ProSites and BuddyPress "create a site" feature.

hi,

i observed something but i am not sure if my observation is accurate.

under BuddyPress settings (multisite), i choose a page for "site directory".
this creates a tab for the member called "sites" and also a page where all sites are shown etc.
(screenshots)

however if using "ProSites" (on other test sites) i do not recall seeing the "create a site" link (screenshot).

does ProSites remove this ?
is my observation wrong ?
if so possibly just coincidence that certain settings were not as they should be ?

any kind observations here would be greatly appreciated.
kind regards.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @amused,

I hope you're well today!

This is an accurate observation. BuddyPress on Multiste install creates a link that allows users to easily create their own sites. Actually, they would be able to do so even without BuddyPress but it's just for their convenience.

However, with Pro Sites installed this link is taken down because Pro Sites takes control over new site creation. BuddyPress link is a standard link, a kind of "shortcut" to default WordPress "new site" form and it's not exactly the same as Pro Sites "new site" form - that's why it's hidden.

I hope that explains the issue :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• amused

excellent !
    thanks for verifying that i am not totally crazy ( not just yet :slight_smile: )
    your explanation makes complete sense and i understand totally now.
    i guess the next thing would be to compare that buddy press sites feature/settings with your own "Blogs Directory" plugin to see the pros and cons to decide which to use.
    if i have any further questions on that comparison i would open a new post but for now thanks a lot for your precise and in-depth explanation.
    much appreciated.
    resolved.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.