Progress lost when saving

Hi, I have been working on a website design layout last night and when I finished editing in Upfront editor (Appearance->Customize) I clicked to Update the theme. The browser (Chrome on Win 10) window asked me if I should continue navigating away from the page or stay. This usually means something is going wrong and something is not saved (tell me if I'm wrong). I clicked Stay and Saved again. Unfortunately, the browser window came up again. As I knew I saved, I clicked Leave, hoping that it would be alright. Unfortunately, today I see that Builder does not remember anything of my work from last night and it has reset to a default layout.

How can I recover my work?

What am I doing wrong and how to prevent this from happening again?

This is the version I opened first today, I believe it was in the cache and thus it keeps my work from last night:
This is the layout version I get today after I cleaned the cache:

I suspect I'm not using the Builder correctly and probably should only work in the Builder (Upfront -> Builder) and not in Appearance -> Customize. If so, can you please confirm and explain the logic behind the two?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Georgi

• Rupok

Hi Georgi Pepelyankov,

So sorry for the inconvenience you are having. Can you please confirm that you made your changes in "Upfront Editor" (as you said you initiated the editor from "Appearance -> Customize" section) and then when you loaded the "Upfront Builder" (Upfront -> Builder), all your customization is gone?

If yes, can you please boot Upfront Editor again from "Appearance -> Customize" link and check if the customization is there or not? I believe, you will see all your customization there.

I'm sorry for the confusion between Builder and Editor. Let me explain in details.

Suppose you are creating a regular WordPress theme. So what should you do? You will be designing layout/template files. Like Single Post layout, Single Page layout, category archive layout etc. You will use your custom design, pictures, elements to design those layouts. And when you export that theme, all your changes will be shipped with your theme. That means, anyone activating your theme will get the same design you created for your layouts. In Upfront, you do this part with Builder.

Now suppose, you have downloaded and activated that regular WordPress theme in your site. Then you created pages, posts etc. with your content like text, images etc. Even you can modify your pages/posts with custom CSS code or JS code. But all these changes are your site specific. That means, all these changes are stored in your site database, these changes are not attached with your theme. So if you activate this theme on another site, your customization won't be there. In Upfront, you do this with Editor.

So the basic different is, with Builder, you create/design layouts/templates for your theme development, it doesn't have anything to do with content. But with Upfront Editor, you basically create/develop content for your site. It doesn't have anything to do with theme design/development.

That's why, your customization in Editor is not visible in Builder. Because all your customization in Editor is saved in your site database and overrides theme default designs but not stored in the theme files.

So in brief, if you change your theme with Builder, those changes will be stored in your theme files. And will be available to anywhere you install that theme. But if you change with Editor, those are your site specific, and won't be able to anywhere else except your own site where you made those changes.

Please let us know if you still have any confusion or if you can't get back your changes even in Editor. In that case, would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.