Prosites Theme and Plugin packages

Hi guys,

At the risk of sounding as amatuer as I am, how does one setup the plugin manager so that users will have access to certain themes and plugins when they create an account?

I need a little details here as I have installed Premium plugins manager but no plugins are displayed to manage :slight_smile:

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Mike,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

That's totally reasonable question and actually easily resolved.
    Plugins manager will only show plugins that are network deactivated, so if you have them all activated there won't be any showing in manager panel.

So what you need to do to is deactivate your plugins that you want to offer as premium ones and they will show up for you to manage them.

Let us know if you have any followup questions about this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mike!

The Pro Sites can only manage plugins that are installed on your Multisite Network. Furthermore, they have to be network as otherwise there'd actually be no point in managing them :slight_smile: That's because if a plugin is network-enabled it is (and must be) available across entire network and cannot be deactivated by an admin of the sub-site. That's how Multisite works :slight_smile:

As for giving an access to WordPress repository. On Multisite, admins of sub-sites are not permitted to install plugins and themes. They can only choose from themes and plugins that are already installed by a super-admin and this again is a WordPress native feature.

A reasoning behind is well justified: even though it's a Multisite so there are many separate sites (blogs) the WordPress core is the same, just the configuration is different. All the plugins and themes are stored in the same folders and managed from central place. Letting sub-site admins install themes and/or plugins would create a serious risks of plugin/theme conflicts and even security glitches, especially on networks with a large number of sites.

I hope that explains the issue a bit :slight_smile: If you have any further questions on this, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll be glad to assist.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Baldafrican

So again, pardon my naivety, but I would need to install ALL plugins and ALL themes that I want used on my network using the Network Dashboard. Then I would deactivate any that I am not using, but this will still allow my users to be able to access and activate them on their sites.

Is this about correct?

Also, what if I want a theme only for one site. As you know many vendors only allow 1 site per purchase. How would I resolve this? (Let me know if this part needs a new thread)

Thanks again :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mke!

So again, pardon my naivety, but I would need to install ALL plugins and ALL themes that I want used on my network using the Network Dashboard. Then I would deactivate any that I am not using, but this will still allow my users to be able to access and activate them on their sites.

That's mostly right. You do need to install all the themes and plugins that you wish to either use on your main site and your own sub-sites or to make available to admins of the other sub-sites.

As for activation. On Multisite there are some plugins (but you can only know that from a plugin description) that cannot be enabled "site-by-site" so these plugins would need to be network-enabled and they would work across entire network (though the features/usage/availability for admins may vary depending on the plugin).

The "regular" plugins though - these that can be "site-by-site" activated - should be network disabled to be available for sub-sites admins. Then, the admins can enable/disable them according to their needs.

In addition, Pro Sites can control access to these plugins making them (depending on how you set it) available only for specified Pro Sites levels (packages). That's "on top" of core WP plugin management that lets you only either network enable or enable "site by site".

As for themes: this is a little bit different. With no Pro Sites: themes that are network-enabled are available across all network so admins of sub-sites can select from them. With Pro Sites: network enabled themes are available everywhere and availability of network disabled themes can be controlled by Pro Sites (so they can be made available for some levels only).

Also, what if I want a theme only for one site. As you know many vendors only allow 1 site per purchase. How would I resolve this? (Let me know if this part needs a new thread)

There are two ways to do it in case. The first one will work with and without Pro Sites and the second one is for Pro Sites only.

1. You would want to keep the theme network disabled. When user decides to go for that particular theme, you as a super admin network enable it, then activate it on that single sub-site and then network disable again. It would stay active on that sub-site but still wouldn't be available for anybody else.

2. You would want to keep the theme network disabled as well, however in Pro Sites you can simply create an additional level that you just wouldn't set as visible. Nobody would be able to sign up for it but you - as a super admin - can assign it to any of the sites in the network. You could then "grant" the theme and necessary plugins to that level and manually assign it to that site only.

In both cases you might want to keep some kind of separate "showcase" of such themes/plugins.

Kind regards,
    Adam