Proper multi-db expectations

I have been watching this forum for a few months as well as reading the installation and use instructions. It seems that I should have a lot more confidence in this by now, but because of all of the forum posts with problems, I finally decided to hire someone to do this for me. However, it seems that it is confusing to everyone.

Since we want to provide a free blogging platform, we thought it best to start with the 4,096 configuration. My understanding is the plugin provides automation to creating and establishing the DB. Yet I am being told by experts after they read the instructions that there is still a major manual aspect to the set-up. Please clarify what is handled by the plug in and what is still required to do manually. For example, many people have reported the need to manually set-up the user_name and password for all of the new DBs. Is this true or does the plug-in do this?

Also, once this is all set-up, does the operation of adding new sites within the multi-site change in any way; in other words, does the allocation to the databases occur automatically? Or is there something else that needs to be set up at the blog level. I've probably read too many of the problems people have had and I want to make sure I really understand what the plugin does and what is still needed to make it all work.

• Mustafa

Hi antKat,

At first I thought too.

In fact, hyper-db instead of a multi-db thought it would be more useful.but I think it falls short of hyper-db help.WPMUDEV really helpful and this (+ point) :slight_smile:
    Another advance,Edublogs.org using multi-db and nearly they'll hosted 1.000.000 blogs. (+ point)

Operating logic:
    random blogs is different databases.
    In this way, the offset is the load per server.

When you have a blog network in which too many requests.Different physical server can host the databases.

My english not perfect,but I can understand "how can I install this plugin".A little complicated,
    but I think scalability is the heart of a project.so it is normal.

Later versions of this plugin, also I hope to developers improve even more.@Barry

Also, J. Farmer wrote the following article I think would be useful.

And Thanks @Mason and @David for great assistance. (Became They helped when setting up multi-db)

• DavidM

Hi antKat,

Let's see how we can clarify these things!

The plugin itself doesn't create the databases so the usernames and passwords would need to be specified at the point of creation.

The installation page does include a tool to facilitate that process though, to make things much easier.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/installation/

Regarding your final point, you wouldn't need to worry about anything additional when adding new sites, that is indeed all taken care of by the plugin itself.

Hope that helps!

-David

• antKat

David,
    So you say:
    The plugin itself doesn't create the databases so the usernames and passwords would need to be specified at the point of creation.

Does the tool that is included create the databases? I see that you have a place to specify the domain and then select the number you want. What does the tool actually do?

Does the tool also insert the usernames and passwords at the same time? I have read from others in the forum that they had to go back in and manually insert a User name and password for each DB. Is this part also automated with the "tool" or is the manual insertion the method? 4096 user names/passwords are a lot to manually insert especially if they are going to be set to the main user/password.

• Barry

Does the tool that is included create the databases?

No - you need to use https://premium.wpmudev.org/db-tools/db.php to create the SQL that you then run on your server to make the databases.

So if your db's need to start with mydb_ , then put that in the box, select the number of databases you want to be created. Click the button and then use the SQL created to run on your server to make them.

You then need to create a user on your database and assign full database rights for each database to that user, then finally flush the permissions on your mysql server to make sure they stick.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.