ProSites: Can we offer a trial without requiring payment first?

I need to be able to allow users to sign up and start the trial without requiring a credit card first. Trying before buying is much lower barrier to entry and can result in better sales overall.

I don't want to offer a free plan, just a no-credit card required trial. At the end of the trial, I'll ask them for a card.

Is there a way to do this? Or are there some hooks I can use to bypass needing the card until the end of the trial?

• m33

Ok, actually I kind of figured it out. You can turn off the "Signup on Checkout" option in the general prosites settings.

I have another question though, I noticed when I signed up with just the regular wp-registration, It set up me as the 1st prosites level. How can edit which level the user gets by default?

I noticed in the response from wp-sign up, I saw the following:

stage:validate-blog-signup
    user_name:testlayouts
    user_email:testlayouts@t.co
    signup_form_id:1013102686
    _signup_form:81cf4f264f
    blog_template:3
    blogname:testlayouts
    blog_title:testlayouts
    blog_public:1
    submit:Signup

However, I didn't see anywhere it sets the level for prosites.

I plan to create my own custom sign up page so I can always hook into anything you offer in terms of setting up a new blog on the network. Do you offer any hooks for this or how should I go about setting the level when the user signs up without using the prosites checkout ?

• Luís

Hi m33 ,

Hope you're doing well today!

After you have enabled trial period there's no option to create site without asking for payment details first, but the users will not be billed until trial has ended.

In older Pro Sites version this was working in different way and we had a lot of complaints about this so we changed the workflow but we are looking into adding an option to choose between these two workflows.

Regarding to your second question, let me ping the developer to get their valuable feedback.

Cheers, Luís

• m33

Luis So you're saying that disabling the "Signup on Checkout" option in the general prosites settings does NOT assign a level (with a trial) to the user when they sign up via the regular wp-signup.php page?

Because if you're saying it doesn't, then something's wrong because I see that it does give them a level and I assume that means the trial started for them. No?

Definitely let me know on the second issue. I'm going to bypass the prosites signup and want to pass everything via ajax so let me know of all the hooks I need to use.

• Erum

+1 on letting the user checkout without giving payment info.

It is especially silly asking them to give payment info on a manual payment option. Not quite what they are expected to give you - look this is my bank account number, please stare at until my trial ends.

I think it should be our decision as to which point we want the payment. It shouldn't be this way or that way. It needs to be a choice dependent on our strategies and how we want people to sign up.

• m33

Thanks to Erum, I have figured out how to set the trial level. However, since I'm going to create my own sign up experience, I still need to know the following:
    Luis

1. What hook do I pass the trial level for a new sign up to? Even though i can set the min in settings, I want to override this by letting the user pick the level.
    2. What hook do I pass the blog template from form to?
    3) I noticed in prosites/Prosites-files/lib/Prosites/model/registration.php it says:

/** User is validated using register_new_user so that we can use the hooks and make them available,
    * but we still need to actually create and activate the signup to get the $user_id. */

Is this something I should look out for? Do I need to activate the user before creating the site?
    5. is there anything else I should be aware of when creating my own custom signup that sets up a pro-sites trial (without payment)?

• Luís

Hi m33 ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for my late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Luis So you're saying that disabling the "Signup on Checkout" option in the general prosites settings does NOT assign a level (with a trial) to the user when they sign up via the regular wp-signup.php page?

No, what I tried to mention was that we can't start a trial without ask for the payment details.

Regarding to your last questions, after spoke with the developer, a custom signup page is not possible with the current version of plugin, and the plugin won’t get any features as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• m33

Luís

Regarding to your last questions, after spoke with the developer, a custom signup page is not possible with the current version of plugin, and the plugin won’t get any features as well.

So that's it for the prosites plugin? You're keeping it as is and not building in any hooks for developers?

Do you have something else in the works that we should know about? I have been hearing that you guys are stopping new features on a LOT of plugins lately. What is going on over there?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.