Proper way to configure / display Admin Options (Also possible Bug)

Just wondering the best way to configure the best way to display Admin options for a given user level.

Using Version 3 RC-1

In our scenario, we have a lot of different types of "Admins" that don't necessarily have the need to administrate every portion of the site.

I noticed that if you give a user a Role of "Administrator" then go into the positive rules. It works great you can turn toggle what you want the user to see.

If you set a positive rule for Admin Main Menu toggle "User", "Dashboard" and "Membership" membership wont display unless that person is also a Membership Admin (Which makes sense). once you make that User a Member Admin. The Level's positive rules no longer apply for that specific user and they can then see the entire Admin menu (because they are technically an "Admin")

So my question is. Is that expected behavior? If so maybe I am going about creating the user levels the wrong way for Admins. It more so to protect users from accidently going somewhere the don't need to. They are technically admins I just wanted to simplify what the User Levels see in the admin

• Kimberly

aware,

Hi and thanks for being a WPMUdev member!

because they are technically an "Admin"

I think this is a big part of what you are experiencing.

You are assigning usage to Membership roles you're creating, not the default WP roles.

When they are assigned an Administrator status then that's that, they are an Admin, regardless if you intend it to be for Membership only or not, because it's a WP role.

Does this make sense? I'm trying to phrase myself correctly...

You can use something like this http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/
    to fine tune your members access.

Am I missing the boat or does this make sense?

Best

Kimberly

• aware

Yeah what you said makes sense. I just thought it was strange that I could set the user as an Admin "Role" and then given them only positive/negative rules. Which is great. Because they can be an admin but then remove specific areas that they shouldn't be in. An example would be an admin that directly can manipulate users, but maybe they don't really ever need to see some custom post types because it doesn't really affect their job/typical admin tasks.

The only thing that I thought was strange was that once you enable them to be a membership admin that's where it goes funky and enables EVERYTHING and disregards the Admin Main Menu rules.

A real world example for us is having an internal User Admin. The Only thing that they can do is Edit "Users", "Memberships" & "Forums" Everything else is being hidden from them. Not necessarily from a security standpoint but more of for convenience/simplicity.

So I would think that it is a bug that once you set some one as a membership admin that the positive/negative rules are no longer enabled

• Kimberly

So I would think that it is a bug that once you set some one as a membership admin that the positive/negative rules are no longer enabled

Not necessarily from a security standpoint but more of for convenience/simplicity.

yes more convenient/simiple for your particular case

hmmm...Not a bug, perhaps just your preference?...as it was designed this way. The logical thinking is that if someone is Admin over your Membership then they will probably need access to all the Admin type things, You can always create the type of user you are looking to create with the tools I mentioned, but not everyone is going to want that. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.