product description not accepting html

Marketpress does not seem to allow for additional product attributes (such as colour or dimensions). I’m not talking about variations as such, just being able to say that Product A is red, Product B is green etc. So this information has to be added to the description field. However any html added to the description field such as strong or line break is stripped from the description field when it is displayed in the product list (see http://hausofstone.draft.net.au/store/products/category/home-decor/). The text all runs together. Not so it seems with the single product listing.

I am also trying to replace the featured image with a jquery gallery of images added to the description field so that I can show more than one image but this is also stripped from the product listing (but not the single product display).

How can I ensure that the product listing reflects html in the description field?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drfingerless,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention and the great question.

How can I ensure that the product listing reflects html in the description field?

I certainly find this behavior bizarre as I am sure that you do. However, before we did in too deep here could you please update to the newest version here and let me know if the phenomenon persists?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drfingerless,

Thank you for the update which is certainly appreciated.

I did not know if this issue was version related or not and if indeed the lead developer had addressed it – to include if it is an intended use situation.

However, rather then me trying to make that determination I I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us regarding this issue.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• drfingerless
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Aaron, this appears to solve part of the problem. Basic HTML is accepted by the excerpt field, but my attempt to add multiple images (not possible directly it seems) by adding a gallery shortcode to the excerpt is not being interpreted within the excerpt i.e. the shortcode [gallery include="145,146" link="file" columns="2" size="thumbnail"] is simple being displayed as text. See Butler Bottle Holder – Drink on this page.

• drfingerless
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

And that has done the trick!

But it seems it is two steps forward, one step back. The single product page does not show the excerpt, whereas before it was showing the main product description (including html). If I add that back in to the product description I think it will display twice in the product category listing display (once from the description and once from the excerpt).

Also the new beta version of MarketPress puts a placeholder ‘no image’ graphic until a featured image is added to the product. I can force this to not display but will then lose any other featured image. Sometimes only one image is required for a product and the standard featured image is fine, but when more than one is to be displayed I’d like to not use the featured image (I’d use the gallery instead).

• Aaron
    • CTO

ack. The single product page does not show the excerpt, whereas before it was showing the main product description (including html). If I add that back in to the product description I think it will display twice in the product category listing display (once from the description and once from the excerpt).

No, lisings always show excerpt, and single products the description. You would’nt have both ever dispalyed together.

It’s not possible to not show default images in the product list in the current beta. You can change the image file used via the ‘mp_default_product_img’ filter.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.