Product theme: some styling questions

1. I have been playing around with my colour scheme and have found two things that won’t change colour when I put a colour in the custom styling:

A. slideshow pagination link active background colour

When I change the link colour it changes, but the background stays a light grey. I have it set to black and you can see it is grey. http://ukmarketingnetwork.com/

B. buddypress navigation hover text colour

I have it set to a pinky colour yet when you hover over the text it is black.

Another odd thing here is that whatever colour I put into slideshow pagination link colour it changes slideshow pagination border colour to the same colour – is this supposed to happen? I can’t change the border colour it just reverts to the link colour.

2. In IE8 is when you click on the navigation arrows on the side of the slide show small dotted black line appear above and below the arrow – not visable in google Chrome. Any idea about this?

3. The last question: I want to change some text sizes and I have never worked with child themes before and would like to know which CSS I need to change and where it is. I assume this is the only way to change sizes as the style option only allows colour change.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: Can you try uploading this attached file to your theme root then:

library/options/

*Please take a back up of that file before you upload the new one just incase.

Usually I’d put an update but this was something already covered in an update waiting to come out for WordPress 3.0 and want to release as part of that.

As for the IE 8 thing this is just a ‘this is a link’ notification by that browser (others also show it) that occurs – I’ll stop that happening in the next update.

As for child themes and CSS yes to change elements like sizes you would be wanting to use child themes. I’m not sure if you have checked them out but perhaps these tutorials may help you.

Using firebug to find the CSS class of the element you want to style

Parent and child themes explored

Hope this helps.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: Can you try uploading this attached file to your theme root then:

library/options/

*Please take a back up of that file before you upload the new one just incase.

Usually I’d put an update but this was something already covered in an update waiting to come out for WordPress 3.0 and want to release as part of that.

As for the IE 8 thing this is just a ‘this is a link’ notification by that browser (others also show it) that occurs – I’ll stop that happening in the next update.

As for child themes and CSS yes to change elements like sizes you would be wanting to use child themes. I’m not sure if you have checked them out but perhaps these tutorials may help you.

Using firebug to find the CSS class of the element you want to style

Parent and child themes explored

Hope this helps.

• AquaPebble
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Tammie

I will try that and have a look at those topics. Will get back to you once it is done.

Just another question I thought of.

In the slider show boxes can only text, image and video that you manually insert go in there or is there anyway to have a feed for example showing up in one of those slides?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: Sorry didn’t see the question you asked: No there is no way of getting a feed unless you modified the code. You could do that but it would mean adjusting the loop and you’d be unable to use the theme options to set things – you’d have to adjust library/components/featured-slider.php.

• AquaPebble

Ok just discovered a problem with widgets with that update. I can’t drag them into the side-bars. The moment I click on a widget the grey top bar streches across the screen and it can’t be dropped into the boxes.

I enabled default theme and it worked normally and then put product them back and it was doing it again.

• AquaPebble

Yes you are right – it is still there when I put back the old file.

That is weird as it worked yesterday in this theme and it works when I change themes. This is the first time I tried to add widgets after you asked me to remove them yesterday.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: hmm not sure I can add widgets happily myself to that theme.. can you do me a favour and try the following:

1. Remove any plugins you may have if you do have any live

2. Put on the product style

I’m rather puzzled why you can’t add things but lets try and see what happens with this.

Have you installed / done anything else since yesterday?

• AquaPebble

No, just been working on the colour template. Orginally I tried 4 Buddypress plugins, but deactivated them while Andrew fixed a problem and haven”t activated any since.

Not sure what you mean by put on the product style? Do you want me to put on the product theme and not the child theme or upload the product child css…. or something else? :slight_smile:

edit: I only thing I have done since yesterday when I last looked at widgets to take them off was do that index file upload, upload that header image and change the colours.

• AquaPebble

I will send that through to you.

Just had a thought and tested this in Google Chrome and it works fine. So maybe it is something to do with IE8. Seems IE8 (or at least the version I am using) is not so compatible with this theme.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: IE 8 is fine I think it’s something more set up wise / local but need to see – I can put widgets on at will on my test sites using product and IE 8. However, we’re just about to release a big update as WordPress 3.0 just came out and Product is having a large update for that.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: I got them thank you and I logged on. You do still have a lot of plugins on and I think this is perhaps the issue. To test this theory I on my testing server which has literally nothing on it apart from buddypress and wordpress mu 2.9.2 I went on with product and it worked fine. I think the reason it is showing on product is that it’s maybe a javascript error / clash. So, my suggestion is to remove one by one your plugins then you can test to see. I didn’t have too much time this evening but wanted to give you something to go on if I couldn’t get back to you straight away tomorrow.

Please do not get down hearted about this I will check back tomorrow at some point to see how you are going and we will get Product up and running. Trust us if we couldn’t have widgets being added in IE 8 we’d have heard from a few people by now :slight_smile: You have also come right on the cusp of an update which was released today for Product hence able to send you the files I have been. As you can see WordPress 3.0 is now out and this sees Product with a lot of updates.

• AquaPebble

Are those not standard? Or are they part of the WP.MU install?

I never realised those are plugins as they are not on the plugins menu. If you look at the plugins you can see the ones I have there are still all inactive and not recently active.

I would not want to mess with anything they did as part of the install myself due to inexperience with MU and BuddyPress.

I would rather use another theme as I still have a load of plugins I need like membership. You have me really worried now about the amount of plugin one can safely use.

I am not going to do anything on those tonight as I have no idea what I am doing with respect to them.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: When you say membership do you mean the new membership plugin or subscription one? I’m trying to work out what is going on as I can’t recreate this on any other site. It is not theme related you will get this on any theme that uses javascript which means all of our buddypress themes so we do need to sort it out. Please do not panic or worry I just need to work through this step by step with you. I am not and have never said a plugin is bad it’s just I want to have as few things as possible to deal with so asking you to uninstall plugins enables this.

• AquaPebble

The new membership plugin. Also want to use supporter plugin with it.

I just had a look at the directory and realised there is the separate mu plugin one. And all those sit in there. So I suppose those do not show on plugins in the dashboard.

I am feeling a bit confused about when something would go in plugins and muplugins – and have no idea how I am supposed to deactivate a plugin in muplugins or is it that I should just move those plugins to a temp folder for now then put one at a time back?

I am happy to leave this till tomorrow when you have more time.

And when is it safe to upgrade to WP3? Would this help?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@aquapebble: I am still as I said unable to replicate this on any other site so I need you to turn off all plugins and see if you can still have this as a problem or not.

However, we’re also at a junction where we now have wordpress 3.0. I think rather than take up too much time and put you off the entire process (I want it to be a nice process not hard one for you) – maybe yes upgrading is a good idea. The problem is now if you do want to use Product you do really need to be using 3.0 to use the latest theme. Also, if you are new to this rather than you learn WordPress Mu learning WordPress 3.0 in multi-site probably is better. But, it’s not such an easy process so please read carefully before upgrading.

There is a good starting point here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/important-wp-30-upgrade-instructions-please-read-before-updating

If you do get any issues upgrading or from now on just start a new thread and we can deal with them – I am here along with everyone to make this as easy and pleasant a process as we can. Once you get to know what is going on it will be trust me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.