Prosites, multiple IPN with Paypal.

Ok, I'm already using paypal else where, and the IPN is already used.

Actually, I need to have multiple pro-sites gateways.

So if for example, I've got http://cats.animals.com/pro-sites/ (For all cat lovers to buy blogs) and also
http://dogs.animals.com/pro-sites/ (For all dog lovers to buy blogs) how would I setup more than one IPN?

I was looking at http://codeseekah.com/2012/02/11/how-to-setup-multiple-ipn-receivers-in-paypal/ is that a logical/reasonable way of doing things?

• aecnu

Greetings Jason,

I understand your idea completely and in my opinion it is deeply flawed in the fact that you show you are wanting to sell blogs or sub domains of sub domains in which you will run into great difficulties not to even considering the PayPal IPN. i.e. form your example if I buy a blog joe it would be joe.cats.animals.com - not happening.

Now concerning the IPN, when hosting multiple Pro Sites installations what is normally used is an IPN re-director on your hosting account side which is in fact well documented here on WPMU Dev.

In summary,
    - Multiple Marketpress installations with the same paypal account: no problem.
    - Multiple ProSite installations with the same paypal account: set up the multiple IPN script.
    - Single ProSite installation: set the IPN in your PayPal profile.

Though there is a script here on WPMU Dev that indeed does exactly these functions (attached below), I personally find it a bit complicated compared to the one I attached below Aaron's.

Aaron's is the ipn-forwarder.php.zip and mine is the simple-ipn-forwarder.zip

Please advise with your thoughts and comments regarding the issues of this ticket and the attached scripts below.

Cheers, Joe

• Jason

Ok, we'll start off with this:

form your example if I buy a blog joe it would be joe.cats.animals.com - not happening.

Yea, if it was indeed animals.com you'd be right. There's a reason I'm not being open about the exact url structure. I've created something the people would want in that way. Available internet real estate is shrinking, and domains are limited. So let's not jump to too many conclusions about if it is not happening. Furthermore, they can setup a custom domain, which is just more fee income for my project.

And then I'm move on to the multiple IPN.
    Marketpress: I don't know anything about it, I'm not using it, I'm guessing it's an eCommerce solution like http://getshopped.org/ WP-Ecommerce, but that's just a guess.

- Multiple ProSite| This is more like what I'm doing. Each ProSite is enabled on the main site of that network, under a single install. So all the cat owners on cats.animals.com can buy websites, and for all intents and purposes, are unaware of the dogs, because as we all know, cats and dogs are natural enemies and should never be put together. I haven't even mentioned the mice or birds groups have I? Lol, just keeping it lighthearted. Here's the real scoop. Its very important to me that cats and dogs are separate, so I can measure the sales difference between them. The cats will be in a social network, that can't mingle with the others as well, let's say the literally speak a separate language. Whatever analogy you want to use, the fact is I need them separate, and they don't mind. (Url is extremely short, I own a 4 Letter domain, single-exact-word.)

I'm diving into more detail, because like I said, if there's a better way, I'd really like to hear it, because the site admins over each domain, are masters of their own domain. I don't want them to see my API key, or worse, change the apikey to their own paypal.

Having many of these communities, I'm going to be babysitting these fields, and if I need to change my API key, it's going to be a hassle across all the communities. Is there a way I can set the paypal stuff globally via wp-config or something?

I seriously have considered hard coding it into the plugin....

• aecnu

Greetings Jason,

I find it completely humorous that when I use exact examples that you have given and tell you that it is not happening that you respond with Yea, if it was indeed animals.com you'd be right. which if indeed you were using animals.com I would not be right - then it is not a sub domain of a sub domain.

I am just trying to help here and all I have to go on is assumptions of the information you gave me in the manner you have presented them.

Bottom line with the IPN - with multiple Pro Sites installations a IPN forwarder must be used. That is indeed what the lead developer has stated every time this subject has arisen. Here is the original post and explanation.

I have attached two IPN forwarders above, one I created myself thinking it is easier to understand how it works and easier to configure then Aarons which is the other one.

Concerning the API, I foresee greater challenges but I will not assume anything.

However, this should get rid of the new WPMU Dev Dashboard that contains the API info:

Put into wp-config.php:

/**don't show WPMUDEV stuff **/
    define('WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING', true);

You can also simply add yourself as another Super Admin to that site and tell the new WPMU Dev API to only show it to you. Network admin dashboard --> WPMU Dev --> Manage --> Hide from clients --> Limit access to username

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Skycloud,

Sorry for the delay here, I did not see your post nor was I alerted, and the question is a good one.

They will all in reality pay the same account using the same API but different emails.

What happens is that the script is directing by way of which email is used to the correct corresponding Pro Sites installation by the input URL. Note: can be used for other IPN returns too not just Pro Sites.

PayPal allows you to have several emails tied to one account so the limit to the script and the ability to differentiate between Pro Sites installations or directing other to other IPN receivers is the PayPal limit of several emails addresses connected to one account. Currently this is 8 email accounts as indicated by:
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Watercooler/How-do-I-change-my-secondary-email-address/td-p/99048

I hope that answers your question and clarifies usage.

Cheers, Joe

• Skycloud

Hi Joe

Thank you for the answr, it makes sense.

The problem is that I do not know how to use this in Pro sites. In Pro Sites I can only set the API information. I can not change anything else, eg. Link the email to the URL. The only fields I have is:
    -API Username
    -API Password
    -Signature

Can you maybe give me more pratical usage using Pro Sites? How do I implement it using Pro Sites with only above fields?

Thank you very much

• aecnu

Greetings Skycloud,

In your Pro Sites installation the API information would remain the same for all installations.

With the scripts above for directing PayPal IPN's in either case you would put the script into the root of your network installation and the URL to the script you would put as your PayPal IPN URL.

Though you want to modify the script first with a valid PayPal email pointing to a valid Pro Sites installation URL.

Cheers, Joe

• Skycloud

Thanks again Joe, but how do I send the correct receiver email to Paypal from my Prosite installation?

I understand that I must edit the script to catch the correct receiver email when Paypal sends the IPN. I just can't see how to send the correct receiver email to Paypal. The script only catches the IPN from Paypal, read the email and then forward the IPN to the correct URL. I don't understand how to configure it before that (before sending it to Paypal). How will Paypal know that I want to 'pay' to a different email than my main email?

I am sorry for being stupid here, but I just can't see the link.

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings Skycloud,

You got me on this one and a GREAT point due to the API is not allowing you to use an email address, you can just use the API settings.

Of course it works for anything else that is using the email address, but not in this case.

This will require further investigation on how to make this work if possible.

I checked and PayPal is allowing only one API.

Hmmm, a challenge but I have not given up.

Cheers, Joe

• Jason

and in my opinion it is deeply flawed in the fact that you show you are wanting to sell blogs or sub domains of sub domains in which you will run into great difficulties not to even considering the PayPal IPN. i.e. form your example if I buy a blog joe it would be joe.cats.animals.com - not happening.

I find it completely humorous that when I use exact examples that you have given and tell you that it is not happening that you respond with Yea, if it was indeed animals.com you'd be right. which if indeed you were using animals.com I would not be right - then it is not a sub domain of a sub domain.

I am just trying to help here

I appreciate that you're just trying to help Joe. When I give an example like I did above, I just used something colorful, and illustrative for simplicity. I don't feel like I need to explain why or why not, my customers would want multi-level networks. I've noticed a trend in your style of support, of switching the conversation from a technical aspect to another subject.

I asked about paypal alternatives, I don't like paypal. We had an in depth discussion about how I should be sold on paypal. Freezing accounts and whatnot.

Here, I'm asking about hardcoding the settings for the paypal module into wp-config on a per-network basis. And then we talked about how no one would buy a domain 3 or 4 levels deep.

??

Let's stay on point here. I'm not selling animal blogs, but let's pretend it's on a subject that is out of your area of expertise, so I dumbed it down to something everyone can or at least should understand. Animals, and ridiculous bloggers.

I plan on selling a highly customized solution to businesses in a niche that I am trying to protect by not saying it out loud while we are talking, and I would appreciate some understanding; discretion would also be appreciated.

So if we can get over these small stumbling blocks I would like to return to the original focus.

Can I create a file, or in the wp-config.php file, set all the variables for this plugin, on a per network basis. If so, I would like the developer to aid in getting that list of variables for me, or tell me what I need to do. I'm positive I can do the per-network part, if I can do one network.

I can configure an IPN re-director, that's NO PROBLEM.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

To quickly answer your question, our plugins have a return url set for Paypal so it should be automatic. If you have issues please open a support ticket.

Thanks.