other emails from your system going out (new user notifications / password reminders)? If the plugin gets an error for the email sending then it won't move the user to the next step.

2. Does the WP cron work on your system? If you schedule a post for publishing at a set date in the future, does it publish?

3. You mention that the process button used to work, what changes have you done to your system / server since then?

• patung

I have to take it back a bit. If it's "send immediately", then that's what happens, you get the email instantly after signing up.

I'm just confused if I set a time delay on it, which is what I had before. Now I've got 24 in the queue, not sure what will happen with them now that i've changed the time delay to 'immediate', processing doesn't get rid of them. I guess I'll wait to see if the number starts going down...

• patung

Well, I tried scheduling a post, never done it before, and it didn't fire, it says "Missed schedule" on wp-admin/edit.php. So maybe that's why the delayed messages don't go out, but the immediate ones do, like with posts.

• patung

1. Are other emails from your system going out (new user notifications / password reminders)? If the plugin gets an error for the email sending then it won't move the user to the next step.

yes

2. Does the WP cron work on your system? If you schedule a post for publishing at a set date in the future, does it publish?

no

3. You mention that the process button used to work, what changes have you done to your system / server since then?

Well I just upgraded Plesk to 9.3 and php from 5.1.6. to 5.2.13 the other day.

• Aaron
    • CTO

As you'll see if you do the search that drmike suggested, this is a common ploblem/confusion.

Your server must have regular public traffic for the schedule to fire reliably. A test server will not seem to work. Basically how it works is when someone visits and the page is loading, WP checks if there is something in the queue. If so, it uses php to post to the wp-cron.php script asynchronously (big word). Bottom line, unless you are getting non cache hits every few minutes timing could be very delayed to never running depending on your traffic.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

you could activate this plugin and check if the mails get send. it logs all mails sent from your site: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/email-log/

And regarding the broken cron feature in WP (talking about posts publishing not emails but maybe it can be adapted) I successfully used this plugin to fix it in single wordpress isntallations and acording to the plugin author it works for multi-site too: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-missed-schedule/ dunno what magic it does but it works.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.