Product Customization (color, size, accessories, etc)

Will MarketPress allow for product customization? i.e. after selecting a product, choosing options (color, size, etc).

If not, can someone recommend a plugin or strategy that would allow for this with WooCommerce or other solutions?

I need to support 5 categories options; model, size, color, accessories, add-ons. Each category will have multiple options to choose from, which will dynamically update the image AND the price, without refreshing the page.

Ideally, I'd like to build an interface similar to the Tesla design/order page : http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

Where the primary image is dominant and changes according to your options selected.

• Michelle Shull

Hi Michael!

MarketPress, in it's current version, supports products with a single variation, so, for example, if you were selling red, green, and blue t-shirts in sizes S, M, and L, you'd need to have multiple products (and SKUs) like so:

Green shirt - variations (S, M, L)
    Red Shirt - variations (S, M, L)
    Blue Shirt - variations (S, M, L)

Woo will support multiple variations, but I can't confirm they can handle five.

I know we're close (I can't give an exact ETA) to a whole number release of MarketPress, and as far as I know, we're planning to support greater product variation.

Hope this helps clear a few things up! Thanks for your question!

• Michael

Hi Michelle,

Thanx for the input. Could you direct me towards a solution that will allow for a basic interface with multiple options & UX (full width product image) similar to the Tesla design studio example? Doesn't have to be Woo, just need something that's visually compelling with multiple options like that.

BTW, sorry about the duplicate post, when I clicked through the first time, I got a PHP error message that said something like "Slow down there buddy, you're clicking too fast" and it didn't look like it went through.

• aristath

Hello there @Michael, I hope you're well today!

MarketPress 3.0 (coming soon) will support multiple variations so if I were you I'd hold on just for a while until it comes out. I recently tested the dev version of it and I can say it's going to be simply awesome!

As for the product selector, this will probably require a lot of custom coding, no matter what eCommerce solution you choose!

You could also just create multiple products (no variations) and then simply write some custom HTML so that the "pricing table" there links to the products you create.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Michael

Thanx Ari,

It will be interesting to see what MarketPress 3.0 has to offer.

I'm surprised no one has developed a visually rich product selector with several layout & configuration options (like the Tesla example) for ANY eCommerce system at this point. At least not that I've been able to find.

Looks like a huge opportunity for any plugin developers. Especially if someone were to develop multiple plugins or extensions to augment several eCommerce systems.

Picture using the "Visually Rich Product Selector" (<- needs a WAY better name :slight_smile: ) with MarketPress, or WooCommerce, or Shopify, or Easy Digital Downloads, etc.

I suppose you would have to code separate extensions for each. But THAT, would be a rather definitive product selector plugin worth paying for.

Wish I could build the stuff I think of. Maybe someday . . . until then, it's off to find someone to hack some hi-tech legos into making the machine I want.

Thanx for the feedback. I suppose this thread is "resolved" in an "unresolved" kind of way. But it would be great to keep it open, just in case anyone in the future, would like to chime in with a more specific solution. Thanx.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Wow, that is a very cool product customizer :slight_smile: would be lying if I said I didn't build myself a Tesla. Unfortunately, the visual builder image is as close as I'll get to it for now :p

I haven't seen anything like this yet either. As Ari mentioned, it would require custom development, and likely a lot of it. I think a tough part would be making it universal for all different types of products.

If I do find anything like this, I'll definitely post back here to update you.

Hope you're having a great day!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Michael

Thanx Tyler,

Yeah, I can't WAIT to be able to afford one of those puppies too. I'm holding out for a Model X though :slight_smile:

I can see from a functional perspective, that it should be possible to build a universal plugin that would essentially accomplish what the Tesla builder is doing. What I mean is, it's basically just swapping out images, based on combinations of values.

Really wish someone would build something like this, and integrate it with WooCommerce and maybe even have an extension for Shopify . . . I smell opportunity here.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Kim,

This thread was opened more than 3 years ago and since then there was an update to MarketPress that included product variations so you can now set a different color, size, etc. for your products.

For further discussion of the best approach to WooCommerce I would suggest starting a new ticket in our Members forum where it will get more attention from other members that might be using similar setup.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.