Process for signing up for a new site

So there is one area that I'm a little confused by and I am trying to figure it out. Basically here's my understanding of what I should be able to do, but I feel like I can't know that I have downloaded Pro Sites. After doing some digging I thought it would be best to just ask what I am missing. Here's the user flow that I want a person to follow....

1. General User comes to the public facing website.
2. Selects a site plan
3. Goes through the checkout process
4. Upon approval, they are sent an email confirming their signup.
5. User logs in and they have their new package and they are ready to roll.

Ideas on what I'm missing?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greeting sccrwoohoo :slight_smile:

this is what you are missing ..... lol

1. General User comes to the public facing website.

2. User Registers for a free site and has the option to get an upgraded site.

3. If they choose upgraded site, then selects a site plan

4. Goes through the checkout process

5. Upon Paypal IPN return positive for funds approval, the site is created and they are sent an email confirming their signup and login details.

6. User logs in and they have their new package and they are ready to roll.

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccrwoohoo :slight_smile:

excuse me I should have broken step 2 into two parts .... lol .... my bad :-S

First they register as a user then they are presented with the creating a site screen.

They must register as a user first before they start going through the site creation process.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccrwoohoo :slight_smile:

have you set the levels up?

here is our system at work and the related screens, first screen user registration where they choose from Just a User Name selection we custom removed or Gimme a site.

second site creation:

Where they select they are interested and are then sent to the payment page after they finish creating the site.

• sccrwoohoo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you --- I totally missed that. I appreciate the screenshots, it definitely helped.

Is there even a way to just allow the user to select with "plan" that they want. It seems kind of odd that you can't as most sites work that way.

cheers!

• sccrwoohoo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That makes sense.

I guess what would be great then is if you could pass a query string in the wp-signup.php url

So you might do something like this:

http://www.domain.com/wp-signup.php?plan=awesome

Then the person can sign up and then ProSites know what package they are signing up for.

----

Either that, or once you create a username, then the next screen should let the user pick the package. Is that even possible?

Cheers!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

GREAT question and now that we are this far you will understand the exact procedure is as follows:

1. User Account which consists of user name and password so WordPress knows which user to relate the next step to:

2. Blog/Web Site Creation so that WordPress knows which blog/website to apply the upgrade to in the next step:

3. Plan selection.

We have not tried to develop a way around this because WordPress has actually embedded the procedure or order in which things are done. In addition, customization may be lost and need to be re-worked every time an update is done :slight_frown:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey guys.

I suppose something custom for this could be programmed, you could do what BuddyPress does by creating a custom signup page. Perhaps it could be done in steps then as you click confirm/pay it sets (traditionally the final accept button in the signup process) it could also send you to Paypal.

I think that e-mail confirmation signup would need turning off. I know if I had paid over Paypal I would expect that to be confirmation enough that I was human and not a spam bot. :slight_smile:

I'd love a more straight through process.

I suppose another option would be a plugin which could check if "First time logging in & with site" then direct you automatically to the upgrade page.

Excellent ideas here!!

I'll pass this feedback on :slight_smile:

• sccrwoohoo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Interestingly enough - I went through the signup process at EduBlogs and its exactly what I would want. I definitely now understand why its done that way. Basically

1) create a username
    2) create the site
    3) redirected to the sign-up plan page
    4) redirected into your blog

I like this process and it would work, the question is how did they do that?

Cheers,
    b

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Sorry are you saying that EduBlogs allows you to select a plan?

I didn't think it did and so went through the signup myself.

When you are finished signing up you log into the admin, you still have to choose to upgrade manually.

It is the same process as WordPress except they have turned off e-mail confirmation requirement. If you want to turn off email confirmation then check out the following plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/remove-email-verification-from-signup

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

• sccrwoohoo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Aaron & Timothy

So I walked through the process and took screenshots. Timothy, you are correct - it does take me to the login screen. However, I noticed something very interested, after the login page, I was hijacked and sent to the plans page (attached).

Then it reminded me of the EasyBlogging plugin and there was an option to Hijack the page for the first time visitors.

I'm no where at the level to code this, but how can I hijack the user for the first time and send them to the upgrades page to pick a plan?

I could always update the URL in the EASY Blogging plugin, but I know that's a bad idea.

Thoughts? I feel like I'm close to a good solution....

Cheers,
    b

• Christopher Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Fantastic refresher of the signup process. Thanks!

I think it's worth mentioning that WordPress is probably doing things for more behavioral than technical reasons. They and others have adopted the "freemium" model of getting new users hooked on a free and easy service, then offer paid upgrades upgrades. I believe that is why things work as they do.

Accordingly, a more aggressive sales approach will probably always be an uphill battle on this platform.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.