Product listing: would like full content, instead of excerpt

Hiya,

One of my clients wants to sell their mp3s on their site in my multi-site install. I have suggested that they have a single listing of all their files that are for sale, and that the user be able to play the files from one page, and then be able to click "Buy now" to purchase.

The mp_product_list shortcode, and the store listing of products pulls the content of each product with the_excerpt().

Is there a way to force the listing to pull the entire content of a product?

I've tried to get the shortcodes to execute in the_excerpt() with the following code in a plugin (not functions.php)

add_filter( 'the_excerpt', 'shortcode_unautop', 5);
add_filter( 'the_excerpt', 'do_shortcode', 5);
add_filter( 'get_the_excerpt', 'do_shortcode', 5 );

But no dice.

The shortcode that I want to run is for wp-audio so that the end-user can play the mp3 before buying...

Cheers
Ajax

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ajaxmac,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I'll see if I can get the lead developer in here to assist / give you some advice... in the meantime if you
    could post the results / problems you've come across doing it yourself here that would definitely help too.

Alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute, but we're aiming to get you sorted ourselves.

Thanks again and it is great to have you as a WPMU Dev member, looking forward to getting this worked out!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Ajaxmac.

I have suggested that they have a single listing of all their files that are for sale, and that the user be able to play the files from one page, and then be able to click "Buy now" to purchase.

Just to note, if its playable on the the page, it would be reasonably easy to download without purchase.

If you take a look at the code for the shortcode [Global Products List] you will notice it takes a text argument, you might to look through how that loops and then customise the shortcode function for products in a normal store.

Before making to many custom changes you might want to take a peek at our forthcoming release, which is now in beta: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-25-beta-cool-new-stuff

Take care.

• Ajax McKerral
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi aecnu,

Thanks for the quick response - I'm capable of coding this myself, but I would like to avoid heavy customisations of themes and plugins on my multi-site network, where possible. It makes upgrading a painful process.

I was wondering if there is a quick solution to this - or if I need to make a new template for the products listing.

I have read somewhere else that the wpaudio plugin is difficult to use with the filters I posteed above.

Am continuing to look for solutions.

Cheers

• Ajax McKerral
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@Timothy

Both wp-audio and soundcloud shortcodes allow you to specify that no download is available.

I was wondering if there is a shortcode that I could use to embed a "Buy Now" button and price by passing a product name or ID ? This would also sort out the issue.

Cheers

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Both wp-audio and soundcloud shortcodes allow you to specify that no download is available.

Lots of sites have features to hide files, still if it plays it can be downloaded. A number of browser addons can do this, for example this is one of many for FF:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

A lot of sites get around it by only allowing a short preview of the audio. I've never tried downloadhelper with wp-audio but I know it works on other audio sites.

I was wondering if there is a shortcode that I could use to embed a "Buy Now" button and price by passing a product name or ID ? This would also sort out the issue.

Unfortunately not, you would need to create something custom I believe.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.