Proper backup with Snapshot

Hi

First of, today i ended my trial and is now officially a happy member... I love and enjoy your work in here, all of you. Damn good work..

Back to question.
Ok in another thread i posted an error message when i tried to make a backup. The message was related to the max time and the avaiable ram. Previous host only give me 128mb.
I finaly moved to another host. Now i have 764mb ram defined in the wp config file.

My uestions

1: I have created a FTP destination to my NAS and tested the connection, but how do I make an immediately backup and send it to my NAS??
2: I have approx 10 gb of webcontent, during the configuration of what content i wanted backed up, i choosed everything. I was supprised to see it only toke 6 min. Then going into the uploads folder to see the snapshots, they were only 1gb in size?? Please explain to me, how can ALL my webiste content fill that little??
3: What is the correct approch when i want a full backup of everything so i can get exactly same site as intended.
4: In the managed backups there is a button to backup now, next to a text saying BETA- This backs up to local folder or the nas? Also when i hit the button then it started a process where it proceesed up to 106(not sure if this number is files or??) But after 106 it stopped and error message came in red "empty something"??
What is it doing here and why can 't i back it up like this? I think it back up to the WPMUDEV cloud..

I have checked in my remote NAS folder and it has not recieved any files/backups...

Please advice..
/Hamid

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hamid,

Welcome to WPMU DEV! Officially :wink:

1: I have created a FTP destination to my NAS and tested the connection, but how do I make an immediately backup and send it to my NAS??

With the way you've set it up and that you've selected NAS as the destination it should be doing this already. I do see that it doesn't look like the Snapshot actually completed though.

2: I have approx 10 gb of webcontent, during the configuration of what content i wanted backed up, i choosed everything. I was supprised to see it only toke 6 min. Then going into the uploads folder to see the snapshots, they were only 1gb in size?? Please explain to me, how can ALL my webiste content fill that little??

It doesn't look like the Snapshots actually completed. At least I don't see any that completed in your list.

3: What is the correct approch when i want a full backup of everything so i can get exactly same site as intended.

We have two different backup methods. "Managed" and the regular Snapshots.

Regular Snapshot: you will want to make sure everything is selected during the Snapshot setup process:

I see you already did that as well.

Managed Backups: This is what backsup to our own WPMU DEV servers and will always backup everything. Keep in mind that your Membership comes with 10GB free of storage and then after that you can buy additional storage from your account page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/account/

4: In the managed backups there is a button to backup now, next to a text saying BETA- This backs up to local folder or the nas? Also when i hit the button then it started a process where it proceesed up to 106(not sure if this number is files or??) But after 106 it stopped and error message came in red "empty something"??

Even with your increased memory and timeout, 10GB is a huge backup to do from a PHP application. To be completely honest, once your site gets to that size, you are really better off using a server side solution like cPanel's backups. I know they aren't as user friendly as what Snapshot does, but at 10GB they will be more server friendly.

With that said, I would like to look further into this and confirm that it is due to the size. Would you mind sending in the FTP for your site?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Then I can have a closer look at your logs and run further tests :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Luís

Hi Hamid ,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your patience here!

I gave a closer look to your installation and from what I checked, the most of disk usage is related to the backups (BackWPup and Snapshot). Both folders together have close to 9GB.

In fact, your website only have 1GB (approx.) of content, because to the backups in Snapshot, the "Snapshot" folder is automatically excluded and I added a global exclusion to the BackWPup folder.

Regarding to the Snapshot folder, some things can be removed to free some space. Also, I made a test using the Managed backups option and it worked properly (you can check it in Snapshot -> Managed Backups).

To the "old" backups option (Snapshot -> Add New), that allows you to save the backup in other destinations, I made some tests just saving the database or the plugins folder, etc, and it was properly sent to my host (using FTP), but including all files (themes, media, plugins) will increase the size of the backup file and we will need to increase the "max_execution_time" PHP variable.

I tried to increase it using php.ini and .htaccess, but I was unable, your host is not allowing it, so, you will need to contact them to make this change for you. I think a value like "600" should be enough.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Hamid

Thank you Luiz

I really appriciate you guys helping me out here.

Yet another constrain i found with my new host. Unfortunetly due to being on a shared host, there is a limit of 120 sec and NOT 300sec as the php.ini file shows.

So as i understand you, i will face issues trying to make a full backup to the cloud?
    What about locally?
    Just strange that Updraftplus and BackWPup works with the FTP to my NAS.

I will download backups to my laptop. Delete all backups. As you mention i only have roughly about 1 gb content, so i will conduct a test to backup to my NAS.

/Hamid

• Luís

Hi Hamid ,

Hope you're doing well today!

You should not have issues to do a backup for our cloud (Managed Backups), I already added some codes to your wp-config.php to reduce the chunk sizes and from what I tested, it worked as expected.

But to use the "normal" backup option (Snapshot -> Add New), to send the backup to NAS, we will need to increase the "max_execution_time". Your host provider is not able to increase this value?

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.